RE: [Marlboro_Raceway] mystery Corvette special?

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013

    Do you mean the attached?

    I think his name was Ken Ducouse (spelling).

    That’s him standing directly behind the car with Jim McDaniel looking on at the far right.

    Rick

    www.rickmandelson.com

    Message 2 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
      I think the correct spelling of the last name is Duclos. He ran a Mustang in '67 in a couple of Trans-Am races.

      Jon Mello
      Lompoc, CA

      Message 3 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013

        You’ve got it.

        I was never a good speller.  Even my spell check can’t figure out what I’m trying to spell.

        Rick

        www.rickmandelson.com

        I think the correct spelling of the last name is Duclos. He ran a Mustang in '67 in a couple of Trans-Am races.

        Jon Mello

        Lompoc, CA

        I think his name was Ken Ducouse (spelling).

        That’s him standing directly behind the car with Jim McDaniel looking on at the far right.

        Rick

        I remember a dark blue colored special raced at Marlboro in 1965/1966, appeared to be a Corvette Stingray top bodied, without its lower half panels.  Anyone remembers its driver?  An aero nightmare, but at Marlboro, its dragster like speed helped.

                                                         Michael Ling

        Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

      • Jock Ellis

          I think the correct spelling of the last name is Duclos. He ran a Mustang in '67 in a couple of Trans-Am races.

          Jon Mello

          Lompoc, CA

          I think his name was Ken Ducouse (spelling).

          That’s him standing directly behind the car with Jim McDaniel looking on at the far right.

          Rick

          I remember a dark blue colored special raced at Marlboro in 1965/1966, appeared to be a Corvette Stingray top bodied, without its lower half panels.  Anyone remembers its driver?  An aero nightmare, but at Marlboro, its dragster like speed helped.

                                                           Michael Ling

          Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

        • MIchael Ling
          Message 5 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
            Thanks Rick for your attachment.  The Decourse car would be too elegant compared to the one I have in mind.  The car I am thinking of appeared in the book: Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs p.38, sat behind Mark's GT350.
                                                     Michael

            Message 6 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
              The special I have in mind appeared in Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs. p.38.  It sat behind Mark's GT350.  I've been searching on this special for years, and began to wonder about my own recollections.  This photograph confirmed that it existed.  I searched with Glen's historian on the 1966 Glen 500, it did not show on the entry list nor in the race results.  Perhaps the car was not pre-entered, and failed tech upon arrival.
                                                     Michael Ling

              Thanks Rick for your attachment.  The Decourse car would be too elegant compared to the one I have in mind.  The car I am thinking of appeared in the book: Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs p.38, sat behind Mark's GT350.
                                                       Michael

              I remember a dark blue colored special raced at Marlboro in 1965/1966, appeared to be a Corvette Stingray top bodied, without its lower half panels.  Anyone remembers its driver?  An aero nightmare, but at Marlboro, its dragster like speed helped.
                                                               Michael Ling

              Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

            • Don Haines
              Message 7 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
                Rick, If this car resembles a Sting Ray to anyone, they have a better imagination than I. I see a resemblance in the windscreen to those on Sting Ray's with cut down windshields, but little else. Oh wait, the engine is up front. LOL

                Don Haines

                727-487-2361 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI)

                See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

                To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 9 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
                    Hi Jock,

                    This sounds like the ex E.D. Martin 315S, serial 0656, that was still knocking around Georgia.

                    Attached is a photo of the car at an unknown Georgia race in the 1960s (note the E Jag in the background).

                    The 315 S is a DOHC V 12 with dual ignition and this one is painted red, white and blue.

                    To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                    I remember a dark blue colored special raced at Marlboro in 1965/1966, appeared to be a Corvette Stingray top bodied, without its lower half panels.  Anyone remembers its driver?  An aero nightmare, but at Marlboro, its dragster like speed helped.

                                                                     Michael Ling

                    I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter.

                    Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

                    Message 10 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013

                      Michael

                      If you could scan your book picture and send it, I think you would have a better chance of identifying it as I’m sure a lot of people don’t have the book your referring to.

                      Rick

                      www.rickmandelson.com

                      Message 11 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013

                        I did stretch the imagination barrier a little.

                        Rick

                        www.rickmandelson.com

                        Message 12 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013

                          How about the Studebaker camper………..

                          Rick

                          www.rickmandelson.com

                          Message 13 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
                            I am going to try scanning.  The definitions were very poor, it did not copy well.

                            Message 14 of 26 , Sep 23, 2013
                              I forwarded your email of the photo to my friend now a Texan. I'm sure he'll be happy to see it.
                              Jock

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:40 PM, David&Carol <scshmoo@...> wrote:

                              Hi Jock,

                              This sounds like the ex E.D. Martin 315S, serial 0656, that was still knocking around Georgia.

                              Attached is a photo of the car at an unknown Georgia race in the 1960s (note the E Jag in the background).

                              The 315 S is a DOHC V 12 with dual ignition and this one is painted red, white and blue.

                              <0656DonalsonvilleGA1962?a.jpg>

                              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 15 of 26 , Sep 24, 2013
                                Aloha Rick,

                                I noticed that. Looks like a 1960 Lark VIII (Note single headlights. 1961 went to four headlights).

                                David

                                  Message 17 of 26 , Sep 24, 2013
                                    Those old Ferrari race cars were so beautiful. In my opinion, so many of those older cars street as well as race cars were/are much better looking than what we see on the streets today.

                                    To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Sep 24, 2013
                                      LOL I thought so..

                                      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: rollingthunder78@...
                                      Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:57:14 -0400

                                      Message 19 of 26 , Sep 25, 2013

                                        Oh, yer good.

                                        Regards,

                                        Rick

                                        www.rickmandelson.com

                                          Message 21 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

                                            Good afternoon all,

                                            I think Rick Mandelson's mystery Corvette is a special called the Cicada. The car was driven by Ken Duclos. As Jon pointed out Duclos also raced a Mustang in the early Trans-Am days.

                                            From what I have been able to gather, Duclos was a Corvette guy who competed at Marlboro in 1965 in a Corvette GS. There are also references to him competing elsewhere in Corvettes. I found reference to him working at a dealership/shop that specialized in Corvettes, so it seems logical he would use Corvette parts in his special. Duclos is listed as having rcae prepped a couple of early Z06's.

                                            Duclos and the Cicada are listed as having competed at Nassau in 1966. I know Terry O'Neil is in this group and perhaps he has a photo of the car we can compare to Rick's to confirm all this. I have three books on American road racing specials and unfortunately the car isn't talked about in any of them.

                                            I can't link the car or Duclos to Bill Thomas's Cheetah. Steve is right in that the Cheetah was the basis for one of the early CroSal Specials, but from there the trail goes cold. There were a number of CroSal Specials in a variety of configurations. Salyer was the "Racing Plumber" from NW Indiana and competed in the first Marlboro Twelve Hour with Nate Karras in the third Pontiac Tempest. They DNF'd with a host of issues. I am still researching that race if anyone has anything.

                                            Well that's about all the useless information I have for now.

                                            Take care,

                                            Mike Matune

                                          • Terry Oneil
                                            Message 22 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013
                                            Hi Everyone,
                                            This is the Cicada-Chevrolet driven by Ken Duclos at Nassau in 1966.
                                            Regards
                                            Terry

                                            Message 23 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013
                                              Hi MIke,

                                              Ralph Salyer was at Marlboro with two Chettahs in April 1964. They were blue coupes driven by himself and Bud Clusserath. They finished 3rd and 4th in CM, but lower than 6th  overall.

                                              Some scans attached below.

                                              Later Salyer cut the top off one of them.

                                              On 2 Oct 2013, at 11:07, Mike Matune wrote:

                                              Good afternoon all,

                                              I think Rick Mandelson's mystery Corvette is a special called the Cicada. The car was driven by Ken Duclos. As Jon pointed out Duclos also raced a Mustang in the early Trans-Am days.

                                              From what I have been able to gather, Duclos was a Corvette guy who competed at Marlboro in 1965 in a Corvette GS. There are also references to him competing elsewhere in Corvettes. I found reference to him working at a dealership/shop that specialized in Corvettes, so it seems logical he would use Corvette parts in his special. Duclos is listed as having rcae prepped a couple of early Z06's.

                                              Message 24 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

                                                Wow, looks like I was way off target with that one!

                                              • Mike Matune
                                                Message 25 of 26 , Oct 2, 2013

                                                  Great shots, thanks for sharing!

                                                  Message 26 of 26 , Nov 12, 2013

                                                  Good morning all,

                                                  After I missed the identification of the Corvette Special at Marlboro so badly, I thought I should try to rectify the situation. I was able to contact Ken Duclos and here is an extract of what he said:

                                                  hi Mike,the cicada is mine thats the one i built thats me driving, that car was totaled at Bryar park in i think 68, iknow it was never repaired, but i wish we had it would be worth some good $$ now, oh well. the other car i have no idea of it never saw it anyplace.hope that solves 1/2 the mystery. cheers Ken Duclos

                                                  The rear engined car pictured in the photo at Nassau Terry O'Neil sent is in fact a Cicada. The car pictured at Marlboro is not and Ken could not identify it, except to say it wasn't his. I have attached both photos as a reminder since it has been a while since we discussed this.

                                                  So we are back to something of a mystery, anybody else have any ideas?

                                                  Take care,