Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] List of "All" Marlboro Events

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 30, 2012

    I was at the DCPL today and took the opportunity to look for the results of the races held at Marlboro on Friday evening September 13, 1963. They were published in the Monday September 16, 1963 Washington Daily News in Ev Gardner's column. This event had previously been discussed here. Don  & Dave had mentioned they had seen pre-event publicity but not results, so here they are! There are two pages and you need to scroll down. The first page is the full page from the newspaper, while the second is a "zoomed-in" view that is easier to read. The pre-event publicity is also included.

    The search also turned up a few other events and clarifications. Once these are all complied into the new list, we will promulgate an updated copy.

    Thanks and take care,

    Mike Matune

  • Mike Matune
    Message 2 of 30 , May 3, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 830 KB

    Good morning all,

    There had been some discussion in this group regarding Friday night races held in September of 1963 & 1964. recently the results of the 1963 race were posted here.

    Terry O'Neil was kind enough to provide the attached article from the Baltimore Sun that says the 1964 event was canceled. The article gives some interesting insights into goings-on at the track in this period of time. It makes interesting reading.

    Steve Lloyd and others said they were going to look for information on these two events and I wanted to provide what we had found in order to aid that search. Thanks Steve.

    Take care,

    Message 3 of 30 , May 3, 2012
      Aloha Mike,

      Thank you for digging up these reports.

      WOuld it be possible to get a larger scan of the 1964 article?

      The attachment is too small to read.

      On 3 May 2012, at 00:57, Mike Matune wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

      Good morning all,

      There had been some discussion in this group regarding Friday night races held in September of 1963 & 1964. recently the results of the 1963 race were posted here.

      Terry O'Neil was kind enough to provide the attached article from the Baltimore Sun that says the 1964 event was canceled. The article gives some interesting insights into goings-on at the track in this period of time. It makes interesting reading.

      Steve Lloyd and others said they were going to look for information on these two events and I wanted to provide what we had found in order to aid that search. Thanks Steve.

      Take care,

      Mike Matune

      Attachment(s) from Mike Matune

      1 of 1 Photo(s)

    • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
      Message 4 of 30 , May 3, 2012

        Hi Folks,

        I would like to track down Dan Torpy -- anyone out there have contact info for Dan

        Thanks much - i plan to hang out at the Jefferson 500 on Friday the 18th

        Regards,

        Sam Smith

        Marlboro resident - track groupie 60 t0 69 (go by there twice a day!)

      • Stefan Vapaa
        Message 5 of 30 , May 3, 2012
          Hi Sam,
          I don't think Dan is with us anymore.  Though I'd love to be wrong about that.

          --
          -STEFAN
          http://www.at-speed.com
          Message 6 of 30 , May 4, 2012
            Dan is living in Boulder, Colorado with his wife Estelle. He has two grown children.
            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Vapaa <turbo@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sam,
            > I don't think Dan is with us anymore. Though I'd love to be wrong about
            > that.
            >
            > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM, <Sam_Smith01@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Folks,
            > >

            > > I would like to track down Dan Torpy -- anyone out there have contact info
            > > for Dan
            > >

            > > Thanks much - i plan to hang out at the Jefferson 500 on Friday the 18th
            > >

            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Sam Smith
            > >
            > > Marlboro resident - track groupie 60 t0 69 (go by there twice a day!)
            > >

            > --
            > -STEFAN
            > http://www.at-speed.com
            > http://photos.at-speed.com
            > http://www.formulasaab.com
            > VSCCA comp #374
            > VRG comp #97

          • Mike Matune
            Message 7 of 30 , May 4, 2012

            Good morning all,

            As promised , here is the latest version of the Marlboro Events List. We have updated events which are shown in red.

            There are still numerous holes to fill and I am hoping folks will search through their collections to try to plug them. As an example, the list is partially based on lists of coming events published in period publications. With printing lead times, some of these may have occurred or not. Sometimes we are able to find results which confirm the event, but on at least one occasion an event was only confirmed by input from the Group. The list now contains a separate tab with a list of "Phantom Events" that were listed in coming events but later confirmed to not have occurred.

            Larry provided some information on go-kart events sanctioned by the Competition Cart Club. Does anyone know anything more about this organization?

            With Larry, Terry, Don, David & Steve's help, we were able to confirm the Friday Night Sprints were run in 1963, but canceled in 1964.

            After a library trip earlier this week, two things have become apparent. First, to confirm which events occurred we are going to have to search period publications piece by piece. While the Sun & Post, as well as some period publications can (and have been) searched electronically, other newspapers and magazines need to be done by hand in microfilm or hard copy formats. This will be a slow process.

            Secondly, I have to agree with Michael Ling who mentioned Ev Gardner's columns. Gardner covered not only the local racing scene, but also always included information on the national scene. Looking through his work, you realize just what a great time capsule it is. It would be great if these could be compiled into one place, but a herculean task at best.

            Thanks again to all who have contributed. We will keep working on this and promulgate additional versions as we make progress.

            Take care,

            Mike Matune

          • Stefan Vapaa
            Message 8 of 30 , May 4, 2012
              That's cool!  Perhaps I could get the contact info as well, as I am "involved" with one of his old cars and would love to ask some questions about it.

              --
              -STEFAN
              http://www.at-speed.com
              Message 9 of 30 , May 4, 2012
                Good morning Mike Matune.  I am not familiar with DC Library's workings whatsoever, but I hate to drop the idea of gathering up Ev's columns without a deeper understanding of the task.  I would lik to know about the ease of access, library hours, copying facilities, and potential cost of downloading the materials.  What about a estimate of days necessary to compile the material? Would a month do it?  Please do not circulate this letter among the Group because I definitely do not want to get the hope up prematurely, hust keeping it between you and I for now.
                                                                                                                                                                      Michael Ling