George Walker Morgan at Daytona 24 hour

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2013
      A year before I was at Daytona, I was inspired by the tale of George Walker who ran the 1968 24 hour race solo in his +4 Morgan. I'm told that he drove the car down from NY, did all the service on the car including filling, etc., finished the race and drove it home!

      I understand George was required to nap about 1 hour out of every 4 or 5, and am not sure whether it was finances or obstinateness that drove him to do it alone. IMHO, a feat like that deserves more than a footnote to the odd article, or a brief mention by Tommy Kendall in the race broadcast.

      Cheers, Bob
      (for another amazing, yet obscure feat, we named our '85 One Lap of America entry the "Spirit of Francois Lecot!" Look him up.)