Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] 12 hour

  • Stefan Vapaa
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 10, 2012
      You CAN lock out the freewheeling, but that is the fastest way to gift yourself a seized engine.

      Those air filters you are remembering are rare and highly sought after today!

      On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Don Haines <gtracer66@...> wrote:

      Hey Craig,  couldn't you turn off the free wheeling?  I drove a Sonnett prototype once and it had a lever on the floor to allow engine braking. I even commented that I had expected free-wheeling after the drive.  I remember they hod the a low restriction air filter ont he carb and it sounded like a little Ferrari. I guess due to the 2 stroke effect.

      Don

      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      From: craige.pelouze@...
      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:07:35 -0400
      Subject: [Marlboro_Raceway] 12 hour

      Hey Eddie, I was driving the “Green Bean” Saab in that race which I’m sure you remember well. I believe you and or Curtis were lapping me about every 20 minutes. Well going in to the heel of the boot in freewheeling I caught up with the lumbering  Falcon from behind and nailed it in the rear at the toe. I saw Curtis glare at me in that big full windshield mirror and said to my self- “self now why did you do that”? He is not going to be happy getting rear ended by a sewing machine. Needless to say after that every time I say the Falcon coming up in the rear view mirror I gave it plenty of room to pass. Ah ha  “the Good Ole Days’?  Cheeers.  Craige Pelouze

      Craige Pelouze | Senior Vice President
      CBRE | Richmond | Investment Properties | Private Capital Group
      6641 West Broad Street | Suite 101 | Richmond, VA 23230
      +1 804 267 7244 | F +1 804 320 4839 | C +1 804 399 7327
      craige.pelouze@... l www.cbre.com/craige.pelouze | www.cbre.com/pcg

      This message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email or believe that you have received this correspondence in error, please contact the sender through the information provided above and permanently delete this message.

      --
      -STEFAN
      http://www.at-speed.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 10, 2012
        Craige,
        Would you be so kind as to explain "freewheeling" to me? I've heard the term, but haven't a clue what it is and why it might be something someone would want. Thanks in advance.
        Steve Lloyd

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 10, 2012
          Steve, "freewheeling" on a 2 cycle SAAB referred to the one way drive
          that allowed the engine to pull the car but the car couldn't push the
          engine. Much like the drive in a ratchet wrench but without the
          clicking. When you lifted your throttle foot the engine went to idle
          regardless of whether you'd pushed in the clutch pedal. A little feaky
          till you got used to it. The reason for the freewheel is that the
          2cycle had virtually no lubrication with the throttle closed. Backing
          off at speed with the freewheeling locked out (which could be done on
          the sedans) you would have the engine spinning at high rev's with little
          fuel/oil mix passing through the crank case. Engine braking on a 2
          cycle is minimal as there is no compression stroke. Ron P.
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 10, 2012
            Ron

            A great explanation..........

            Steve, "freewheeling" on a 2 cycle SAAB referred to the one way drive
            that allowed the engine to pull the car but the car couldn't push the
            engine. Much like the drive in a ratchet wrench but without the
            clicking. When you lifted your throttle foot the engine went to idle
            regardless of whether you'd pushed in the clutch pedal. A little feaky
            till you got used to it. The reason for the freewheel is that the
            2cycle had virtually no lubrication with the throttle closed. Backing
            off at speed with the freewheeling locked out (which could be done on
            the sedans) you would have the engine spinning at high rev's with little
            fuel/oil mix passing through the crank case. Engine braking on a 2
            cycle is minimal as there is no compression stroke. Ron P.

            Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
          • dgreimel@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012

              I put a SAAB 750GT engine in a Siata circa 1960.  It won ten races in ten starts forBob Kimberk.  No free wheel in the Fiat gearbox and no seized engine.  The two stroke does have compression but it begins about half way up the cylinder so it doesn't help much with deceleration.  SAAB said that they used freewheeling because the engine's occasional firing on decel causes lurching.  The lack of lubrication is likely an issue too but it wasn't a problem for the Siata.

              The other Don.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012
                  Of course it was possible to drive around the issue. Other two-strike cars without the freewheeling feature managed to do it. Also, the particular tune of the engine makes a difference. Now that I think of it, track layout could also play a major part.

                  I certainly would never race or drive one without it!

                  -STEFAN
                  Brevity of message due to typing on a phone with my thumbs

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012
                    I asked Otto....since he was one of the original importers of SAAB and
                    also ran a F-Junior with a DKW 3x2-stroke in it. He says, on the
                    track....free wheeling was not important (you are only off throttle for
                    a few seconds). None of the competition SAABs or the Scorpion he brought
                    in had freewheeling.

                    He also ran heavy oil ratios on track since....you could keep the revs
                    up and burn it off. The issue of heat and the pre-charge was a whole
                    different issue!

                    Here in Pennsylvania, coming down long hills (off throttle) would foul a
                    plug before it caused oil starvation........which is why they had
                    freewheeling in the road cars. The Alps would be a different story.

                    On the other hand....I rode a hot Ducati this summer with a slipper
                    clutch (basically freewheeling)....and you can take your exit gear (even
                    if it was down 2 gears) early and then just worry about brakes and lean
                    until you hit the gas and it was "automagically" there.

                    Roger Linton
                    Valley Forge, PA

                    On 8/11/2012 5:29 PM, Stefan Vapaa wrote:
                    > Other two-strike cars without the freewheeling feature managed to do it.

                    entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.If you received
                    this in error,please contact the sender and delete the material from any
                    computer.
                  • Polimeni Clan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012
                      I always used the freewheel on the SAAB's I drove on the street. The
                      competition SAAB I drove at Pocono that time, I believe had the
                      freewheel locked out. The owner of the thing fed it some bizarre
                      concoction of a 2cycle mix too as I recall. A good whiff of the
                      exhaust could leave you loopy. Ron P.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 11, 2012
                        Gentlemen,
                        Thank you so much. I roadraced a Suzuki two-stroke motorcycle at Summit Point during the 1973 and 1975 season. (AAMRR and WERA) It had automatic oil injection and I'd never really heard of free wheeling except in -- I'm not kidding -- cartoons!  My Suzuki had almost no engine braking. I was not aware of the lubrication problem on deceleration. Ignore is bliss? Is this phenomenon related to the legendary "Bultaco reflex?"

                        Thanks again, guys. I love this web site!
                        Steve Lloyd

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 12, 2012

                          Steve,

                           Free wheeling was featured in some cars of the early '30's but I understand it was out lawed, at least by PA where we lived.  My dad had a '29 Dodge "Victory 6" that had it.  Some of the SAAB owners welded the thing up when it went bad.  I had a small SAAB dealership in the early 60's later worked at one while in college.  I locked the free wheeling out on the Formula S that I built and ran in '65 and had no trouble from it.

                          Don Greimel

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 12, 2012
                          Bob Dylan was Freewheelin' around this time but I don't recall him driving a Saab...

                          Jon Mello
                          Lompoc, CA

                          Message 13 of 17 , Aug 14, 2012
                            Don, Do you remember what model Siata it was?  thanks  Hugh

                            Message 14 of 17 , Aug 15, 2012
                              Hi Don,
                              Do you have any photos of this? I always enjoy seeing more SAAB specials.