Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] 1965 Marlboro Governor's Cup Program [1 Attachment]

  • Terry Oneil
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
    Hello all,
    A little bit of information on Howard's car (which may already be known by Howard)
    The car was entered at Nassau in 1965, number 17.
    It took part in 3 different races, as detailed below
    Nassau Tourist Trophy - dnf, driver B Warren.
    Governor's Trophy race - dnf, driver B Warren
    Nassau Trophy race - 22nd 3cl 13/14, driver J Scott.
    Attached is a picture of the car at Nassau.

    Terry O'Neil
    Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013

    Terry,

    Thanks for the info, I am sure Howard will appreciate it.

    Attached is a picture of Howard's car I took at the 2006 SAAC Convention at VIR. Thought it was interesting to compare the two photos.

    Take care,

    Mike

  • Howard Pardee

      Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        Mike,

        I've already contacted Terry and thanked him for sending the photo. As you know, he is the author of a book on the Bahamas Speedweeks. 5R095 ran in three races there in 1965 and the photo he sent was one from his book.

        Thank you very much for posting the program scans. I hope they weren't too much work for you.

        Howard

      • jockellis@bellsouth.net

          Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
            Jock,

            Do you happen to remember the name of the driver of GT350?

            Howard Pardee
            On Jan 7, 2013, at 10:49 AM, jockellis@... wrote:

            Someone from the Atlanta Region raced a 350 Shelby in a 1967 regional at Vidalia, Ga on the city airport which was a WW II training base. Ed Rahal had his D-Jag there for what would be its final outing. In neither the Saturday 5-lapped nor the Sunday 15-lap feature were those two cars over about 100 feet apart. Great races. The Shelby won both but the feature only because he wound that 289 up to 7500 to get past the D late in the race.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:18 AM, "Mike Matune" <mmatune@...> wrote:

            Terry,

            Thanks for the info, I am sure Howard will appreciate it.

            Attached is a picture of Howard's car I took at the 2006 SAAC Convention at VIR. Thought it was interesting to compare the two photos.

            Take care,

            Mike

          • John Ellis
            Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
              Funny you should ask because it is almost always on the tip of my tongue but only once a year or so can I remember. I'll check with the AR to see if any oldtimer knows. A friend who just retired from the GE plant where I work raced a Sprite back then. I''ll email him. I remembered my friend from "back in the day" and hope he might remember the 350GT driver. Dick something or another. Might have been Dick Ott, come to think of it but I'll check.

              Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                Jock,

                I'll throw out a couple of names that might be the driver: William Floyd or Jonathan Ponter?

                Howard Pardee