Saab at Marlboro

  • Pelouze, Craige
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2012

      I don’t remember being able to shut off the freewheeling. I liked it because you could shift without the clutch and with the throttle wide open. Left foot breaking.  It also allowed you to coast faster thru the turns such as between the heel and toe of the boot- albeit some times faster than you wanted. I remember the old two stroke 3 cylinder (all 80+_ hp)  screaming thru the creek bend in 2nd wide open and the front wheels just churning and actually pulling you around the turn.  ah yes the “Good Ole Daz”)

      Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
      CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
      6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
      T +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
      craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

      This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

    • Polimeni Clan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2012
        My hat is off to anyone who could competitively drive a SAAB 93/96 in
        competition. I had the misfortune (for me) to be invited to co drive
        one in a relay race at Pocono many years ago. This particular SAAB 93
        was much modified and sported an ex ice racing (lake Naomi PA) 850cc
        2cycle engine. The throttle on that beast was more like an on/off
        switch. I can still recall the corner workers diving for the barricades
        when they saw me approaching their corner. I was in the grass almost
        as much as I was on the track. When I applied the power it came on
        with a bang, broke the front wheels loose and I couldn't steer. When I
        lifted to get traction the treacherous little beast tried to trip over
        its outside front tire and put me on my head. It was the most
        frightening ride I've ever had in a race car. As I recall the car was
        painted in the Italian flag across the car much as the team Javelins did
        with the red, white 7 blue in the T/A. The scream of that little 850 2
        cycle was absolutely shattering. They were tough as well as fast (in
        the right hands) though. I remember reading a race report of a 12 hour
        at Marlboro where one of the SAAB's managed several barrel rolls in the
        early hours of the race and went on to finish either 2nd or 3rd.
        Great stuff, great memories. Ron P.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2012
          Ron

          You will have to ask Eddie Diehl about him adjusting the carburetor thru the fan between the Bowl and the Chicane.

[...]

          Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!