Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] My Lotus Mk10/now Lotus 9

  • f minor
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
         Yup, I remember that incident quite well, I was a worker at that turn
      when that incident occurred.  A pin in the the clevis system broke
      or came loose (he had two master cylinders in parallel).  When we
      got to him, he was upside down.  I well remember a voice from down
      under saying "Don't cut the seat belts, don't cut the seat belts).  He
      easily crawled out from under.  The car had to be bodily carried out
      by hand, still upside down, as it was sitting on bent over saplings,
      etc.
                  Forrest Minor

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
        Bob

        Now, that's funny........

      • jockellis@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
          I started laughing at the Volvo engine.

          Jock Ellis

          On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

          Bob

          Now, that's funny........

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
            Hey now!!!

            Back in the day, that was all quite serious, and remember that things like Allards, MG TDs and sleek Simca race cars used flat head Ford V8s
            as speed upgrades that were soon to be sneered at. Lots of flat head and F-head racers back in those days. Lots of Jabro and Quantam Saabs, Torpy and Sherman used puny BMW 700 powerplants in their DSRs that held the lap records, plus there were a whole bunch of Fiat powered specials that raised eyebrows but kept winning.

            Speakman was a Volvo dealer, and besides the fact that Saabs, Volvo P444s and P544s and even the laughed at Borgwards ran away from the Morris Minors, Dauphines, Beetles and occasional Anglias in the Marlboro and Thompson enduros, I'm sure he was eager to do some advertising. He was one of the earliest Datsun dealers and racers, and was a real tiger and respected competitor. I recall him crossing the Road Atlanta finish line tumbling and ending up unconscious in his FP Datsun roadster ... and he may have won! IIRC, he was a Runnoff Champ.

            Cheers, Bob

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013

              Bob

              Just to let you know, I enjoyed your explanation of his excursion into the woods. ( that's what I thought was funny )

              I towed my Porsche with a 544 and Leon Sacks had a Volvo in his Sprite and ran something modified.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                Anybody remember the Ford V860 powered MGTD rage?

                Don Frye

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013

                  On 3/6/2013 6:39 PM, donaldfrye@... wrote:
                  Anybody remember the Ford V860 powered MGTD rage?

                  Don Frye
                  I built one in the late 50s as a teen in San Antonio, later installed a Mercedes 190SL engine, and found the Ford had more torque and put it back in. I've found it is still running and "restored" to better condition than I ever had it originally!

                  Cheers, Bob

                • slosilveralfa173
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                    Hi All,

                    My dad had an 'AA' friend who lived in Kensington, MD., Bob Stabler - Bob and his boys Brook and Rod were racers/hot rodders - my earliest memory of sports cars back to about 1955 or 56 is of the Stablers MG-TD/V8-60<flat head Ford with a three carb manifold> They moved to Deale, MD and got into Sprint Cars. They owned a red Volvo 544 as well

                    sam smith

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                      Gee Rick

                      I recall you setting some records:
                      • Widest Porsche 356
                      • Most different cars entered in a Regional
                      • Least likely A Sedan
                      • plus a few others involving sideways driving for distance ...
                      Cheers, Bob

                      On 3/6/2013 12:51 PM, Rick Mandelson wrote:
                      Bob

                      Now, that's funny........

                      Taking this a bit off topic, didn't Bob Speakman have a Lotus 9 in which he had installed a Volvo engine? Don't I recall him setting a distance record into the woods at the end of the straight?

                    • dkline91466
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                        BOB,
                        Since I lived in Towson, near Bob and Stanley Speakman and Bruce (can i borrow your "T" gear for my 911) Jennings, I got to know Bob pretty well.  As I remember he used to work for Shofer Furniture Stores in south Baltimore.  To help his racing, he began to sell performance tires out of the back of the store.  I bought a set of Firestone race tires from him as autocross tires.  After he left Shofer, he may gone to work for a Datsun dealership. I remember both he and Stanley were taking auto-shop courses to help him work on his Datsun. Been a long time. Last time I saw Bob, Stanley had passed away.
                        Dennis Kline  (Drivers School, 1957, MGA Twin-Cam)

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                          Sam:

                          I think i remember the car.  Wasn't it maroon and he ran it without the side panels on the hood so you could see those Edelbrock heads.  If it's the same car, it used to cruise the Bethesda Hot Shoppe.  I remember seeing it when I was also running laps around the Tele-Trays in my Chevy powered 40 Ford  sedan.

                          That was before I got smart and traded the Ford for a Jag 120 with the engine in a basket.  While I was building the Jag, I thought many times I wasn't so smart.

                          Don Frye

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Aloha Michael,

                              This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                              The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                              Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                              Anyway a black Lotus with a bristol engine

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                That appears to be the Lotus Mk10 , I owned in 1959

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013

                                  Hi Don,

                                  That sounds about right

                                  Thanks, sam

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                    Aloha All,

                                    Apologies for typo.

                                    Correct date is 29 July 1962, NOT 1967.

                                    On 8 Mar 2013, at 10:34, David&Carol wrote:

                                    Aloha Michael,

                                    This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                                    The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                                    Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                                    <LotusX:Bristol_ Sharp29Jul62.jpg>

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                      Hi Michael,

                                      Small world. I only saw it race once at Marlboro in July 1962 (sorry about the 1967 typo).