Tryign to track down some history on an Austin Healey 100M

  • Gerald Dean
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013
    Hello All,
    Thank you for letting me be part of this group.  I have been searching through your archives and have enjoyed it very much.  Like many other members, what brings me here is a quest to find more history on my Austin Healey 100M.  It was built in 1955 and titled in 1956.  My father purchased this car from Eleanor Nystrom, in 1999, who was the widow of Bill Nystrom.  They were from State College PA, and this is where the car was most of its life.

    When my father purchased the car she told him that the original owner had raced it at Marlboro Raceway and that her husband had purchased it in 1960 or thereabouts.  It was originally black with red interior.  It has the louvered bonnet with leather bonnet strap.  It also has some items installed that I believe may be from whomever did race the car.  It has an old brass fire extinguisher as well as a lap timer and oil temperature gauge, installed the in the dash (pics attached).  When my father purchased the car it had been repainted red and the dashboard was white and it doesn't appear to have had any previous accident damage.  I have no idea if it was black or red when it was raced but would imagine it was black.

    I have googled for a few years now looking to find info, but any of the scca data I find doesn't show a serial numbers for the cars and I just haven't gotten very far.  I would very much appreciate any help or ideas of where else I might look to find information in my continuing quest.

    Thanks in advance,
    Chris
  • Erskine Kelly
    Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013
      Dick Thompson won a National Championship in 1958, D Production class, driving an Austin Healey - (Don't tell Generous Motors!).

      The car would have had to have a roll bar.  This early in the days of roll bars in SCCA, it could have been easily removed.  The true safety factor was questionable with these "plug-in" roll bars.

      I was out of the game, but I am sure that SCCA required much stronger roll bars after the first few years.

      On Oct 2, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Gerald Dean wrote:

      No it doesn't have a roll bar, but I never looked real close to see if one may have been removed.
      Thanks

      Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2013
        There is also the list of makes n RSC - See:

        On Oct 2, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Gerald Dean wrote:

        Thank you Ned.  I've spent several hours on RSC, but will see what I can dig up on your brother.  I don't believe that Bill Nystrom ever raced the car.  Whomever he purchased it from was the one.
        Thanks Again

        Hi Gerald, I did a search on the RSC (racing sports cars) site and couldn't find Bill Nystrom listed as a driver. It's a clunky site and is only as complete as the info that's been supplied to them. My brother Ron (R.W.) Young raced a red BN2-M from late '56 to '59 or '60 but he isn't listed in that car, only the Simca ,SIATA and the Crosley he raced. You may be able to locate him by using the programs that are also on this site. Good luck. Ned Young

          --
          -STEFAN
          http://www.at-speed.com