Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] mystery Corvette special?

  • Jock Ellis
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 25 5:25 PM
      Bruce told me he didn't remember his name. I couldn't remember Ed Rahal's after seeing the D.
      Jock

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:37 PM, David&Carol <scshmoo@...> wrote:

      Aloha Jock,

      Ask if he remembers the driver's name please.

      Many thanks.

      On 23 Sep 2013, at 13:20, Jock Ellis wrote:

      I forwarded your email of the photo to my friend now a Texan. I'm sure he'll be happy to see it.
      Jock

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:40 PM, David&Carol <scshmoo@...> wrote:

      Hi Jock,

      This sounds like the ex E.D. Martin 315S, serial 0656, that was still knocking around Georgia.

      Attached is a photo of the car at an unknown Georgia race in the 1960s (note the E Jag in the background).

      The 315 S is a DOHC V 12 with dual ignition and this one is painted red, white and blue.

      <0656DonalsonvilleGA1962?a.jpg>
      On 23 Sep 2013, at 11:16, Jock Ellis wrote:

      A high school chum went to a race in Bainbridge, GA in 1964 where he helped a Ferrari driver Change the 24 plugs on his DOHC 12-cylinder, 6-Weber carbureted engine. The car was painted to look like an American flag. Any ideas whose this was? It was not a street Ferrari.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 23, 2013, at 4:56 PM, Don Haines <gtracer66@...> wrote:

      Rick, If this car resembles a Sting Ray to anyone, they have a better imagination than I. I see a resemblance in the windscreen to those on Sting Ray's with cut down windshields, but little else. Oh wait, the engine is up front. LOL

      Don Haines

      727-487-2361 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI)

      See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      From: rollingthunder78@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:35:02 -0400
      Subject: RE: [Marlboro_Raceway] mystery Corvette special? [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Rick Mandelson included below]

      Do you mean the attached?

      I think his name was Ken Ducouse (spelling).

      That’s him standing directly behind the car with Jim McDaniel looking on at the far right.

      Rick

      www.rickmandelson.com

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

        Good afternoon all,

        I think Rick Mandelson's mystery Corvette is a special called the Cicada. The car was driven by Ken Duclos. As Jon pointed out Duclos also raced a Mustang in the early Trans-Am days.

        From what I have been able to gather, Duclos was a Corvette guy who competed at Marlboro in 1965 in a Corvette GS. There are also references to him competing elsewhere in Corvettes. I found reference to him working at a dealership/shop that specialized in Corvettes, so it seems logical he would use Corvette parts in his special. Duclos is listed as having rcae prepped a couple of early Z06's.

        Duclos and the Cicada are listed as having competed at Nassau in 1966. I know Terry O'Neil is in this group and perhaps he has a photo of the car we can compare to Rick's to confirm all this. I have three books on American road racing specials and unfortunately the car isn't talked about in any of them.

        I can't link the car or Duclos to Bill Thomas's Cheetah. Steve is right in that the Cheetah was the basis for one of the early CroSal Specials, but from there the trail goes cold. There were a number of CroSal Specials in a variety of configurations. Salyer was the "Racing Plumber" from NW Indiana and competed in the first Marlboro Twelve Hour with Nate Karras in the third Pontiac Tempest. They DNF'd with a host of issues. I am still researching that race if anyone has anything.

        Well that's about all the useless information I have for now.

        Take care,

        Mike Matune

      • Terry Oneil
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013
        Hi Everyone,
        This is the Cicada-Chevrolet driven by Ken Duclos at Nassau in 1966.
        Regards
        Terry

        Message 4 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013
          Hi MIke,

          Ralph Salyer was at Marlboro with two Chettahs in April 1964. They were blue coupes driven by himself and Bud Clusserath. They finished 3rd and 4th in CM, but lower than 6th  overall.

          Some scans attached below.

          Later Salyer cut the top off one of them.

          On 2 Oct 2013, at 11:07, Mike Matune wrote:

          Good afternoon all,

          I think Rick Mandelson's mystery Corvette is a special called the Cicada. The car was driven by Ken Duclos. As Jon pointed out Duclos also raced a Mustang in the early Trans-Am days.

          From what I have been able to gather, Duclos was a Corvette guy who competed at Marlboro in 1965 in a Corvette GS. There are also references to him competing elsewhere in Corvettes. I found reference to him working at a dealership/shop that specialized in Corvettes, so it seems logical he would use Corvette parts in his special. Duclos is listed as having rcae prepped a couple of early Z06's.

[...]

        • Mike Matune
          Message 5 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

            Wow, looks like I was way off target with that one!

          • Mike Matune
            Message 6 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

              Great shots, thanks for sharing!

              Message 7 of 26 , Nov 12, 2013

              Good morning all,

              After I missed the identification of the Corvette Special at Marlboro so badly, I thought I should try to rectify the situation. I was able to contact Ken Duclos and here is an extract of what he said:

              hi Mike,the cicada is mine thats the one i built thats me driving, that car was totaled at Bryar park in i think 68, iknow it was never repaired, but i wish we had it would be worth some good $$ now, oh well. the other car i have no idea of it never saw it anyplace.hope that solves 1/2 the mystery. cheers Ken Duclos

              The rear engined car pictured in the photo at Nassau Terry O'Neil sent is in fact a Cicada. The car pictured at Marlboro is not and Ken could not identify it, except to say it wasn't his. I have attached both photos as a reminder since it has been a while since we discussed this.

              So we are back to something of a mystery, anybody else have any ideas?

              Take care,