Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro Results

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
      Mike

      Yes he did, one of the same.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mike
      Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:57 PM
      Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro Results

      Didn't Brook run an AMACO station in Rosslyn back then? I work a couple of blocks from where that was. I'm actually on the site of Fowler Motors.

      Mike Booth

      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

      > Don
      >
      > You don't miss much.
      >
      > Jim and I traded off as we both ran the Mustang & Cobra. They normally ran both cars in the same race wherever we went. (big bore)
      >
      > Actually, the Cobra picture I sent was me and the guy holding the flag was the owner, Brook Perkins.
      >
      > Rick
      > www.rickmandelson.com

    • Don Haines
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
        Rick, Don,

        Brook also drove my Sting Ray in the April National.  I forget how he finished.  I didn't have my National license yet and I had had a carb problem in the March (I think) Regional. Brook went home on Sat. evening and pulled the carb off of the Cobra for me to use on Sunday. In return, I let him drive the Vette in the National.  I don't remember why he didn't want to run the Cobra.

        Aloha,

        Don Haines

        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
        From: rollingthunder78@...
        Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400
        Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro Results [1 Attachment]

        [Attachment(s) from Rick Mandelson included below]

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

          Don

          I don't remember Brook ever racing the Cobra.

          Sutter had deals with Goodyear, Champion Spark Plugs, Manley Speed Equipment ( valves at the time ) and Ford.  I think that's what kept Brook out of the Cobra but I'm not 100% sure.

          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
          From: rollingthunder78@...
          Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
            Rick,

                Perhaps that is why he didn't actually race the car. But he must have had a National license and wanted to maintain it so that's why he wanted to borrow my car.   I do remember Brook running the Cobra in several Solo I events in 1968.  I ran those as well before going to driver's school.  The Cobra was towed in and I was still driving the Sting Ray daily for work on regular street tires.  I had put in a roll bar in prep for driver's school that fall and drove down to Marlboro to what I thought was going to be a race in order to get tech inspectors to check on the installation and get approval.  When I got there, I was told the roll bar was fine and that if I went home and installed the seat belts, I could run on Sunday.  Brook and (I believe) Erick (?) ran the Cobra and took 1st and 2nd in BP while ended up in 3rd.   I ran another couple Solo 1 events with similar results. Again with mufflers and street tires.

            Don

            To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
            From: rollingthunder78@...
            Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 20:52:43 -0400

            To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
            From: rollingthunder78@...
            Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

              Don

              Thanks for giving me that bit of history..........That's what this Yahoo group is all about.

              Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:41 PM

              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com