Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] White Lightning and more

  • Ed Diehl
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hello,Steve. Please if you are really going to have another get -together please be sure to lert me know enough in advance to make plans to attend. Rick told me what a great time it was and I was jealous. I'll need some notice as we live in Largo Fl. and it's a pretty good haul to get to your area. We also were racing at Sebring last weekend so we would have to work around that sort of thing. Thanks to you and all involved in the project and hope to see you all at the next event. Cheers, Ed.

      Steve Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:
      Folks,
      Thanks to Rick Mandelson, Steve Knoll and Phil Charlwood for their
      kind words about the Marlboro history presentation this past
      weekend. I just knew everyone would have fun seeing Dave Roethel's
      movies (and mine, I hope!) from those good times. There are a few
      impressions I'm left with after that experience: 1. Even folks who
      never heard of Marlboro seemed to enjoy the movies. A few younger
      SCCA racers wanted to know where the track was so they could race
      there. 2. There are more movies and memoribilia to come from other
      veterans of that era. More importantly, perhaps, is the willingness,
      one might even say urgency, in wanting the movies to get burned to
      DVDs for more universal use and preservation. Several of our history
      types volutneered to underwrite some or all of these expenses. The
      Washington DC Region SCCA clearly is willing to do this with the
      16mm Dave Roethel bequeathed to them. 3. I have at least broached
      the
      subject of selling copies of any such DVDs with the powers that be
      with the DC Region, SCCA. There may be a few copyright issues we
      need to address first, but we have a lead on legal help in this
      matter through a contact of Bob Houston's. More to come, so stay
      tuned...

      Finally, although I think my presentation went well, it could have
      been much better. I did not know until just a few hours before the
      presentation, that it was only a small part of a larger Summit Point
      Raceway SPARC fund raiser. I'm certainly not complaining, but I just
      didn't know. I had prepared notes that would accompany the
      presentation -- pointing out quick scenes that otherwise might be
      missed, and we were not able to get started until fairly late that
      evening. I had to dump the notes. We'll know better for next time.
      One other item I wish we could have forseen was the technology. I am
      used to the speed of my home desktop computer (a fairly modern,
      powerful system)but we were really limited with the older laptop
      Chuck Allard provided. Poor Chuck, he had been led to believe I was
      bring my own DVD player, and we were damned lucky he had his laptop
      there! Chuck did have a really super projector, however. A more
      modern DVD player would have enabled us to stop on different scenes,
      back it up,. etc. but in retrospect, I'll betcha we'd have been
      watching those movies until the wee hours of the morning if we'd
      kept stopping it! But that's a good kind of problem to have!

      In any case, the DC region wants to do a few more of these
      presentations, and I've got the movies for them (at least another
      two hours I figure). Gayle Lorenz, RE of the DC Region, is thinking
      one presentation at
      the beginning of the season and another at the end -- taking
      advantage of earlier darker hours -- making the outdoor viewing
      start earlier. (There is no convenient place to fit the crowd we had
      indoors, even in a BSR classroom!)

      So, fellow lovers of racing hsitory, we're moving ahead and we're
      bringing back the Golden Age. It's going to be an awesome ride! And
      thank all of you for sharing both here in our Yahoo group and
      locally!
      Steve Lloyd

      Ed Diehl

    • Steve Lloyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
        Ed,
        YOu can be sure I will lete you now. IT would be great to have you
        here to share that with us. I trust Rick told you that you (racing
        the SAAB) appeared in one of the movies.
        Steve Lloyd

        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Ed Diehl <mediehljr@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > watching those movies until the wee hours of the morning if we'd
        > kept stopping it! But that's a good kind of problem to have!
        >
        > In any case, the DC region wants to do a few more of these
        > presentations, and I've got the movies for them (at least another
        > two hours I figure). Gayle Lorenz, RE of the DC Region, is
        thinking
        > one presentation at
        > the beginning of the season and another at the end -- taking
        > advantage of earlier darker hours -- making the outdoor viewing
        > start earlier. (There is no convenient place to fit the crowd we
        had
        > indoors, even in a BSR classroom!)
        >
        > So, fellow lovers of racing hsitory, we're moving ahead and we're
        > bringing back the Golden Age. It's going to be an awesome ride!
        And
        > thank all of you for sharing both here in our Yahoo group and

      • Don Haines
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
          Hi Steve,
            I regret not making it up on Saturday but I had photo stuff to do.  I made it up on Sunday after Rick called and  woke me up.   I was hoping to see some old Marlboro types but only found Rick  and Harrison.

             He said there were some shots of me in the slide show.  Were these from the ones I  had sent in  or are they new stuff.  Also ,  does anyone have film of the the 1969  season?  That's what I'd like to  find and see.

          Don

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
            Don,
            Sorry you couldn't have been there Saturday. It was fun and I'm only
            now beginning to understand how much people enjoyed it.

            The slideshow shot of you was from my collection on this web site,
            so it wasn't new. I guess other folks forgot seeing it here.

            I may have some movie scenes from 1969 -- I'm not sure. Part of the
            problem is that I did not date them. And then Hurricane Agnes also
            claimed some of my footage years ago.

            As I review this stuff I'll be on the lookout for you.
            Steve L.

            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Don Haines
            <donhainesphoto@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > kept stopping it! But that's a good kind of problem to have!
            >
            > In any case, the DC region wants to do a few more of these
            > presentations, and I've got the movies for them (at least
            another
            > two hours I figure). Gayle Lorenz, RE of the DC Region, is
            thinking
            > one presentation at
            > the beginning of the season and another at the end -- taking
            > advantage of earlier darker hours -- making the outdoor viewing
            > start earlier. (There is no convenient place to fit the crowd we
            had
            > indoors, even in a BSR classroom!)
            >
            > So, fellow lovers of racing hsitory, we're moving ahead and
            we're
            > bringing back the Golden Age. It's going to be an awesome ride!
            And
            > thank all of you for sharing both here in our Yahoo group and

            30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

          • Don Haines
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
              Thanks Steve,

                 I can only hope someone took film/video of some of those races. :-)

              Don

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
                Don,
                I know what you mean. I could never afford racing sports cars, but I did race motorcycles at Summit Point, first with AAMRR and later WERA. I have exactly six photos of all of my racing then, and three of them are tiny Instamatic-type shots. And of course, when I qualified 23rd in the 50-bike 350cc "Cafe" professional race (the only one of my brief career) I have nothing tangible to recall from that event except my old leathers! At least they still fit.
                Steve L.