My 1957 Lotus Restored

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013
      During 1959-60 I owned and raced a 1957 2 Liter Lotus Bristol  Mk10. Just to name a few places like Marlboro, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Vineland. Click on the link below and you will see the beautiful restoration by the Barber Museum. Thank you John Viviani!!
      Bob Kahmer

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013
        Bob: around that time, there were 3 brothers from Balto. named Fred, Alan, and Sheldon Cohen. One of them, Alan, (I think) raced a Lotus Bristol at Marlboro, perhaps other tracks. Did you know any of them?
        Did you sell your car to Alan at some point, then buy it back later?

        Thanks, Ray Fleming

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013

          Alan was the tennis pro who went to Florida and was the driver of the Lotus.

          Sheldon hung around Baltimore for quite some time before moving to New York.

          Rick

          www.rickmandelson.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013
            Bristol Lotus Mk10 ,I used to own this car or another like it  in the sixties for a couple of years.I traded it to Warren Shamlien for a Lotus 18. It is a beautiful restoration .Tyhe car I owned was black with a square tubing single rollbar hoop .Although I never raced it but occasionally drove it through the Virginia country side in Clarke county it was really fast with fantastic acelleration .One car I wished to have never traded.  A thrill to see these pictures . Mike Krueger

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
              The Square tubing roll bar, is dead give away that was my Lotus (RCR 520) We made that roll bar!
              Bob Kahmer

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                I sold the Lotus (RCR520) in early 1960 to Al Cohen. I took in trade his Triumph TR3

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013

                  Thanks for the Lotus-Bristol info.

                  Rick, thanks for the info re the 3 Cohen brothers; they all were good guys.

                  Guys, I'm still trying to track down the name of my instructor at a Marlboro driving school in 1962 or 63. He was an Afro-American man who raced an Elva MK 4 (or something)sports-racing car. He owned or co-owned  a combo bar/restaurant/motel located on the west side of Rt. 301, about a mile or so south of the track. Considering his proximity, I assume he taught several schools and that one of you might also have had him as an instructor. I have tried tracing him through the current owners, but to no avail.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                    Aloha All,

                    Thank you for all the information about the Lotus X Bristol.

                    Attached are two scans of a black Lotus X Bristol at Marlboro 29 July 1962 driven by Dave Sharp according to the entry sheet.

                    Would Sharp have been the next owner after Alan Cohen and before Michael Krueger?

                    Best wishes,

                    David Seielstad

                    Kauai

                    PS photos were taken by myself.

                    DNS

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                        Dear Bob,

                        Do you remember who or where your Lotus X came from or what its history was prior to your ownership?

                        Many thanks.

                        David Seielstad

                        Kauai

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                          Ben Fowke and I bough the From Hal.Hamlin Cars, England

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                            Dear Bob,

                            Many thanks.

                            Did Ben ever race the car?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                              Ben drove the lotus one time at Cumberland..did not like it so I bough him out