Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: 1966 Sept National, Bill Dobbins photos courtesy WDCR SCCA

  • hugh nutting
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 19, 2012
      Any idea who car 11 D belonged to?  thanks Hugh

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
        Thanks again Steve. The car directly behind me going into the toe of the boot is Leon Sachs in his Volvo powered car which I think is a homebuilt or highly modified
        something. In one of the grid pictures standing next to the car with the long hair is my ex who I havn't seen in over forty years. No comment!
        If I could only afford to have kept the '59 RSK I wouldn't have to still be working. Instead I'd be flying around the country in my little airplane.
        I paid Fred Touchton about $2700 and sold it at the end of the year for $2500. I know a lot of us Marlboro folks have stories like that.

                  Glen

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
          Car 11 is a Sable. I seem to remember that as being a Corvair powered car driven by John Sable. It was maroon in color.

                   Glen Sullivan

          Any idea who car 11 D belonged to?  thanks Hugh

          Sorry no on-track close ups of your car Glen but a couple of exciting moments for you in The Boot, it seems

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, glensullivan@... wrote:
          > I mentioned that I would like to find a picture of my RSK which I ran in that race. It was dark maroon, an F modified car,

        • Robert Hines

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
              Freedom, as you know, is priceless Bob!

              Glen

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
                That's what Photoshop is for

                --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, glensullivan@... wrote:

                No comment!
              • hugh nutting
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
                  Thanks - think that is correct.  I found something on-line about John.  At first I thought it was a D SR, the newer class for H-mod cars.  I am interested of immages of specials from the early 1950s if any one has any. I own a SCCA Glasspar from the west coast. I have looked at all the Marlboro early Albums.  Hugh

                  Car 11 is a Sable. I seem to remember that as being a Corvair powered car driven by John Sable. It was maroon in color.

                           Glen Sullivan

                  Any idea who car 11 D belonged to?  thanks Hugh

                  Sorry no on-track close ups of your car Glen but a couple of exciting moments for you in The Boot, it seems

                  --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, glensullivan@... wrote:
                  > I mentioned that I would like to find a picture of my RSK which I ran in that race. It was dark maroon, an F modified car,

                • Don Haines
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 20, 2012
                    John's car was Corvair powered. At one time, I believe in '69. it was silver.  I heard a story that John took to car to the track and tested it with a wing. Story goes he used a piece of plywood and recorded the angles until he got his best lap times. I heard it was about 11 degrees.

                    Don Haines
                    808-989-0047

                    Visit my Flickr site at:

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42079599@N02/sets/