Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Stopwatcher - former contributor

  • tcooper@sprintmail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
      Bob:
      I remember your column. I started the Autocross Assocation and often visited on talked to Ruth an Bob. How in Richmond Tx. All I can drive now is my electric wheel chair. I really enjoy reading bout Marlboro and the various people we where there. I used to drive # 48 in G production and often worked with Col. Hauser when we want out of town to the races. I was also the SCCA Solo one events ditector. Have a good 2007.
      Ted & Margaret Cooper
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
        Yeah, I remember you both well and if you recall, Pat and I ran Solo 1
        for a couple years in the mid-70s. Just to make sure we're straight on
        things, I wrote a lot for Bob on a lot of subjects, but it was Brian Lee
        who did the Freewheelin' column.

        Cheers and good health, Bob (now in KC)

        tcooper@... wrote:
        > *Bob:*
        > *I remember your column. I started the Autocross Assocation and often
        > visited on talked to Ruth an Bob. How in Richmond Tx. All I can drive
        > now is my electric wheel chair. I really enjoy reading bout Marlboro
        > and the various people we where there. I used to drive # 48 in G
        > production and often worked **with Col. Hauser when we want out of
        > town to the races. I was also the SCCA Solo one ev**ents
        > ditector. Have a good 2007.*
        > *Ted & Margaret Cooper*

      • RICK MANDELSON
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
          Hey Brian

          Everyone remembers you...............

          I've always enjoyed your writings,

          Rick Mandelson

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
            Brian: Anybody that ever read the Stopwatcher remembers your articles.
            About two years ago my brother, Phil Davis (WDC rallyist in the 70s
            and 80s), gave me his entire collection of Stopwatchers. I went
            through tham all and kept anything with racing history or about the
            brothers Davis (self centered, but you have to be to compete!). The
            Stopwatcher and the Daily News were the only sources of motorsports
            reporting. Thanks for all the years of reading enjoyment, I doubt it
            paid that well, if at all!

            Brad Davis
          • Bob Storck
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
              sscracer wrote:
              > Thanks for all the years of reading enjoyment, I doubt it
              > paid that well, if at all!
              >
              > Brad Davis

              Bob Shenton often admitted that he, Ruth and all the writers were
              remunerated on the same pay scale as church ushers!
            • tcooper@sprintmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
                does anybody remember Wally  that took picture for the stopwatcher, he should have many photos and other data. Ted
                Brian: Anybody that ever read the Stopwatcher remembers your articles.
                About two years ago my brother, Phil Davis (WDC rallyist in the 70s
                and 80s), gave me his entire collection of Stopwatchers. I went
                through tham all and kept anything with racing history or about the
                brothers Davis (self centered, but you have to be to compete!). The
                Stopwatcher and the Daily News were the only sources of motorsports
                reporting. Thanks for all the years of reading enjoyment, I doubt it
                paid that well, if at all!

                Brad Davis

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Bob Storck
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 16, 2007
                  Wally Strange, a fine fellow and generous with his prints. A lot of
                  folks who didn't know him personally, didn't know he was black. Only of
                  note as so few in the sport were back then. No discrimination or
                  anything, just cultural preferences.

                  Cheers, Bob

                  tcooper@... wrote:
                  > *does anybody remember Wally that took picture for the stopwatcher,
                  > he should have many photos and other data. Ted*

                • Stacey Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 17, 2007
                    Wally Strange passed away several years ago, I believe in 2000 or 2001. I had just initiated a search for him when I found his obituary on the Internet; he'd died just a few weeks before. I wrote to his widow and she sent me every negative that she knew of from Wally's DC Region days. I had every one of them printed and returned the negs to her.

                    Stacey

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 17, 2007
                      Thanks Stacy:
                      I felt that Wally was gone but hoped he has left much data. you are doing a super job.
                      Ted

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 17, 2007
                        Stacy

                        You might suggest that she offer them for sale as a group. I've seen
                        some collections trading for reasonable prices lately. They are quite
                        desirable to collectors and historians, and photo rights for publication
                        are modest but not bad income.

                        Cheers, Bob