Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] My Lotus Mk10/now Lotus 9

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
      Gee Rick

      I recall you setting some records:
      • Widest Porsche 356
      • Most different cars entered in a Regional
      • Least likely A Sedan
      • plus a few others involving sideways driving for distance ...
      Cheers, Bob

      On 3/6/2013 12:51 PM, Rick Mandelson wrote:
      Bob

      Now, that's funny........

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
        BOB,
        Since I lived in Towson, near Bob and Stanley Speakman and Bruce (can i borrow your "T" gear for my 911) Jennings, I got to know Bob pretty well.  As I remember he used to work for Shofer Furniture Stores in south Baltimore.  To help his racing, he began to sell performance tires out of the back of the store.  I bought a set of Firestone race tires from him as autocross tires.  After he left Shofer, he may gone to work for a Datsun dealership. I remember both he and Stanley were taking auto-shop courses to help him work on his Datsun. Been a long time. Last time I saw Bob, Stanley had passed away.
        Dennis Kline  (Drivers School, 1957, MGA Twin-Cam)

        In a message dated 3/6/2013 7:02:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bstorck@... writes:

        Hey now!!!

        Back in the day, that was all quite serious, and remember that things like Allards, MG TDs and sleek Simca race cars used flat head Ford V8s
        as speed upgrades that were soon to be sneered at. Lots of flat head and F-head racers back in those days. Lots of Jabro and Quantam Saabs, Torpy and Sherman used puny BMW 700 powerplants in their DSRs that held the lap records, plus there were a whole bunch of Fiat powered specials that raised eyebrows but kept winning.

        Speakman was a Volvo dealer, and besides the fact that Saabs, Volvo P444s and P544s and even the laughed at Borgwards ran away from the Morris Minors, Dauphines, Beetles and occasional Anglias in the Marlboro and Thompson enduros, I'm sure he was eager to do some advertising. He was one of the earliest Datsun dealers and racers, and was a real tiger and respected competitor. I recall him crossing the Road Atlanta finish line tumbling and ending up unconscious in his FP Datsun roadster ... and he may have won! IIRC, he was a Runnoff Champ.

        Cheers, Bob

        On 3/6/2013 4:30 PM, jockellis@... wrote:
        I started laughing at the Volvo engine.

        Jock Ellis

        On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

        Bob

        Now, that's funny........

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
          Sam:

          I think i remember the car.  Wasn't it maroon and he ran it without the side panels on the hood so you could see those Edelbrock heads.  If it's the same car, it used to cruise the Bethesda Hot Shoppe.  I remember seeing it when I was also running laps around the Tele-Trays in my Chevy powered 40 Ford  sedan.

          That was before I got smart and traded the Ford for a Jag 120 with the engine in a basket.  While I was building the Jag, I thought many times I wasn't so smart.

          Don Frye

          On 03/07/13, Sam_Smith01@... wrote:

          Hi All,

          My dad had an 'AA' friend who lived in Kensington, MD., Bob Stabler - Bob and his boys Brook and Rod were racers/hot rodders - my earliest memory of sports cars back to about 1955 or 56 is of the Stablers MG-TD/V8-60<flat head Ford with a three carb manifold> They moved to Deale, MD and got into Sprint Cars. They owned a red Volvo 544 as well

          sam smith

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
            I purchased a Lotus 9 with a AC Bristol engine from a pilot outside of Leesburg Va.Back in the mid sixties . I traded it to Warren Shamlian for a Lotus 18 two or three years later. It was black with the big hump on the hood to clear the AC engine ,what a fast car I never raced it,but drove it on the street many a time.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
              Aloha Michael,

              This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

              The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

              Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

              Anyway a black Lotus with a bristol engine

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                That appears to be the Lotus Mk10 , I owned in 1959

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013

                  Hi Don,

                  That sounds about right

                  Thanks, sam

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Aloha All,

                    Apologies for typo.

                    Correct date is 29 July 1962, NOT 1967.

                    On 8 Mar 2013, at 10:34, David&Carol wrote:

                    Aloha Michael,

                    This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                    The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                    Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                    <LotusX:Bristol_ Sharp29Jul62.jpg>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Hi Michael,

                      Small world. I only saw it race once at Marlboro in July 1962 (sorry about the 1967 typo).