Re: Marlboro Results

  • Howard Pardee
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
      Forrest,

      Thank you very much for posting the results of the 1963 and the entry list for the 1964 President's Cup races. I have a huge interest in 1965 Shelby GT350s and I note that there are (9) drivers from these two years eventually owned or raced a GT350 R-Model. Since there were only 36 of the cars produced, I think it is very interesting that (9) people were racers that ran at Marlboro.

      The (9) are:
      Ned Owen
      Dan Gerber
      Bob Johnson
      Ben Warren
      Ed Fuchs
      Tom Yeager
      Martin Krinner
      Bob Grossman
      Tom Flaherty

      I own Ben Warren's Shelby that ran at Marlboro in the 6 hour race 7/25/65. If anyone has any photos of a white/blue stripes Mustang I would really appreciate getting scans. The car ran meatball number 7. I would also like to have scans of any other Shelbys that raced at Marlboro.

      Howard Pardee

      On Oct 2, 2012, at 5:06 PM, f minor wrote:

          David

            I included the first page as well, it has the results of
      the previous year's Cup.  Enjoy!  No, I was not there for
      this event, I inherited the program from a fellow flagger, George
      Deihl, who was there.

             Forrest Minor

      From: David&Carol <scshmoo@...>
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Alfa Assistance [2 Attachments]
      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "Richard Johnson" <Johnson@...>
      Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 9:41 PM

      Aloha Richard or Craige,

      Since the Alfa has been found, or its remains have, can anyone provide the year and type.

      I saw in a later post that it ran in FP in 1967.

      Until I went overseas in 1965 I was frequently at Marlboro and took photos. I have combed through my images and find I have two of a light colored Alfa at the 1964 President's Cup races. Among the images is a #38 FP Lotus 7. I find a light color Alfa #68 in EP(?).  From the rear it looks like it is a short door (i.e. 1956 to 1959). It does appear to have a 1964-65 blue Maryland plate

      My recollection is that in 1963 the Giulietta Veloce was DP and a Normale was FP.

      No idea what was what in 1964 or 1967. I cannot find Frank Miller and an Alfa in any of the entry sheets for 1963 or 1965. I am missing the 1964 sheets.

      If anyone can identify #68 in EP or FP at the 1964 April President's Cup races I would appreciate it.

      Working from 35 mm negs, and without a dark room, the attached images are the best I can do. Do not know if Yahoo will strip off the attachments or not.

      On 25 Sep 2012, at 05:42, Pelouze, Craige wrote:

      Richard is looking for assistance on information on his Alfa race car.  Can any one help him?  I don’t remember Frank Miller.

      Richard,  Bob Bowers has raced an Alfa since the late 50’s. He lived in Richmond then and worked for Reynolds Aluminum and previously worked for Cunningham on the C4’s in Fl. The last contact info I had on him was in Atlanta, and last time I saw him was about 8 years ago at the Pittsburg Vintage meet.  706-219-4521  email gaber01@...

      Richard Johnson Johnson@...
      Hello Craige

      I found your name and posts on the Marlboro Motor Raceway yahoo groups chat site, having tried to figure out how to get a post onto the site (without success) I am hoping you might be able to help out a fellow commercial real estate broker

      I recently acquired a formerly well-known Giulietta Spider (actual the remains of said car…) which belonged to Frank D Miller from 1963-70, and ran on the west coast from 1970 until 1991
      When at Marlboro I believe the car was baby blue and ran the #38, when on the west coast it was brown with the #69, and was run by a well know Alfisti, Hilary “HB” Luginbuhl

      Might it be possible to have the MMR yahoo group moderator contact me below ? I would like to see if anyone associated with MMR can connected me with Frank Miller, or if anyone has any photographs of the car
      The hope and plan is to have the car ready to try for a Monterey Reunion slot in 2013….

      Thanks for any help you can offer !

      Richard A. Johnson
      Principal
      Sansome Street Advisors, Inc.
      114 Sansome Street, 2nd Floor
      San Francisco, CA 94104
      415.834.1207 direct
      415.834.1200 main
      415-699-5053 cell

      Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
      CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
      6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
      T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
      craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

      This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
        Aloha Sam,

        Thank you for the background.

        I find no record of Frank racing an Alfa in 1963.

        Nothing at Cumberland either in 1963 to 1965.

        On 2 Oct 2012, at 12:05, Sam_Smith01@... wrote:

        Hi folks I don't think Frank Miller - running a 58 short chassis Alfa Giulietta had a National License in 1963 - the car was light blue single cab normale -- ran first F Prod -- later G Pod -- two Raydot mirrors on either side of a standard rectangular windscreen in front of the driver only. Frank generally tried to use numbers that ended in eight - the car lived in my folks garage in Upper Marlboro from 1964 to about 1967 then a shared garage near Giffords in Silver Spring until sold in 1969 or 70 - car went to California  --  all the best, sam smith

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

              Don

              Jim Sutter also ran the #22 BRG 289 Cobra owned by Brook Perkins.

[...]

              Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
              Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                Don

                You don't miss much.

                Jim and I traded off as we both ran the Mustang & Cobra. They normally ran both cars in the same race wherever we went. (big bore)

                Actually, the Cobra picture I sent was me and the guy holding the flag was the owner, Brook Perkins.

                Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Didn't Brook run an AMACO station in Rosslyn back then? I work a couple of blocks from where that was. I'm actually on the site of Fowler Motors.

                  Mike Booth

                  Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                    Mike

                    Yes he did, one of the same.

                    Didn't Brook run an AMACO station in Rosslyn back then? I work a couple of blocks from where that was. I'm actually on the site of Fowler Motors.

                    Mike Booth

                    --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

                    > Don
                    >
                    > You don't miss much.
                    >
                    > Jim and I traded off as we both ran the Mustang & Cobra. They normally ran both cars in the same race wherever we went. (big bore)
                    >
                    > Actually, the Cobra picture I sent was me and the guy holding the flag was the owner, Brook Perkins.
                    >
                    > Rick
                    > www.rickmandelson.com

                  • Don Haines
                    Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                      Rick, Don,

                      Brook also drove my Sting Ray in the April National.  I forget how he finished.  I didn't have my National license yet and I had had a carb problem in the March (I think) Regional. Brook went home on Sat. evening and pulled the carb off of the Cobra for me to use on Sunday. In return, I let him drive the Vette in the National.  I don't remember why he didn't want to run the Cobra.

                      Aloha,

                      Don Haines

                      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rollingthunder78@...
                      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400
                      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Marlboro Results [1 Attachment]

                      [Attachment(s) from Rick Mandelson included below]

                      Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                        Don

                        I don't remember Brook ever racing the Cobra.

                        Sutter had deals with Goodyear, Champion Spark Plugs, Manley Speed Equipment ( valves at the time ) and Ford.  I think that's what kept Brook out of the Cobra but I'm not 100% sure.

                        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rollingthunder78@...
                        Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400

                        Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                          Rick,

                              Perhaps that is why he didn't actually race the car. But he must have had a National license and wanted to maintain it so that's why he wanted to borrow my car.   I do remember Brook running the Cobra in several Solo I events in 1968.  I ran those as well before going to driver's school.  The Cobra was towed in and I was still driving the Sting Ray daily for work on regular street tires.  I had put in a roll bar in prep for driver's school that fall and drove down to Marlboro to what I thought was going to be a race in order to get tech inspectors to check on the installation and get approval.  When I got there, I was told the roll bar was fine and that if I went home and installed the seat belts, I could run on Sunday.  Brook and (I believe) Erick (?) ran the Cobra and took 1st and 2nd in BP while ended up in 3rd.   I ran another couple Solo 1 events with similar results. Again with mufflers and street tires.

                          Don

                          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                          From: rollingthunder78@...
                          Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 20:52:43 -0400

                          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
                          From: rollingthunder78@...
                          Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:46:42 -0400

                          Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012

                            Don

                            Thanks for giving me that bit of history..........That's what this Yahoo group is all about.

                            Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:41 PM

                            To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com