Longer RUSH trailer

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 15, 2013
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 15, 2013
        Hi Bob,

        As you say, this is Hollywood.

        Still it slimes James Hunt. No one, including Hunt, was near Lauda when his car went out of control. He was not hit by another car and pushed into the barrier. Lauda was in a full drift going through a curve when the car suddenly drops at the rear and goes out of control. I think  the rear suspension collapsed. Ferrari denies this, but Lauda believes that something broke.

        In any case, Hunt was a playboy, but also a serious racer. He, however, would not have knocked another car into the wall. The premise that he did this to win the championship is baloney since Lauda had a commanding lead in the standings at this point and there was no assurance that knocking him out of one race would change anything.

        Hunt would had to have been clairvoyant to think that taking Lauda out would pave the way for him to win the driver's championship. Going into the German GP Lauda had 61 points, Scheckter had 30, Depailler 26 and Hunt had 24.   The accident happened in the second lap and the race was stopped. Peterson was 1st, Hunt was 2nd, Lauda was 8th when the race was suspended. After Hunt won the race he still  only had 35 points, Scheckter 36 and Lauda still had 61. Hunt was disqualified  from the earlier British GP and stripped of his 9 points for winning the race.

        That may be Ron Howard's idea of what racing is like, but it is unfair to Hunt who cannot defend himself.

      • slosilveralfa173
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 15, 2013

          Thanks David,

          Clear and insightful/to the point as ALWAYS --It's to bad Howard is doing a period <1976> F1 movie like the Sly Stallone 2001 stinker "Driven" about the CART/Indy Car series - real yukker!

          Howard could have done something like Michael Keyser's "Speed Merchants" staying to "the facts" but in a Hollywood way like Steve McQueen' best all time racing movie "Le Mans" <save for the droopy blonde> Hey, aren't we ALL "WAITING"

          This movie will hurt -- I was in the <Ferrari> pits at Watkins Glen for all the Lauda Ferrari years I am witness to what was going on between Lauda and Hunt at the 76 Glen GP <despite the awful weather up to race morning when a bone chilling wind was howling down from the north pole>

          Hunt and Lauda came out of the drivers meeting Sunday morning and skipped gingerly <for Lauda> back to their garages arm-in-arm singing some goofy song like a couple school girls to kick the rumor in the but that they had a serious feud going.

          Come on "Ron"

          whiningly,

          sam smith

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013

              Hi David,

              Way fewer wrecks back then -- many more deaths/serious injuries - no one intentionally crashed someone out like Prost/Senna/Schumacher and others have in recent times

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                David,
                Do you have some insight to the plot that we can't see from the trailer?

                I didn't see anything in there that showed Hunt crashing Lauda.

                On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, <Sam_Smith01@...> wrote:

[...]

                -STEFAN
                http://www.at-speed.com
                http://photos.at-speed.com
                http://www.formulasaab.com
                VSCCA comp #57
                VRG comp #97
              • slosilveralfa173
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013

                  Hi Stefan,

                  We know Lauda's 'Ring' accident was a single car accident -- but the 'trailer' implies it was as a result of the rivalry - I hope the actual movie plays it right

                  sam

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                    The trailer shows an accident occurring in front of Lauda and then Lauda spinning off as a result of trying to avoid it. Stop the video at the 1:21 mark, you can see Lauda's name on the side of the helmet as he views an accident in front of him.  The next shot in the trailer shows him slicing between spinning cars and then hitting the barrier when he bursts into flames. There's no contact with anything except the wall until the Bret Lunger car comes along and hits Lauda's stationary and burning Ferrari in the road.

                    I see nothing in the trailer that indicates anything other than close racing.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                        Hi David,
                        I re-watched the trailer (again, which I don't mind) and see how you might get that impression.

                        I actually have to revise my earlier note too.  I can't say for sure that the scene where Lauda sees an accident in front of him and the scene where he has his famous accident at the ring are consecutive scenes. I think they just juxtaposed those scenes (plus the prior one with Hunt and Lauda running wheel to wheel) for a general driving and crashing part of the trailer.

                        Looking at them carefully now, they don't appear to have any continuity, which makes sense in a trailer situation.

                        On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM, David&Carol <scshmoo@...> wrote:

                        Hi Stefan,

                        In the trailer there is a scene of two GP cars banging wheels and one spinning off into the guard rail, then it seems to cut to period footage of the Lauda crash and fire. There is a scene with the actor playing Hunt and his girl friend where he is saying something like  he will do anything to win.

                        From all those hints I guessed at the plot.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                          Hi Stefan,

                          The trailer does not correctly depict what actually happened and plays up a supposed rivalry between Lauda and Hunt. Another thing that is not accurate. Especially at the time of the German GP. Hunt was no where near being a rival to Lauda at that point in the season.

                          To me it is just Hollywood making up stuff to sell a movie. The real story of the season is dramatic enough.

                          There are some real stories that could be told, such as Enzo's first thought being that he had to hire another driver to replace Lauda and save the constructor's championship. Lauda nearly dying and then driving again at Monza. Lauda's decision not to race at Japan.

                          Hunt had his own problems that season. He was under indictment for his actions at Spain and Brands Hatch. Both of which Hunt won and were later awarded to Lauda.

                          At Spain Hunt won, then was disqualified for having a car that was too wide, then reinstated. Poor Laffite was also dq'ed for being too wide. The FIA "court" later ruled to reinstate both Hunt and Laffite, but to fine the teams $3,000.

                          In Britian Hunt and Laffite were taken out by Rega when he hit Lauda.  Rega drove back to the pits and retired. Laffite's car was stuck in a bank, Hunt parked his when the red flag was shown. Hunt elected to race in a spare car. That was disallowed. By this time his original car had been towed back to the pits and repaired so he raced it, while Regazzoni and Laffite were allowed to use spare cars. Laffite and Regazzoni were disqualified at the end of the race. Hunt was eventually disqualified for not completing the first lap and restarting the same car that had been pushed while the race (original start) was still in progress and losing 9 points for the win.

                          Then at Monza the fuel used by Penske and McLaren was found to be above the maximum octane rating that resulted in Watson's and Hunt's qualifying times being thrown out and they had to start from the back of the grid.

                          There is enough real drama without the phoney love interest etc. being fabricated for a "more exciting" movie.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                            Hi Stefan,,

                            The trailer seeks to create a misunderstanding of the actual events, to make the movie appear more exciting. SOP in Hollywood I guess, but it portrays an inaccurate series of events.

                            I think that is a disservice to Hunt and misrepresents formula 1 racing of the time.

                            On 16 Apr 2013, at 09:02, Stefan Vapaa wrote:

[...]

                            From all those hints I guessed at the plot.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 16, 2013
                              Wow, that's a lot of history I wasn't aware of. Hopefully half of that actually makes it into the movie.

                              -STEFAN
                              Brevity of message due to typing on a phone with my thumbs

                                      --
                                      -STEFAN
                                      http://www.at-speed.com