Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Fwd: Ever heard of Bill Milliken?

  • GLWannarka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
      I met Bill several years ago when he was the Grand Marshall for the Runoffs the last year they were held at Mid Ohio.  I subsequently met him several times later when he attended various NEDIV winter meetings.  What a gentleman and class act!  Yes, he was one of the early competitors at the Glen and had a corner named after him on the original track where he flipped his Bugatti. He had many entertaining stories about motoring his Bugatti (s?) around New York state mainly scaring the local arms of the law.
      Jerry Wannarka

      In a message dated 8/16/2012 11:16:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, slloydmarlboro@... writes:

      Stefan,
      If I recall correctly, didn't Milliken win some of the first Watkikns Glen street races -- or at very least was a major competitor? 'Seems to me, his name is virtually synonymous with the Glen.
      Steve Lloyd, Historian
      Washington DC Region, SCCA

      From: Erskine Kelly <erkelly2@...>
      Date: August 16, 2012 6:36:31 AM CDT
      To: Jim Thurman <jim.thurman@...>, Sal Chiappetta <sal.chiappetta@...>, Jim Michels <michelsjim@...>, Dick Cole <dcole@...>, Pier Paolo Garagnani <pierpaolo.garagnani@...>
      Cc: nanni dietrich <nanni.dietrich@...>
      Subject: Ever heard of Bill Milliken?

      Who remembers people who live to be older than 100?

      This guy graduated from MIT in the same class as my father.

      At the Cornell lab he had a part in the research on the effectiveness of something called "safety belts" in ~1955.

      When Watkins Glen established their first "Legends" roster, the first class included an Italian named Andretti, a NASCAR dude named Jeff Gordon, and Bill Milliken.

      Ever heard of Bill Milliken?

      See:

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/william-f-milliken-jr-renowned-aeronautical-engineer-and-pilot-dies-at-101/2012/08/01/gJQA2XsGQX_story.html

      And, see:  (IF you have an hour to read it!)

      http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ludvigsen/aq-milliken-biography.htm

      Karl and I were at Exeter and MIT at the same time.

      - - - -

      NOTICE TO ALL:

      I am going to do a "Chiappetta" -

      Don't expect much from me for the next month or two.

      -STEFAN
      http://www.at-speed.com
      http://photos.at-speed.com
      http://www.formulasaab.com