Re: Marlboro

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

    Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

  • Ed Diehl
    Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
       Hi, Craige, your estimate on the banking at Marlboro sounds about right. Although I do remember at the first driver school it sure seemed steep.(grin)
      Hope you are doing OK. We are still rolling along in Central Florida Region. Cheers, Ed.

      Ed Diehl

        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

          From Google maps, very overgrown but the footprint is still visible

          https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

          Bill Z

          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
            Put this in the Google Maps search window:

            +38° 48' 24.15", -76° 44' 19.09"

            Should put you right in the middle of the oval.

            I have seen a couple of Websites that had photos from "recent" visitors.
            Some w/ permission to explore, some otherwise.

            Chris

          • les robertson
            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
              Good photos, but very sad. I enjoyed many races on that blacktop in my Kelly-beach FV in the 60's. Great memories. Thanks, Les Robertson

              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
              From: mmatune@...
              Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:51:50 -0500
              Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro [3 Attachments]

              [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

              Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

            • Richard
              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of the track that introduced me to sports car racing 1955 - 1960. They are on the next to last page of photos titled Dick Miller Photos. The first photo may be the best to get an idea of the banking along the start/finish straight.

                I also have a good aerial photo of the track in 1966, but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I'll also provide some links to web sites I've found while browsing for photos of Marlboro back in the good ole days. The first has good photos and photos 13 to 17 may be best for seeing what the banking may be: http://www.thevintageracer.com/rullman/rullman12hr001.htm

                Others:

                http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101633.html?sub=AR

                http://www.barcboys.com/MarlboroHome.htm

                http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html

                Always enjoy reading what's going on at this site.

                Dick Miller

                P.S. I've not been able to find how to attach a photo to this post, so I will put it in the Photo section titled Marlboro Aerial

                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                  I just added the Marlboro aerial photo to my Dick Miller Photos which put it on the first page since photo albums are listed by date.

                • Yuccaseed@aol.com
                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                    Sure was 1966, I worked for Group44 and we won that race overall.
                    I loved seeing so many cars and friends in these pictures, THANK YOU for the memories.
                    Cheers,
                     Don Breslauer

                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                      On 11/16/2012 10:47 AM, Richard wrote:
                      > I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of
                      (snip)

                      > http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html
                      This is my favorite:

                      "Sometimes you win and receive silver - not $$$ (VIR-'64)"

                      = Awards Ceremony and a Men's Fashion Show.

                      Chris