Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro Pictures

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2013
      Should be no problem.

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Howard
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "jim_arnett" <jim_arnett@...> wrote:

        > Howdy,
        >
        > I have a box of slides that I took at Marlboro, back when I was in High School and College; 1964-196?.
        >
        > Are you able to scan them?
        >
        > I'd be happy to send them to you if you are.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jim Arnett
        > VRG Mini #27

        If any of these slides or the photos taken by Jim Arnett or any one else contain Shelby GT350s, I would really like to see them posted. My car was #7 driven by Ben Warren at the 6-hour race 7/25/65. I also keep track of any other Shelbys at any other track.

        Howard Pardee
      • Jock Ellis
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
          In 1967 the Savannah Region held a Regional race at the WW II airfield in Vidalia, GA which had two hard-fought races between a Shelby 350GT and a D Jag driven by Ed Rahal. I imagine some of you knew him. In the Saturday 5-lapper, the 350 out dragged Rahal and kept a slight lead all the way to the checker. In the Sunday 15-lapper, Rahal turned the tables and outdragged the Shelby down the main runway and held the lead until the combination of cylinder head damage in the D and the 350 driver, Dick Ott of the Atlanta Region (I think) winding his v8 up to 7500 in a desperation move to win. It worked and the Ford again won by a hair. Good racing.
          I met Ed in the '80s and did a column on the race for the Waycross Journal-Herald. But probably no one read it because of the Challenger crash that day.
          Jock

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Sep 17, 2013, at 6:30 PM, "Howard" <saachp@...> wrote:

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "jim_arnett" <jim_arnett@...> wrote:

          > Howdy,
          >
          > I have a box of slides that I took at Marlboro, back when I was in High School and College; 1964-196?.
          >
          > Are you able to scan them?
          >
          > I'd be happy to send them to you if you are.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Jim Arnett
          > VRG Mini #27

          If any of these slides or the photos taken by Jim Arnett or any one else contain Shelby GT350s, I would really like to see them posted. My car was #7 driven by Ben Warren at the 6-hour race 7/25/65. I also keep track of any other Shelbys at any other track.

          Howard Pardee

        • Howard Pardee
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
            Jock,

            You had given me this information before, but you didn't mention Dick Ott. I went through the internet and found an obituary for a Richard Ott of Marietta, GA who passed away 3/25/11. He was born 1/31/36 so this might be the same person. I don't have a Richard or Dick Ott owning a '65 or '66 GT350, but I certainly don't have all the names of the owners of these almost 3,000 cars. Do you remember whether the car was a factory race car or a converted street car and whether it was a '65 or '66?

            Howard Pardee

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2013
              I could very well be wrong on that. I remember Rahal and the 350 driver talking after the race and the 350 driver looked like Ott, whom I has seen occasionally at Atlanta Region SCCA meetings. I didnt even remember this name until recently. I didn't know many people in the club outside of some of the auto crossers.
              Someday I have to get my 8 mm film of the race on DVD. It wasn't very good but I enjoyed looking at the cars when you could mcjeck out an 8 mm projector from the library.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2013
                Jock,

                I have a good friend in Ohio who is actively in the film to DVD business. If you would consider sending your 8 mm to him, I'll certainly pay for the costs to run off a DVD and shipping for you and for me. I don't know where you live but I live in Connecticut. If you don't want to ship the film maybe I could pick it up and drive it to Ohio and back. Let me know if you're interested.

                Howard

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2013
                  Think ill take you up on that. If you want to pm me I'm at jockellis@...

                  Sent from my iPhone