Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro Program - 1965 Six Hours - July 24-25, 1965

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
      Which made matters worse, his son ( early teens? ) was right there.

      I still remember his tennis shoes up against the rear windows of the ambulance as it pulled out of the pits.

      A sad day for sure.

      From: mikebooth1@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:29:35 -0500

      Mike and Howard--thanks for the providing the Marlboro program.  It brought back lots of memories,  I was a flagman at that race, and I'd uploaded (a couple of year's ago) some photos I took at that race to the Marlboro group.

      I saw a lot of familiar names in the program.  One was Bill Dunlap.  In 1966 I bought the purple Mini he raced in one of the prelims before the 6 hour.  Bill was a really big guy, and had moved the driver's seat way into the back of the car.  Jim Murphy made me a extension for the ignition key, using a piece of coat hanger, so I could reach the key without undoing my seat belts.

      Bill Dunlop died at the track a few years later, before a practice session.  I believe he had a heart attack, in his car, waiting on the oval.

      On Jan 12, 2013, at 7:16 PM, Mike Matune wrote:

      Good evening,

      Attached is the second of three installments of Marlboro Programs. This one covers the 1965 Six Hour.

      Several of you have made some nice comments about my posting these, but the credit belongs to Howard Pardee who took the time to retrieve these from his archives and then did all the (considerable!) scanning.  My effort has simply been as computer operator to get these on the site.

      To me this begs the question of what else folks might have that would help to chronicle Marlboro.

      There is one more program to go and I will try to get it up within the next week. This is really taxing my computer skills!

      Take care,

      Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!