Marlboro Program - 1965 Six Hours - July 24-25, 1965

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2013

    Good evening,

    Attached is the second of three installments of Marlboro Programs. This one covers the 1965 Six Hour.

    Several of you have made some nice comments about my posting these, but the credit belongs to Howard Pardee who took the time to retrieve these from his archives and then did all the (considerable!) scanning.  My effort has simply been as computer operator to get these on the site.

    To me this begs the question of what else folks might have that would help to chronicle Marlboro.

    There is one more program to go and I will try to get it up within the next week. This is really taxing my computer skills!

    Take care,

    Mike Matune

  • jockellis@bellsouth.net

      Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
        Aloha Jock,

        3rd OA in the 1965 6 Hour was Bruce Jennings and Ron Grable Race #77 (usual for Jennings) FM. Jennings was from Towsen and Grabel from Randlestown, Maryland

        3rd OA in the 1964 6 Hour was J. Ryan and L. Coleman Porsche. I do not have the program or starting line up so cannot tell you the race number , class or type of Porsche.

[...]

      • Mike Booth
        Message 4 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
          Mike and Howard--thanks for the providing the Marlboro program.  It brought back lots of memories,  I was a flagman at that race, and I'd uploaded (a couple of year's ago) some photos I took at that race to the Marlboro group.

          I saw a lot of familiar names in the program.  One was Bill Dunlap.  In 1966 I bought the purple Mini he raced in one of the prelims before the 6 hour.  Bill was a really big guy, and had moved the driver's seat way into the back of the car.  Jim Murphy made me a extension for the ignition key, using a piece of coat hanger, so I could reach the key without undoing my seat belts.

          Bill Dunlop died at the track a few years later, before a practice session.  I believe he had a heart attack, in his car, waiting on the oval.

            Message 6 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
              Mike,
                 You're right about Bill. I remember well how he was waiting in the bowl to go out in practice. It was either late '68 or sometime in '69 ( I  had just started racing in late Nov. '68 so it probably was '69). I remember standing at the end of the pit lane area watching his group getting ready to out and suddenly everybody crowded around his car. It was later learned that he succumbed from a heart attack. Kind of put cold water on that weekend.

              Don Haines

              727-233-0481 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI) or 240-285-9834 (MD)

              See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
                Which made matters worse, his son ( early teens? ) was right there.

                I still remember his tennis shoes up against the rear windows of the ambulance as it pulled out of the pits.

                A sad day for sure.

                From: mikebooth1@...
                Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:29:35 -0500

[...]

                Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!