Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Lee Sacks joined.

  • Lee Sacks
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2013
    Actually I had two EM Volvo powered specials. The first was my 1959 sprite that we stuffed a Volvo engine and transmission in to. The other was mid engined, built from from the ground up using a tubular space frame, VW transaxle, Porsche brakes and a Sabel fiberglass body. Which version were you referring to? Pictures of both are attached.

    Regards,

    Lee Sacks
    leesacks11@...

    Lee Sacks     P.O.Box 261     Owings Mills, MD 21117-0261 USA
    phone: 410-363-3688          e-mail:
    < mailto:leesacks11@...>

  • Jock Ellis
    Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2013
      No, Tony, I lived in Atlanta then and only a half hour away now. I was and am a Porsche freak. Back in the mid '60s the service manager at RBM Motors, which my SCCA sponsors Jack Ryan and Lin Coleman owned and managed respectively, told me that a white 356C on the garage floor had placed third OA in the Marlboro 6-Hour. So when reading Autoweek I always read about the Marlboro races. I found this forum and they were kind enough to let me join although my only time in MD. Has been on the interstate highway. When I told them about the 356, someone found the results of the '64 race and wrote that the third place finishers were J Ryan and L Coleman. I had never known who drove it. I lived at the bottom of the hill used in earlier times for the Atlanta Soapbox Derby. Once I heard what I thought was a semi backing off as it came down the hill. I looked out and it was that white 356. Whoever was driving flat footed it away from the traffic light at the bottom of the hill and I could hear it for about 3/4 mile.
      But I like all race cars. During my 25 years as a newspaper reporter and sports editor I got to cover a lot of dirt track racers and in 1992 was able to bang a press pass to cover the Essex Racing Camel Light car which was prepared where I live now.
      I found the dirt track racers, even those missing a lot of teeth, to be incredibly marketing savvy. I hung my reports on angles rather than telling about the Late Model race and mentioning winners in the other, lower classes. If the mini stock winner had the best story of the week, his race got top billing. So the winners were quick to tell me good poop in hopes that their sponsor got his name in the lead paragraph.
      I've found that the racers I've met seem to be the most down to earth folks I came into contact with. I even met Ferrari F1 driver Jody Scheckter when moved his Fire Arms Training Systems business to where I live. He seemed nice, too.
      Jock

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 19, 2013, at 6:25 PM, Tony Adamowicz <a2z_racer@...> wrote:

      Greetings Jock,

      Tks for the follow up....I too miss SSG, it was a great publication. Hope I help answer some of your interest in Volvo with my experience. Back in the day it was pretty much as far as I could go within legal limits.... I beleive I was the very first to install a rear roll bar on a B sedan. That made all the difference in handling technique , from under steering to dirt tracking over--steering machine. Were you part of the Wash. DC region ? Your interest in Volvo performance ?

      " Keeping the Legends Alive "

      a2z

      "If you CAN dream it,
      It WILL happen "