Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Tony a2z Volvo photos

  • Steven Benford Jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2006
      Tony will be at the VSCDA event at Road America on September 16-17 weekend.  I will be at this race, is any one else planning on going?

      The following is from the VSCDA web site:
      Special Guest: Tony Adamowicz
      VSCDA welcomes Racing legend Tony
      Adamowicz as our very special guest for the
      weekend. Tony’s professional motorsports career is a
      reflection of what we know as vintage and historic
      racing today. His career spans an amazing two
      decades in Trans-Am, Can-Am, F5000, LeMans,
      Daytona, Indy, and IMSA - it is no wonder Tony is
      also known as “a2zracer”.
      Tony began his professional career racing a
      Volvo 544 sedan from 1963-1966, winning the
      Northeast SCCA Regional B-sedan Championship in
      1965. In 1966 he was hired by Bob Tullius and
      Group 44 under the condition the Volvo would be
      retired.
      From here, Tony burst on the motorsports
      scene, winning the 1968 under-2-liter Trans-Am
      championship in a Porsche 911, and then the 1969
      Formula-5000 Series championship in a Chevypowered
      Eagle. He would go on to play a vital role in
      the legendary battles between Ferrari and Porsche in
      the 1970's. In the 1980’s he went on to win the 1981
      IMSA GTU Championship and the 1982 and 1983
      IMSA GTO Championship.
      Today, Tony continues to run and win
      endurance races, is a driving instructor and, together
      with Norm Silverman, owns
      a2z Racer Gear™, a
      unique provider of vintage style racing apparel and
      accessories.

      Steve Knoll <sknoll@...> wrote:
      Gentlefolk,

      Tony Adamowicz recently forwarded a few photos from Bill Oursler of
      his first race car, a Volvo 544

      He started racing this car in 1963 when he was serving as an Army
      communications aide in the White House

      http://www.a2zracer .com/page5. html

      (link to that chapter on Tony's site above)

      Anyway, I think you'll get a chuckle out of them

      Also www.laprecord. com has been updated with photos from the Sonoma
      Grand Prix

      As the offseason approaches, I'll be looking to do more stories on
      Marlboro, so any old images/stories would be much appreciated

      Yy
      Steve K