RE: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro

  • bill z
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

      From Google maps, very overgrown but the footprint is still visible

      https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

      Bill Z

      From: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sam_Smith01@...
      Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:10 PM
      To: Marlboro Raceway
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro

      The original footprint of the Marlboro track is still there - the owners did in the last week "scrape" the parking lot boot area - the oval and grandstandfs are still there - they are still hostile to folks that want to come take a nostalgic look - they have at times loaded the parking lot with nursery/shrubs for sale -- but it does not matter - the old Marlboro community wants nothing to do with a return to any form of motorsports or a historic recognition there

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
        Put this in the Google Maps search window:

        +38° 48' 24.15", -76° 44' 19.09"

        Should put you right in the middle of the oval.

        I have seen a couple of Websites that had photos from "recent" visitors.
        Some w/ permission to explore, some otherwise.

        Chris

      • les robertson
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
          Good photos, but very sad. I enjoyed many races on that blacktop in my Kelly-beach FV in the 60's. Great memories. Thanks, Les Robertson

          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
          From: mmatune@...
          Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:51:50 -0500
          Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro [3 Attachments]

          [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

          Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
            I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of the track that introduced me to sports car racing 1955 - 1960. They are on the next to last page of photos titled Dick Miller Photos. The first photo may be the best to get an idea of the banking along the start/finish straight.

            I also have a good aerial photo of the track in 1966, but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I'll also provide some links to web sites I've found while browsing for photos of Marlboro back in the good ole days. The first has good photos and photos 13 to 17 may be best for seeing what the banking may be: http://www.thevintageracer.com/rullman/rullman12hr001.htm

            Others:

            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101633.html?sub=AR

            http://www.barcboys.com/MarlboroHome.htm

            http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html

            Always enjoy reading what's going on at this site.

            Dick Miller

            P.S. I've not been able to find how to attach a photo to this post, so I will put it in the Photo section titled Marlboro Aerial

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
              I just added the Marlboro aerial photo to my Dick Miller Photos which put it on the first page since photo albums are listed by date.

            • Yuccaseed@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                Sure was 1966, I worked for Group44 and we won that race overall.
                I loved seeing so many cars and friends in these pictures, THANK YOU for the memories.
                Cheers,
                 Don Breslauer

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                  On 11/16/2012 10:47 AM, Richard wrote:
                  > I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of
                  (snip)

                  > http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html
                  This is my favorite:

                  "Sometimes you win and receive silver - not $$$ (VIR-'64)"

                  = Awards Ceremony and a Men's Fashion Show.

                  Chris