Re: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] My Lotus Mk10/now Lotus 9

  • donaldfrye@...
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
      Sam:

      I think i remember the car.  Wasn't it maroon and he ran it without the side panels on the hood so you could see those Edelbrock heads.  If it's the same car, it used to cruise the Bethesda Hot Shoppe.  I remember seeing it when I was also running laps around the Tele-Trays in my Chevy powered 40 Ford  sedan.

      That was before I got smart and traded the Ford for a Jag 120 with the engine in a basket.  While I was building the Jag, I thought many times I wasn't so smart.

      Don Frye

      On 03/07/13, Sam_Smith01@... wrote:

      Hi All,

      My dad had an 'AA' friend who lived in Kensington, MD., Bob Stabler - Bob and his boys Brook and Rod were racers/hot rodders - my earliest memory of sports cars back to about 1955 or 56 is of the Stablers MG-TD/V8-60<flat head Ford with a three carb manifold> They moved to Deale, MD and got into Sprint Cars. They owned a red Volvo 544 as well

      sam smith

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
        I purchased a Lotus 9 with a AC Bristol engine from a pilot outside of Leesburg Va.Back in the mid sixties . I traded it to Warren Shamlian for a Lotus 18 two or three years later. It was black with the big hump on the hood to clear the AC engine ,what a fast car I never raced it,but drove it on the street many a time.

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
          Aloha Michael,

          This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

          The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

          Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

          Anyway a black Lotus with a bristol engine

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
            That appears to be the Lotus Mk10 , I owned in 1959

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013

              Hi Don,

              That sounds about right

              Thanks, sam

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                Aloha All,

                Apologies for typo.

                Correct date is 29 July 1962, NOT 1967.

                On 8 Mar 2013, at 10:34, David&Carol wrote:

                Aloha Michael,

                This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                <LotusX:Bristol_ Sharp29Jul62.jpg>

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Hi Michael,

                  Small world. I only saw it race once at Marlboro in July 1962 (sorry about the 1967 typo).