Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Janet Guthrie Jaguars

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 19, 2013
      Many thanks Craig, and I appreciate your sharing the info with the group. My attitude toward these "fact checking" exercises is that folks really enjoy the "didja know" type info, and at the same time, there's a bunch of really bad info out there.

      I had mainly asked as I had seen pix of Janet in an XK-120, and there was mention of an XK-140. Especially as they are frequently confused, I wondered if there were two cars or someone's error.

      This helps greatly.
      ---------------------- btw
      I just was inspired to research a 6 hour enduro in which I competed at Green Valley Raceway in Sept. '66, which like the Marlboro and Thompson enduros, had been run for years before, but this time these races were part of the new TransAm series as well in '66.

      I gathered info from several sites, but ironically, some of the best was from a Camaro site ... and no Camaros competed in that race or in that year ... only Corvairs and Chevy IIs. For fact checkers, cross checking between SCG and CP&A articles, pix, etc revealed many mistakes and contradictions. Not only was a Mexican CS Mini given credit for the DP win, but only two drivers were listed for each car; but some had as many as four! Despite the fact that I was the car owner, only my guest co-drivers were listed ... but I still have the trophy!!

      Bottom line. Don't trust your memory, and cross check sources.

      Cheers, Bob

      On 1/19/2013 9:04 PM, Craig Wheeldon wrote:
      According to page 79 of Janet Guthrie's autobiography "Janet Guthrie - A Life at Full Throttle" the Marlboro school date was the last day of February, 1963 and yes, she drove her light blue 1956 Jaguar XK140MC.

      A photo of that Jaguar is in this link I sent Mike privately: http://www.taurtoisemotorsports.com/seventies/Woman.html.

      In the photo, which also appears in the the autobiography, Janet is driving the car at Thompson in June, 1964, where she went from last place to 2nd place per the caption.

      The other link sent to Mike was of Janet's gray 1953 XK120M purchased in 1960 and used for hill climbs and gymkhanas in '61 - '62: http://www.thesportgallery.com/janet-guthrie-1961/.

      Regards,

      Craig Wheeldon
      Maple Ridge, B.C.

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 21, 2013

        When the 1st F1 race was run at Indy I drove out from Richmond with my buddy Mark during a hurricane which had blown up from the Gulf. He had a Cobra Mustang IRS and there was no one on the highways in the rain in W Va, KY, etc. and we hauled ass. On the 10-14 hour trip I taught him all I know about F1 and racing in general as he was a rookie.   At Indy we went to a famous Mustang tuner’s shop for him to buy suspension parts and Janet’s race shop was next door. There was some other very attractive young female driver there and she sold me one of Janet’s autographed books. Which I can’t find now. My buddy had a AM radio talk show on cars and was awarded full media credentials just like ABC as he was the only AM radio host that applied.  Our credentials allowed us access anywhere on the track and pits. Mark had a personal radio interview with Michael Schumacher and some other driver and separately one with two team managers from  Ferrari and Williams I think. He asked the Williams team manager if he thought Ferrari was cheating (as they swept the series that year) and all he was willing to say was that it took them 2 years to catch up with Ferrari. He then asked the Williams manager if they switched drivers and he got Michael if he could win. After he caught his breath he said certainly which probably didn’t not help him with driver relations. Mark was at the start finish line near the end and I drifted back across the track to sit in the stands to watch the  finish at the line.  As Michael and Rubens came down the straight toward the checker Michael backed off and let Rubens win to repay him for several favors Rubens had similarly done for him earlier in the season. As they cam across the finish line all cameras were on them and one picture was on the cover of AutoWeek. If you look very closely you can see me in the stands in my red Ferrari sweat shirt with the Ferraris in the foreground. So I did make the cover of Autoweek.  Can any one else top that?  I’m sure that will start a great conversation.

        Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
        CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
        6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
        T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
        craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

        This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.