Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro

  • jockellis@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
      What is the track site today?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 15, 2012, at 9:43 AM, "Pelouze, Craige" <craige.pelouze@...> wrote:

      Try USGS Maps.  As I remember the bowl did not have a very steep banking, typical of ¼  milers of the day.  Probably 8 degrees?  Look at some pictures of cars sitting on false grid  or taking the checker and you can get a good idea.  also the elevation change coming out of Cappys and exiting the bowl can give you another idea of grade change.

      Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
      CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
      6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
      T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
      craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

      This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

    • btd342
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
        I have the USGS topo maps, they do not have sufficient detail to determine the banking on the track. 7 or 8 degrees would be typical for a short oval of that time. but photographs make it look some what less steep. I have tried to get some measurements from the photos I have, but I get a very wide variance in the angle measurement. I was woundering if anyone knows what the banking actually was.
        Thanks for the responce though.

        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "jockellis@..." <jockellis@...> wrote:

        > What is the track site today?
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Nov 15, 2012, at 9:43 AM, "Pelouze, Craige" <craige.pelouze@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Try USGS Maps. As I remember the bowl did not have a very steep banking, typical of ¼ milers of the day. Probably 8 degrees? Look at some pictures of cars sitting on false grid or taking the checker and you can get a good idea. also the elevation change coming out of Cappys and exiting the bowl can give you another idea of grade change.
        > >

        > > Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
        > > CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
        > > 6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
        > > T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
        > > craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg
        > >
        > > Please consider the environment before printing this email.
        > >
        > > This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

      • Mike Matune
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

        Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

      • Ed Diehl
        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
           Hi, Craige, your estimate on the banking at Marlboro sounds about right. Although I do remember at the first driver school it sure seemed steep.(grin)
          Hope you are doing OK. We are still rolling along in Central Florida Region. Cheers, Ed.

          Ed Diehl

        • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
            The original footprint of the Marlboro track is still there - the owners did in the last week "scrape" the parking lot boot area - the oval and grandstandfs are still there - they are still hostile to folks that want to come take a nostalgic look - they have at times loaded the parking lot with nursery/shrubs for sale -- but it does not matter - the old Marlboro community wants nothing to do with a return to any form of motorsports or a historic recognition there

            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012

              From Google maps, very overgrown but the footprint is still visible

              https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

              Bill Z

              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 15, 2012
                Put this in the Google Maps search window:

                +38° 48' 24.15", -76° 44' 19.09"

                Should put you right in the middle of the oval.

                I have seen a couple of Websites that had photos from "recent" visitors.
                Some w/ permission to explore, some otherwise.

                Chris

              • les robertson
                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                  Good photos, but very sad. I enjoyed many races on that blacktop in my Kelly-beach FV in the 60's. Great memories. Thanks, Les Robertson

                  To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mmatune@...
                  Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:51:50 -0500
                  Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro [3 Attachments]

                  [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

                  Here are some pictures of Marlboro "today" that Chris Sloan shot in the Spring of 2010 (?).

                • Richard
                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                    I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of the track that introduced me to sports car racing 1955 - 1960. They are on the next to last page of photos titled Dick Miller Photos. The first photo may be the best to get an idea of the banking along the start/finish straight.

                    I also have a good aerial photo of the track in 1966, but I'm not sure how to attach it to this post. I'll also provide some links to web sites I've found while browsing for photos of Marlboro back in the good ole days. The first has good photos and photos 13 to 17 may be best for seeing what the banking may be: http://www.thevintageracer.com/rullman/rullman12hr001.htm

                    Others:

                    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101633.html?sub=AR

                    http://www.barcboys.com/MarlboroHome.htm

                    http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html

                    Always enjoy reading what's going on at this site.

                    Dick Miller

                    P.S. I've not been able to find how to attach a photo to this post, so I will put it in the Photo section titled Marlboro Aerial

                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                      I just added the Marlboro aerial photo to my Dick Miller Photos which put it on the first page since photo albums are listed by date.

                    • Yuccaseed@aol.com
                      Message 11 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                        Sure was 1966, I worked for Group44 and we won that race overall.
                        I loved seeing so many cars and friends in these pictures, THANK YOU for the memories.
                        Cheers,
                         Don Breslauer

                        Message 12 of 18 , Nov 16, 2012
                          On 11/16/2012 10:47 AM, Richard wrote:
                          > I "snuck" into Marlboro Raceway in August 2005 to take some photos of
                          (snip)

                          > http://personal.cfw.com/~agtotten/personalracing.html
                          This is my favorite:

                          "Sometimes you win and receive silver - not $$$ (VIR-'64)"

                          = Awards Ceremony and a Men's Fashion Show.

                          Chris