Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] My Lotus Mk10

  • jockellis@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2, 2013
      Conventional wisdom says that to make a fortune in racing you start with a large fortune. But Skip seems to have done just the opposite. I know I had a great time back in '81.

      Jock Ellis

      On Mar 2, 2013, at 6:45 PM, sbroethel@... wrote:

      If you have never been to the Barber Museum - and Track - it is well worth the trip!

      Sue

      In a message dated 3/1/2013 3:32:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bobk4@... writes:

      My 59 Lotus Mk 10 being restored by Barber Motorsports Museum

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2013
        Barber Motorsports Park is not Skip Barber. It was created by a local by the name of George Barber. He also set up the museum, first for just his vehicles.

        But I agree that Skip Barber school is great (I did it at Road Atlanta).

        Robert

      • jockellis@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2013
          Thanks. But Skip Barber Racing does hold schools there, n'est pas?

          Jock Ellis

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 5, 2013
            Taking this a bit off topic, didn't Bob Speakman have a Lotus 9 in which he had installed a Volvo engine? Don't I recall him setting a distance record into the woods at the end of the straight?

            Cheers, Bob
            My 59 Lotus Mk 10 being restored by Barber Motorsports Museum

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                 Yup, I remember that incident quite well, I was a worker at that turn
              when that incident occurred.  A pin in the the clevis system broke
              or came loose (he had two master cylinders in parallel).  When we
              got to him, he was upside down.  I well remember a voice from down
              under saying "Don't cut the seat belts, don't cut the seat belts).  He
              easily crawled out from under.  The car had to be bodily carried out
              by hand, still upside down, as it was sitting on bent over saplings,
              etc.
                          Forrest Minor

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                Bob

                Now, that's funny........

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                  I started laughing at the Volvo engine.

                  Jock Ellis

                  On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

                  Bob

                  Now, that's funny........

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Hey now!!!

                    Back in the day, that was all quite serious, and remember that things like Allards, MG TDs and sleek Simca race cars used flat head Ford V8s
                    as speed upgrades that were soon to be sneered at. Lots of flat head and F-head racers back in those days. Lots of Jabro and Quantam Saabs, Torpy and Sherman used puny BMW 700 powerplants in their DSRs that held the lap records, plus there were a whole bunch of Fiat powered specials that raised eyebrows but kept winning.

                    Speakman was a Volvo dealer, and besides the fact that Saabs, Volvo P444s and P544s and even the laughed at Borgwards ran away from the Morris Minors, Dauphines, Beetles and occasional Anglias in the Marlboro and Thompson enduros, I'm sure he was eager to do some advertising. He was one of the earliest Datsun dealers and racers, and was a real tiger and respected competitor. I recall him crossing the Road Atlanta finish line tumbling and ending up unconscious in his FP Datsun roadster ... and he may have won! IIRC, he was a Runnoff Champ.

                    Cheers, Bob

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013

                      Bob

                      Just to let you know, I enjoyed your explanation of his excursion into the woods. ( that's what I thought was funny )

                      I towed my Porsche with a 544 and Leon Sacks had a Volvo in his Sprite and ran something modified.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                        Anybody remember the Ford V860 powered MGTD rage?

                        Don Frye

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013

                          On 3/6/2013 6:39 PM, donaldfrye@... wrote:
                          Anybody remember the Ford V860 powered MGTD rage?

                          Don Frye
                          I built one in the late 50s as a teen in San Antonio, later installed a Mercedes 190SL engine, and found the Ford had more torque and put it back in. I've found it is still running and "restored" to better condition than I ever had it originally!

                          Cheers, Bob

                        • slosilveralfa173
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013

                            Hi All,

                            My dad had an 'AA' friend who lived in Kensington, MD., Bob Stabler - Bob and his boys Brook and Rod were racers/hot rodders - my earliest memory of sports cars back to about 1955 or 56 is of the Stablers MG-TD/V8-60<flat head Ford with a three carb manifold> They moved to Deale, MD and got into Sprint Cars. They owned a red Volvo 544 as well

                            sam smith

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                              Gee Rick

                              I recall you setting some records:
                              • Widest Porsche 356
                              • Most different cars entered in a Regional
                              • Least likely A Sedan
                              • plus a few others involving sideways driving for distance ...
                              Cheers, Bob

                              On 3/6/2013 12:51 PM, Rick Mandelson wrote:
                              Bob

                              Now, that's funny........

                              Taking this a bit off topic, didn't Bob Speakman have a Lotus 9 in which he had installed a Volvo engine? Don't I recall him setting a distance record into the woods at the end of the straight?

                            • dkline91466
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                                BOB,
                                Since I lived in Towson, near Bob and Stanley Speakman and Bruce (can i borrow your "T" gear for my 911) Jennings, I got to know Bob pretty well.  As I remember he used to work for Shofer Furniture Stores in south Baltimore.  To help his racing, he began to sell performance tires out of the back of the store.  I bought a set of Firestone race tires from him as autocross tires.  After he left Shofer, he may gone to work for a Datsun dealership. I remember both he and Stanley were taking auto-shop courses to help him work on his Datsun. Been a long time. Last time I saw Bob, Stanley had passed away.
                                Dennis Kline  (Drivers School, 1957, MGA Twin-Cam)

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 7, 2013
                                  Sam:

                                  I think i remember the car.  Wasn't it maroon and he ran it without the side panels on the hood so you could see those Edelbrock heads.  If it's the same car, it used to cruise the Bethesda Hot Shoppe.  I remember seeing it when I was also running laps around the Tele-Trays in my Chevy powered 40 Ford  sedan.

                                  That was before I got smart and traded the Ford for a Jag 120 with the engine in a basket.  While I was building the Jag, I thought many times I wasn't so smart.

                                  Don Frye

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                      Aloha Michael,

                                      This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                                      The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                                      Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                                      Anyway a black Lotus with a bristol engine

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                        That appears to be the Lotus Mk10 , I owned in 1959

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013

                                          Hi Don,

                                          That sounds about right

                                          Thanks, sam

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                            Aloha All,

                                            Apologies for typo.

                                            Correct date is 29 July 1962, NOT 1967.

                                            On 8 Mar 2013, at 10:34, David&Carol wrote:

                                            Aloha Michael,

                                            This sounds as if it may be the Lotus Bristol Dave Sharp drove at Marlboro 29 July 1967 #71.

                                            The Lotus Bristol had belonged to Otto Linton.  There is a dispute about its sale. Otto claims he intended to keep the car and that an employee sold it without his knowledge.

                                            Attached is a scan of the Lotus X exiting the Boot in July 1962.

                                            <LotusX:Bristol_ Sharp29Jul62.jpg>

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 8, 2013
                                              Hi Michael,

                                              Small world. I only saw it race once at Marlboro in July 1962 (sorry about the 1967 typo).