List of "All" Marlboro Events

  • Mike Matune
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 10 5:33 PM

    Some time ago, the idea of compiling a list of all events held at Marlboro was made. Attached is a first draft of such a list. As you can see, it is still very much a work in progress with numerous holes to be filled. We ask that you look through it and see what information you may hold that will help us complete the list. We will take it in whatever form is convenient.

    Numerous members contributed to this draft including Steve Knoll and Steve Lloyd. Special mention must be made of the work that Terry O'Neil and Larry Jendras did in not only supplying information, but also in continuingly reviewing the many versions and in answering innumerable questions. Thanks to all.

    To initiate the list we started with a list of events Terry O'Neil had developed for his upcoming book on Sports Car Racing in the Mid-Atlantic area. To this we added Steve Knoll's inventory of Bill Dobbins photos and an event schedule from a 1964 Race Program. From there it was a matter of combining information from  a number of period publications and introducing Larry Jendras' excellent work on the non-Sports Car events.

    Thanks to all who have and will contribute.

    Take care,

    Message 2 of 30 , Apr 10 7:50 PM
      This is a great effort, and we're all in your debt. Thank you.

      If anyone has access to the files from the Stopwatcher, we'd get more info on the races, and especially autocrosses and Solo 1 events. I participated in several, not only ones put on by SCCA.

      Cheers, Bob

      On 4/10/2012 7:33 PM, Mike Matune wrote:

[...]

      Mike Matune

    • Terry Oneil
      Message 3 of 30 , Apr 11 1:31 AM
        Bob,
        Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Stopwatcher? Was it a Regional publication like Straightpipe? If so which region published it.
        Regards
        Terry

        Message 4 of 30 , Apr 11 1:54 AM
          Terry, The Stopwatcher was a small independent publication that covered sports car activity in the DC/Balt. Area. In addition to racing, they also covered autocrossing and rallying. Not just SCCA but other car clubs in the area. I used to do some shooting for them. It was by subscription. Most all content was submitted by fellow enthusiasts. I beieve I remember they were out of Rockville somewhere.

          Message 5 of 30 , Apr 11 1:55 AM
            Hi Terry,

            Self identified as "weekly sentinel for the sports car set."

            Begun in August 1965.

            431 Massachusetts Ave., NW
            Wash. D.C.

            "Not affiliated with any sports car organization, manufacturer or dealer of automobiles or automotive products."

            Editor Bob Shenton

            Publisher John F. Williams

            Art Director Pierre Mion

            Advertising Manager Dick Gilmartin

            Message 6 of 30 , Apr 11 7:11 AM
              Others have mentioned details of Stopwatcher, but more than anything it was the heart and soul of the DC/Baltimore area's remarkably active gymkhana, autocross and rally activities. Actually, I'd go so far as saying that they were the reason for the robustness of the sport, and the glue that kept 20 or more clubs together. I bought my first Daimler and the ex-Tweedale 6 hour winning Lola 1100 Sports from Stopwatcher classifieds.

              It was the labor of love of editor Bob and "den mother" Ruth Shenton. Remarkably, they managed it all without even a fax machine from their Bethesda home, supported by the long suffering printer, Johnny Williams. I can't believe that it came out weekly with all appropriate sporting car news for $10-12 annually. Bob often referred to his and the crop of scribe's generous remuneration as being on par with any church ushers.

              They featured pundits like Dewitt Boyd and other local stalwarts whose regularity made them familiar. It was the only way you could keep up with with the local rumors, autocross association politics, new possible race courses (I recall half a dozen) and the usually neglected Pennsylvania Hillclimb action.

              A couple bits of trivia. Ruth attended the 1953(?) USGP at the Glen, and was the raffle winner ... a just introduced Corvette! Also, a U of Maryland student found that he could buy tires wholesale, and flog them to fellow students out of his dorm. The only place he advertised was in the Stopwatcher, and he found a ready crop of buyers. Before long, he'd driven out his dorm mates with the stacks of tires, and had taken over an adjacent apartment before the Terrapin officials drove him out. Tom Pumpelly had to get a store front, and National Tire Wholesaler became official.

              They should be remembered fondly.

              Cheers, Bob

              Message 7 of 30 , Apr 11 10:01 AM
                What I really crave are Ev Gardner's columns.  Those I sorely miss.  Are there collections of his columns? If so, these should be republished in bound volumes.  Shouldn't his columns be in some sort of an archive? am I the first one to broach this concern?
                                                                                                                                                                                &n bsp;    Michael Ling

                Message 8 of 30 , Apr 11 11:44 AM
                  Hi Michael,

                  I used to read Ev Gardner regularly in the Washington Daily News. Between 1961 and 1965 I clipped out the columns which interested me, but do not have all of them by any means.

                  The paper is long gone, but should be available on microfilm somewhere (Library of Congress?)

                  I have asked friends and people who worked for Scripps if they knew what became of Ev's archives, but no one seems to know.

                  If his columns are archived somewhere I would like to know.

                  Message 9 of 30 , Apr 11 12:07 PM

                    Ev Gardner's columns from The Washington Daily News are available on microfilm at the Martin Luther King Branch of the DC Public Library on G Street. If you take a look through the event listing circulated earlier this morning, you can see where we used some of his work as references to compile the list.

                    From my experience in researching events at Marlboro, the WDN had very good race coverage of events at Marlboro. In at least one instance, it turned out to be the only record at all of a particular event. Eventually to confirm our event list is accurate, we will have to go through the entire collection. Trust me this is long, boring work in front of a microfiche machine.

                    Compiling his collective works would be an intriguing project if the copyright issues could be worked out. As I understand it, the WDN became part of The Star and eventually their combined archives came to the Post. The DCPL has some rights through an agreement with The Post.

                    Take care,

                    Mike Matune

                  • Mike Matune
                    Message 10 of 30 , Apr 11 12:11 PM

                      Bob,

                      Thanks for the kind words. As mentioned a credit has to go to Steve Knoll, Steve Lloyd, Terry O'Neil and Larry Jendras.

                      If anyone has any information on the events included in the list or can add to the list, we would like to hear from you. Let us know what you have and we can make arrangements to include it in the list.

                      Thanks again,

                      Message 11 of 30 , Apr 11 1:14 PM
                        Hi Mike,

                        Thank you for compiling this list.

                        There was a night race at Marlboro for sports cars, do not know who sanctioned it.

                        The date was Friday 13 September 1963 and there were eight races. Four of four laps and four of 15 laps. These races may have been in connection with the driver's school that was held about this same time.

                        Some of the drivers mentioned are: Tullius, Mion, Gilmartin, Canfield, Harris, Torpy, Taylor and Hironaka.  Sixty five cars were entered.

                        Ev Gardner mentioned it as an upcoming event in the Friday Daily News. Do not know if there was a subsequent report. It is not mentioned in the Monday Gardner column.

                        Do you know anything about this event?

                        On 10 Apr 2012, at 14:33, Mike Matune wrote:

                        [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

[...]

                        1 of 1 File(s)

                      • Don Haines
                        Message 12 of 30 , Apr 11 1:26 PM
                          Hi David,

                             I'm sure you weren't referring to a night race for student drivers LOL  They (we) students were having enough time learning Marlboro in daylight. LOL

                          Don Haines
                          808-989-0047

                          Visit my Flickr site at:

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/

                          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 13 of 30 , Apr 11 5:36 PM

                            Don & David,

                            I don't have anything for an event on Friday September 13, 1963. The Drivers' School was scheduled for Saturday & Sunday the 14th & 15th. If you would like to share the detail you have I will add the event as being scheduled without results. This is common as is the situation you describe where an event is previewed or shows in a Coming Events listing, but there are no published results. We will just have to keep our eyes open for other sources that may contain detail.

                            There are a few references to other events listed as "Friday Night Sprints". So far we see these events scheduled, but haven't found results. Does anyone remember these?

                            Would be very interested in hearing more on this or any other event in the listing or not.

                            In a way I hope the Friday night event wasn't associated with the Drivers School. Would have been cruel to have students race in a night race on Friday, then teach them what to do on track on Saturday and Sunday. Not to mention selecting Friday the 13th for a race seems to be tempting fate!

                            Thanks,

                            Message 14 of 30 , Apr 11 6:33 PM
                              All,
                              David is correct. In one of our Straightpipes there is Dave Roethel's report of the Friday night (only) Regional. I can dig that copy up, but 1963 sounds about right. As far as I can tell from Dave Roethel's otter articles, this was the only night-only DC-Region SCCA event. Those who participated spoke of it glowingly. There was also a picture in the Straightpipe, but it's of horrible quality. Thank god Marlboro had lights around part of its oval.
                              Steve Lloyd, Historian
                              Washington DC Region, SCCA

                              Message 15 of 30 , Apr 11 6:39 PM
                                All,
                                The Stopwatcher was truly a blessing for all of us "back in the day" and you couldn't ask for nicer people than the Shentons. When I first became Historian for the DC Region SCCA, one of their Board, Chuck Allard, loaned be a Xerox paper box filled with Stopwatchers from the early days until its end. I only had a few weeks to peruse them and had to return them (via Chuck). I will check to see if Chuck remembers who loaned them to us. Michael may be a little disappointed as the Stopwatcher depended almost entirely on volunteer writers. Hence, not every race got covered, and some of the coverage they did receive was minimal, at best. Still, the Stopwatcher was unequaled in its coverage of the sports car scene in the DC area.
                                Steve lloyd, Historian
                                Washington Dc Region, SCCA

                                What I really crave are Ev Gardner's columns.  Those I sorely miss.  Are there collections of his columns? If so, these should be republished in bound volumes.  Shouldn't his columns be in some sort of an archive? am I the first one to broach this concern?
                                                                                                                                                                                                &a mp;n bsp;    Michael Ling

                                Message 16 of 30 , Apr 12 1:42 AM
                                  Hi Mike,

                                  Ev Gardner gave the event a paragraph as an upcoming race. The drivers named are familiar to us and were all experienced. Henry Hironaka was reported to be trying out his new Ferrari TRC. Prior to this he had been racing a Sprite so while he may have known his way around Marlboro, he was driving a car with a lot more potential.

                                   I believe he also had the TRC at the weekend driver's school. Probably taking the opportunity for more track time in a new, to him, car.

                                  The drivers in general did have some experience with night racing as the Six Hour  began in the afternoon and concluded at 10 pm. Also the Two Hour, which was  a fixture, usually ended up after dark and the 12 Hour had been run three times already.

                                  If I can get my scanner working I will scan the About Autos & Racing column.

[...]

                                • larryj300
                                  Message 17 of 30 , Apr 12 2:15 AM
                                    I found a little article from the Washington Post of 9-13-63. It says the following:

                                    MARLBORO HOLDS 8 RACES TONIGHT

                                    Night sports car races will be staged for the first time at Marlboro Motor Raceway tonight beginning at 8 p.m. Eight sprint races at 10 and 15 laps are scheduled over the short one mile course.
                                    Sixty-four entries, headed by two time national SCCA champion Bob Tullius of Arlington, will start. Tullius won production class titles this year and last driving Triumphs.

                                    I did not find any results in the following days Post or Sun.

                                    Larry Jendras

                                    --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, David&Carol <scshmoo@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Mike,
                                    >
                                    > Ev Gardner gave the event a paragraph as an upcoming race. The drivers named are familiar to us and were all experienced. Henry Hironaka was reported to be trying out his new Ferrari TRC. Prior to this he had been racing a Sprite so while he may have known his way around Marlboro, he was driving a car with a lot more potential.
                                    >
                                    > I believe he also had the TRC at the weekend driver's school. Probably taking the opportunity for more track time in a new, to him, car.
                                    >
                                    > The drivers in general did have some experience with night racing as the Six Hour began in the afternoon and concluded at 10 pm. Also the Two Hour, which was a fixture, usually ended up after dark and the 12 Hour had been run three times already.
                                    >
                                    > If I can get my scanner working I will scan the About Autos & Racing column.
                                    >
                                    > Best wishes,
                                    >
                                    > David
                                    >
                                    > Kauai
                                    > On 11 Apr 2012, at 14:36, Mike Matune wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > Don & David,
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't have anything for an event on Friday September 13, 1963. The Drivers' School was scheduled for Saturday & Sunday the 14th & 15th. If you would like to share the detail you have I will add the event as being scheduled without results. This is common as is the situation you describe where an event is previewed or shows in a Coming Events listing, but there are no published results. We will just have to keep our eyes open for other sources that may contain detail.
                                    > >
                                    > > There are a few references to other events listed as "Friday Night Sprints". So far we see these events scheduled, but haven't found results. Does anyone remember these?
                                    > >
                                    > > Would be very interested in hearing more on this or any other event in the listing or not.
                                    > >
                                    > > In a way I hope the Friday night event wasn't associated with the Drivers School. Would have been cruel to have students race in a night race on Friday, then teach them what to do on track on Saturday and Sunday. Not to mention selecting Friday the 13th for a race seems to be tempting fate!
                                    > >

                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > >
                                    > > Mike Matune

                                  • Erskine Kelly
                                    Message 18 of 30 , Apr 12 7:06 AM
                                      Am I the only one still alive who was entered in the first 6-hour event at Marlboro in 1956?

                                      I recall doing night practice in my Morgan and Fairthorpe for the six-hour, although the Morgan would only run in the EP race.

                                      I was first in class in the GP/FP race with the Fairthorpe in the earlier regional races.  My co-driver for the 6-hour race was in front of me in an FP Alfa, which I could have passed easily, but saw no reason to do so.

                                      I still have the lavender and black miniature checkered flag for the GP win that Tex Hopkins mailed to me after I had moved to Oklahoma.  A better trophy than a pot - - - -.

                                      The Fairthorpe was in third overall when I turned it over to my co-driver, who brought it in with a destroyed gearbox less than thirty minutes later.  Didn't race in the dark, other than to do a half-lap of the oval so as to "finish" the event.

                                      Rick Kelly
                                      Oklahoma City

                                      Message 19 of 30 , Apr 12 11:48 AM

                                        Rick - Thanks for the recollection. Hope you and others have more to share.

                                        David & Don - Will add the September 13, 1963 to our event list and keep searching for any results. Doesn't seem to be a need to promulgate a new list with every change, will probably hold off and do it in bunches. If anyone needs an interim copy, please let me know. Appreciate your help in identifying holes in the list.

                                        Larry Jendras - Larry advised me of four other Kart events that occurred in 1960 and 1963. These too will be added to the list. Thanks Larry

                                        Steve Lloyd - On the subject of Friday night events, there seems to have been one on September 4, 1964. The event was listed in the Coming Events section of the May 21 CP&A. In addition Terry O'Neil advises it was covered in the Baltimore Sun on September 6. While you are looking through Straight Pipe for the '63 event, could you please keep a lookout for anything on the '64 event. Thanks

                                        Take care,

                                          Message 21 of 30 , Apr 12 3:05 PM
                                            Hello Rick,
                                            I wish that I could remember what I was doing some 55 years ago, so for you to remember a 6 hour race is quite something. However...... from the information that you gave it would appear that it was the second 6-hr race in 1957 that you entered, partnered by Art Tweedale and although not running at the finish, still attained the distinction of 11th place in the Index of Performance. Well done to you!
                                            Kindest regards
                                            Terry

                                            Message 22 of 30 , Apr 30 4:07 PM

                                            I was at the DCPL today and took the opportunity to look for the results of the races held at Marlboro on Friday evening September 13, 1963. They were published in the Monday September 16, 1963 Washington Daily News in Ev Gardner's column. This event had previously been discussed here. Don  & Dave had mentioned they had seen pre-event publicity but not results, so here they are! There are two pages and you need to scroll down. The first page is the full page from the newspaper, while the second is a "zoomed-in" view that is easier to read. The pre-event publicity is also included.

                                            The search also turned up a few other events and clarifications. Once these are all complied into the new list, we will promulgate an updated copy.

                                            Thanks and take care,

                                            Mike Matune

                                          • Mike Matune
                                            Message 23 of 30 , May 3, 2012
                                            • 1 Attachment
                                            • 830 KB

                                            Good morning all,

                                            There had been some discussion in this group regarding Friday night races held in September of 1963 & 1964. recently the results of the 1963 race were posted here.

                                            Terry O'Neil was kind enough to provide the attached article from the Baltimore Sun that says the 1964 event was canceled. The article gives some interesting insights into goings-on at the track in this period of time. It makes interesting reading.

                                            Steve Lloyd and others said they were going to look for information on these two events and I wanted to provide what we had found in order to aid that search. Thanks Steve.

                                            Take care,

                                            Message 24 of 30 , May 3, 2012
                                              Aloha Mike,

                                              Thank you for digging up these reports.

                                              WOuld it be possible to get a larger scan of the 1964 article?

                                              The attachment is too small to read.

                                              On 3 May 2012, at 00:57, Mike Matune wrote:

                                              [Attachment(s) from Mike Matune included below]

                                              Good morning all,

                                              There had been some discussion in this group regarding Friday night races held in September of 1963 & 1964. recently the results of the 1963 race were posted here.

                                              Terry O'Neil was kind enough to provide the attached article from the Baltimore Sun that says the 1964 event was canceled. The article gives some interesting insights into goings-on at the track in this period of time. It makes interesting reading.

                                              Steve Lloyd and others said they were going to look for information on these two events and I wanted to provide what we had found in order to aid that search. Thanks Steve.

                                              Take care,

                                              Mike Matune

                                              Attachment(s) from Mike Matune

                                              1 of 1 Photo(s)

                                            • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
                                              Message 25 of 30 , May 3, 2012

                                                Hi Folks,

                                                I would like to track down Dan Torpy -- anyone out there have contact info for Dan

                                                Thanks much - i plan to hang out at the Jefferson 500 on Friday the 18th

                                                Regards,

                                                Sam Smith

                                                Marlboro resident - track groupie 60 t0 69 (go by there twice a day!)

                                              • Stefan Vapaa
                                                Message 26 of 30 , May 3, 2012
                                                  Hi Sam,
                                                  I don't think Dan is with us anymore.  Though I'd love to be wrong about that.

                                                  --
                                                  -STEFAN
                                                  http://www.at-speed.com
                                                  Message 27 of 30 , May 4, 2012
                                                    Dan is living in Boulder, Colorado with his wife Estelle. He has two grown children.
                                                    --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Vapaa <turbo@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi Sam,
                                                    > I don't think Dan is with us anymore. Though I'd love to be wrong about
                                                    > that.
                                                    >
                                                    > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM, <Sam_Smith01@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > **
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Hi Folks,
                                                    > >

                                                    > > I would like to track down Dan Torpy -- anyone out there have contact info
                                                    > > for Dan
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Thanks much - i plan to hang out at the Jefferson 500 on Friday the 18th
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Regards,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Sam Smith
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Marlboro resident - track groupie 60 t0 69 (go by there twice a day!)
                                                    > >

                                                    > --
                                                    > -STEFAN
                                                    > http://www.at-speed.com
                                                    > http://photos.at-speed.com
                                                    > http://www.formulasaab.com
                                                    > VSCCA comp #374
                                                    > VRG comp #97

                                                  • Mike Matune
                                                    Message 28 of 30 , May 4, 2012

                                                    Good morning all,

                                                    As promised , here is the latest version of the Marlboro Events List. We have updated events which are shown in red.

                                                    There are still numerous holes to fill and I am hoping folks will search through their collections to try to plug them. As an example, the list is partially based on lists of coming events published in period publications. With printing lead times, some of these may have occurred or not. Sometimes we are able to find results which confirm the event, but on at least one occasion an event was only confirmed by input from the Group. The list now contains a separate tab with a list of "Phantom Events" that were listed in coming events but later confirmed to not have occurred.

                                                    Larry provided some information on go-kart events sanctioned by the Competition Cart Club. Does anyone know anything more about this organization?

                                                    With Larry, Terry, Don, David & Steve's help, we were able to confirm the Friday Night Sprints were run in 1963, but canceled in 1964.

                                                    After a library trip earlier this week, two things have become apparent. First, to confirm which events occurred we are going to have to search period publications piece by piece. While the Sun & Post, as well as some period publications can (and have been) searched electronically, other newspapers and magazines need to be done by hand in microfilm or hard copy formats. This will be a slow process.

                                                    Secondly, I have to agree with Michael Ling who mentioned Ev Gardner's columns. Gardner covered not only the local racing scene, but also always included information on the national scene. Looking through his work, you realize just what a great time capsule it is. It would be great if these could be compiled into one place, but a herculean task at best.

                                                    Thanks again to all who have contributed. We will keep working on this and promulgate additional versions as we make progress.

                                                    Take care,

                                                    Mike Matune

                                                  • Stefan Vapaa
                                                    Message 29 of 30 , May 4, 2012
                                                      That's cool!  Perhaps I could get the contact info as well, as I am "involved" with one of his old cars and would love to ask some questions about it.

                                                      --
                                                      -STEFAN
                                                      http://www.at-speed.com
                                                      Message 30 of 30 , May 4, 2012
                                                        Good morning Mike Matune.  I am not familiar with DC Library's workings whatsoever, but I hate to drop the idea of gathering up Ev's columns without a deeper understanding of the task.  I would lik to know about the ease of access, library hours, copying facilities, and potential cost of downloading the materials.  What about a estimate of days necessary to compile the material? Would a month do it?  Please do not circulate this letter among the Group because I definitely do not want to get the hope up prematurely, hust keeping it between you and I for now.
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Michael Ling