Re: A great story about a 48 Plymouth convertible

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2013
      There was a similar story on a Jan 22, 2013 episode of Chasing Classic Cars on Velocity channel. Wayne Carini had a 1955 AC Ace Bristol he wanted to restore and was looking around for a prospective buyer. He got a lead from a man whose father had bought a 55 AC Ace new and had raced it winning several races including one at Put In Bay, an island in Lake Erie. At the last race of the '55 season at Watkins Glen he blew the engine and sold the car. From 1952 to 1959 races were held through the island town; in 2009 The Put In Bay Road Race Heritage Society revived the race at the airport for safety reasons, but hold parade laps on the original course.

      Wayne's AC was the identical car so the son bought the car to present it to his dad for his 78th birthday. His dad being a former Put In Bay winner was invited to the revival events and they presented his AC to him at the staging area for the parade laps.

      This Chasing Classic Cars show is season 6 episode 13 entitled "Happy Birthday". I have it recorded from FIOS, Velocity is showing some season 6 show reruns, but "Happy Birthday" is not scheduled on FIOS through April 12, and FIOS does not offer Velocity On-Demand, but I think you might find it on HULU or other streaming sites.

      A friend of mine had an AC Ace Bristol in 1963 when I became the 1st MGB owner in Idaho so this show had a personal familiarity for me also. Hope you can find it and watch it.

      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bstorck@...> wrote:

      > My kind of story!!!
      >
      > Send us more of these, Jason!
      >
      > Put on our facebook, Vreni and Kyle.
      >

      > On 3/29/2013 6:58 PM, Steve Hartwich wrote:
      > >
      > > *http://www.youtube.com/user/HagertyKnowsClassics?v=eSaQWdWxvbM*

    • slosilveralfa173
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2013

        Bob, a BIG Thanks for this very heartwarming story - GREAT

        sam