Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Thompson Speedway Reopening

  • jockellis@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
      Don, got any clips from SoS? I was a newspaper sports editor and found round track racers the most media savvy of the people in any sport. I always obliged by calling their car by their sponsor's name. As a kart racer and newspaper owner I traded coverage and ads for race fees.
      Didn't Bill Sholar, founder of Porsche Club of America and Porsche of North America, utilize Prince George County for 356 ere publicity shots?
      Jock

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 11, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Don Haines <gtracer66@...> wrote:

      When I attended my first race at Marlboro, we had to park on U.S.301 because the lot was completely full. And the property next door to the track was also full. I seem to remember that originally, that land owner started with a simple wood frame house but by the end of racing at Marlboro, he had (apparently) made enough money off of charging for parking, to build a new brick house. Of course the money could have come from other sources. But he did make money from letting people park on his property.

      You're right about lack of media coverage. With the exception of Ev Gardner's column there was virtualy no coverage of sports car racing in the DC/Metro area. The only source of coverage came from Competition Press but they didn't usually carry information about Regional races. When I was racing, the first thing I would do after a race was write a press release and/or race result release and give it to the sports editor of the Frederick News-Post. They always printed them. I figured that maybe I could get some sponsorship if people were aware that I was out there.  I remember asking the editor why they didn't cover motorsports and he said that honestly, he (and none of his staff) had any real knowledge of motorsports. This led to me writing a weekly column called "Spotlight on Speed" that ran for a number of years in that paper.

      Don Haines

      727-233-0481 (FL) or 808-989-0047 (HI) or 240-285-9834 (MD)

      See examples of my previous work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      From: bstorck@...
      Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:02:49 -0600
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Thompson Speedway Reopening

      IMHO, the noise was a minimal part of the discontent. Too few residents within earshot, and the surrounding pines were a great sound barrier. It was the image of car racing. Greasy and grimy vs other sports.

      What was a hassle was the many who would park up and down US301, rather than pay the fees in the totally inadequate lot. And local police never provided traffic control, as they do for churches (not paid or refused?) Then there were the crowds of locals who'd watch for free along the hiqhway overlooking to boot.

      My ex's grandmother worked for the county, and passed on how they were bothered that car races didn't get coverage except by Ev Gardner, while Laurel, Acquasco, Bowie and other horse tracks were on the front page of the papers and splashed all over TV! We told her how hard SCCA tried, but it was the media bias.

      Cheers, Bob

      On 1/11/2013 8:44 AM, Sam_Smith01@... wrote:
      Thanks Mike -- pretty much sums it up

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013

        I remember going to the OBI many times, and I remember leaving a few times, those were great times!

        Bill Z

        From: Sam_Smith01@... <Sam_Smith01@...>
        To: "Marlboro Raceway" <Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 10:27 AM

        Mike and everyone -- I passed Marlboro every work day for the last two years and eight months <retireed a week ago today> the Marlboro Raceway will never open in any capacity related to racing or the history that took place there -- the foot print and stands are mostly still there - but so to is the animiss of the locals against the track - Al Turner, the counties largest developer and New York real estate developer and vintage sports car racer Harvey Siegel could not re-open Marlboro -- VERY dead issue

        Sam Smith

        Mike Matune" <mmatune@...>

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
            IIRC, Venlo Wolfsohn had some ties to the Post, and while Ev would write on local drivers anywhere, in any type race car, the Post, Star and Herald was more likely to cover a heroin distributor's baseball game than auto racing ... other than Indy or Daytona.

            The last year of Marlboro, and early Summit Point, some of us wrote and faxed reports to the local papers ... even making sure each paper got a different writeup ... only to be clipped down to a paragraph or ignored. We had a flock of local winners and runnoff qualifiers at the Glen Nationals,  only to ge totally left out, while the Little League World Series in Williamsport got a big article and full box scores. SAD.

            Cheers, Bob

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013

              Eddie

              Certainly, no question about fun.

               As I've said many times before, some of the "going's on'" should not be put in print, however it is indelibly emblazoned in my mind, forever.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013

                Ah, Bill

                Well said.............

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                  Having been a newspaperman for 25 years, I've seen papers that would not print any sports unless it was about youth. So, you get a demolition derby for kids and you are IN!

                  Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                  <(null)>

                  Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!

                • Don Haines
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Jock,
                       Sadly, over the years and numerous moves, what clips I had got lost. I'm just lucky that I still have my racing scrapbook with photos and race results. The only clip I have is an article written by my successor at the paper Betty Lester who wrote her own column which mostly concentrated on drag racing.

                    To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                    [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

                  • Terry Oneil
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 12, 2013
                      Don,
                      Could you tell me, what is the date of your earliest race date / results in your scrapbook please?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 12, 2013
                        November 24, 1968  My first race, it was on my birthday.

                        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                        From: pact.terryoneil@...
                        Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:38:08 +0000