Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] The Hairpin

  • rolfp4@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 8, 2012
      I don't recall the name.  I HAVE run into two other "old timers" who ran there ... Ernie Shores and Alan Peckenpaugh.

      I used to run with Brinkley's Kart Shop and John Waters, but haven't found him yet.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 8, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Yuccaseed@... wrote:

      Did you watch Hollis Webster run a kart there?

      In a message dated 8/7/2012 11:05:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rolfp4@... writes:

      This from a go kart driver ...

      In 1965 we ran an 100 mile Enduro on the sports car track.  I know the hairpin well.  At about 75 miles of the 100 mile race, I dropped my left rear off the track in the hair pin.

      For us, it was pretty much full throttle to the boot.  Little did I realize I had knocked the pin out of the clevis and had no brakes!  Fortunately for me, I was a single engine and doing only 60 +\- AND the track was wide (by go kart standards).  I stayed on the track!  Also, fortunately for me, it started to rain and the race was stopped when I came around the oval to our start/finish line.

      At that point - 80 miles - I was first.  That was one of my last races at Marlboro.  I took a 45 year hiatus and have only recently taken up vintage karting, and am loving it.

      Check out www.YouTube.com/RolfP4 for helmet cam video of this old guy reliving his youth.

      Rolf

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 7, 2012, at 9:54 PM, "Rick Mandelson" <rollingthunder78@...> wrote:

      Well Don, considering Dr. Dick Thompson did the same 45 degree thing in many different Corvettes, I would assume it would be the fast line.  ( I know I'll hear a bunch of crap from Jim H., Pete V. and others on this one).....Tee Hee

      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 29, 2012
        Hi, My name is Les Robertson and i've been enjoying the many emails generated since I attended the 2010 reunion at Summit Point. This one is particularly warming about the "bean oil" fragrance form Castrol "R" used in the 60's. Also the reference to an Opel Cadet being passed at Marlboro. My Dad and I ran an imported car shop in the 60's thru the 80's on Staten Island and serviced many of those cracker boxes. I also campaigned a "Kelly V" during the 60's and raced Marlboro many times.
        Thanks for all the great stories, and keep them coming! With best regards, Les Robertson

        To: marlboro_raceway@yahoogroups.com
        From: gtracer66@...
        Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 01:47:56 -0400

        Aloha David

           I used to use Castrol "bean oil" in my Abarth-Zagato 750, not for the smell or to cover up a smell, but rather because it was supposed to be better than the traditional oil of the early '60s. I had to special order it from the auto parts store in Frederick.

          I remember running my first enduro (a 4hr race at Summit Point).  There was an Abarth-Zagato 750 in the race.  About every 8 or 10 laps, I'd find myself coming up to lap him.  I could always tell that he was somewhere around the next turn as I could recognize the smell of the Castrol.  He was having a real battle with a Sprite and I'll never forget one of the most fun things ever was when they were going through "wagon turn" and I came up behind them.  One went wide and the other stayed tight and I was able to thread the needle and go right between them as if they weren't even there.

        At Charlotte in an IMSA GT race, Bruce Jennings and I did a similar thing going around the oval. Some guy was running an Opel Cadet   ( they ran a lot of different size cars in those races.. GTO & GTU).  Bruce and I were running door handle to door handle going around the banking.  We came up behind the Cadet, looked over at each other and opened up and passed him like he wasn't there.  Bruce stayed low and I went high. I remember thinking, "Wow! Just like a Petty and Pearson move"  LOL

          BTW, considering what gas is selling for on Oahu these days, you'd hope they were selling 200 octane fuel.

        Don
        Kailua

        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
        From: scshmoo@...
        Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:41:28 -1000

        Aloha  fuel watchers.

        We used to stand beside the track, as Sam did, and sniff the exhaust. It seems a fair number of cars were running methanol/nitro/benzol mixes and a lot of Castrol. The exhaust smelled like moth balls.

        I also heard about the trick of getting a Sunoco dealer to sell the straight 260 mixture.  Could that have been the "unfair advantage" ?

        Good high lead content gasoline gives a nice white or light gray exhaust pipe. I always knew my engine was running right when the pipe turned light gray.  The crap that passes for gasoline today produces a fluffy black soot that normally would mean an engine was running way too rich, but it is just the poor quality of gasoline with all the additives to "clean up" the exhaust.

        On 27 Aug 2012, at 15:32, Don Haines wrote:

        I remember back in my early days of racing..(drag racing at the time) that the "trick" set up was (supposedly) to go to the Crown station and get a partial tank of high test and then go to the Amoco station to get more "unleaded" high test gas.  The ratio was supposed to be something like 75% Crown and 25% Amoco. This was reported to give a higher octane than either by themselves. No scientific proof just the word of the old guys who had been racing for years.

          By the time I got to Marlboro in '68, I had a Sunoco station as a sponsor and I ran Sunoco 260.  At that time, Sunoco had a dial that mixed a percentage of "regular" and 260 high test gas. They didn't dispense the pure stuff regularly to the public.  You needed to get the station guy to override the pump mixture dial to get the pure concentrated 260 gas. You could tell if someone was running Sunoco 260 because it had so much lead that the inside of the exhaust pipe would turn white. At least that's the story I was told.

        Don Haines

        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
        From: rollingthunder78@...
        Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:09:43 -0400

        Sam

        I wasn't that smart.  I ran Gulf "Golden" gotten from the Gulf station about five miles North of Marlboro on Route 301.......