RE: [Marlboro_Raceway] A starting point for discussion

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006

      No Museum!

      From: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Bob Storck
      Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 5:46 AM
      To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] A starting point for discussion

      I have been wanting to reply, but absence and infirmity have kept me silent. I'm glad to see so muich of the exhage is in agreement with these thoughts.

      Cheers, Bob

      Steve Knoll wrote:

      1. Goals & Objectives

      What is it that we want to accomplish? We could do anything from
      cherry picking a few documents/photos to publish on the web up to
      doing a full-blown Marlboro History site along the lines of VIR. A
      couple of you have mentioned publishing projects you've considered
      in the past

      Do we start with something small & see where it leads us?

      I don't think we want to nor do we have what it takes to begin a museum. A museum is a headache regarding facility, staffing, insurance, etc, etc! On top of that, who would go to a Marlboro raceway museum?

      It seems to me that we should offer help to the DC region in cataloguing what they have, and use the website as a means of keeping this lore alive.

      2. Archival Integrity

      I hope Bob Storck will make some comments about this topic. The bad
      news is worrying about this adds some complexity to the project. The
      good news is worrying about this should add to our credibility with
      the DC Region, hopefully making access more likely & more flexible.
      Also it is a matter of personal honor & trust

      As mentioned above,  it is important that folks realise what exists. People will have more confidence in donating their "treasures" if they know that they will be protected and not pilfered.

      Two places have been siggested as placves where they could be stored and accessible for folks to study. Watkins Glen archives and Latimore , PA. I tend toward the first, as it seems to be more closely aligned with road racing. Perhaps someone can visit and check out the situation.

      3. Current Membership

      Currently the membership is small & with diverse & relevant skills
      as far as I can tell. The larger the membership the more difficult
      coordination & such become

      I'm of two minds here. I see the value of a small group to examine and guide archives, etc. but it is valuable to get widespread input.

      4. Additional Membership

      Bob has suggested an additional member, Gordon White, who has
      expressed an interest & has relevant skills. Perhaps Bob would like
      to expand on this a bit

      Apparently Gordon has joined and is a welcome addition. He has published many books on round track racing, most notably histories of Miller, Offenhauser and Kurtis. He has published a "Lost Race Tracks" book which includes Marlboro. He is an unofficial staff advisor to the Auto collection of the Smishsonian National Museun of  American History, and keeps our auto lore active there. He has colllected hundreds of drawings of Miller and Offy engines and cars, as well as National Speed Sport News. Welcome, Gordon!

      5. Resources/Skills Needed

      Obviously our goals & strategies will strongly influence where we
      want to go with adding to our membership

      Perhaps the greatest boon is the website that Steve and others have created on Marlboro. It keeps our interest alive.

      6. Relationship with SCCA

      Should we just be grateful to use their collection, or should we
      provide them with some level of service, i.e. helping them to
      classify & calalog their collection

      We should make it clear that we don't want to take over the archives but would be happy to advise and possible catalogue what they have.

      7. Leadership

      Since the work "on the ground" will occur mostly in the DC area, I
      would hope that some of the folks there would take a leadership role
      & we should think how those of us who are remote can assist support
      you

      I"m delighted that Phil Charlwood is a member as he is creative and his dad had a large part in creating the lore of Marlboro. Dave R. talked Phil into donating much of his holdings to the collection so Phil has a good sense of some of the holdings.

    • slloydmarlboro
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Knoll" <sknoll@...>
        wrote:

        > No Museum!
        >

        > _____

        fond of Kick Englund's VIR site, but it's not interactive. I like
        that we can post our own photos, files, etc. I'm not sure I
        personally have a clear vision of what I'd want, not am I sure I can
        devote the time required for a more grandiose or formal effort -- at
        least for now. It started with the thought that folks who want to
        share memories of Marlboro cold do so. Let's see where that goes. We
        could always re-assess later.

        > 2. Archival Integrity
        >
        > I hope Bob Storck will make some comments about this topic. The
        bad
        > news is worrying about this adds some complexity to the project.
        The
        > good news is worrying about this should add to our credibility
        with
        > the DC Region, hopefully making access more likely & more
        flexible.
        > Also it is a matter of personal honor & trust
        >
        > As mentioned above, it is important that folks realise what
        exists. People
        > will have more confidence in donating their "treasures" if they
        know that
        > they will be protected and not pilfered.
        >
        > Two places have been siggested as placves where they could be
        stored and
        > accessible for folks to study. Watkins Glen archives and Latimore,
        PA. I
        > tend toward the first, as it seems to be more closely aligned with
        road
        > racing. Perhaps someone can visit and check out the situation.
        >
        > SL: I'm not sure I'd want the WDCR, SCCA to "hand over" the
        archives nor are we prepared to house them properly. Until we know
        what we're dealing with -- and we won't have any idea until Gayle's
        return in mid-march -- it strikes me as premature. Do we want to
        take care of it while it's in our use? Hell, yes.

        > 3. Current Membership
        >
        > Currently the membership is small & with diverse & relevant skills
        > as far as I can tell. The larger the membership the more difficult
        > coordination & such become
        >
        > I'm of two minds here. I see the value of a small group to examine
        and guide
        > archives, etc. but it is valuable to get widespread input.
        >

        > 4. Additional Membership
        >
        > Bob has suggested an additional member, Gordon White, who has
        > expressed an interest & has relevant skills. Perhaps Bob would
        like
        > to expand on this a bit
        >
        > Apparently Gordon has joined and is a welcome addition. He has
        published
        > many books on round track racing, most notably histories of Miller,
        > Offenhauser and Kurtis. He has published a "Lost Race Tracks" book
        which
        > includes Marlboro. He is an unofficial staff advisor to the Auto
        collection
        > of the Smishsonian National Museun of American History, and keeps
        our auto
        > lore active there. He has colllected hundreds of drawings of
        Miller and Offy
        > engines and cars, as well as National Speed Sport News. Welcome,
        Gordon!

        > 5. Resources/Skills Needed
        >
        > Obviously our goals & strategies will strongly influence where we
        > want to go with adding to our membership
        >
        > Perhaps the greatest boon is the website that Steve and others
        have created
        > on Marlboro. It keeps our interest alive.
        >

        > 6. Relationship with SCCA
        >
        > Should we just be grateful to use their collection, or should we
        > provide them with some level of service, i.e. helping them to
        > classify & calalog their collection
        >
        > We should make it clear that we don't want to take over the
        archives but
        > would be happy to advise and possible catalogue what they have.
        >

        > 7. Leadership
        >
        > Since the work "on the ground" will occur mostly in the DC area, I
        > would hope that some of the folks there would take a leadership
        role
        > & we should think how those of us who are remote can assist
        support
        > you
        >
        > I"m delighted that Phil Charlwood is a member as he is creative
        and his dad
        > had a large part in creating the lore of Marlboro. Dave R. talked
        Phil into
        > donating much of his holdings to the collection so Phil has a good
        sense of
        > some of the holdings.
        >

        > _____

        > Auto
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Auto+racing+supply&w1=Auto+racing+suppl

        y&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Au
        to+raci
        > ng+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=w82-
        Bdu4kPhccBWeiV4tHA
        > > racing supply
        >
        > Auto
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Auto+racing+suit&w1=Auto+racing+supply&

        w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Auto
        +racing

        +collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=oDXh7lEbMRLzW9_HZ
        1A81A>
        > racing suit
        >
        > Auto
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Auto+racing+game&w1=Auto+racing+supply&

        w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Auto
        +racing

        +collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=PTeuewYwR0FRatl5h
        GqC4A>
        > racing game
        >

        > Nascar
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Nascar+auto+racing&w1=Auto+racing+suppl

        y&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Au
        to+raci

        ng+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=OKbjDUb23RgPDeP
        WTZ7k1g
        > > auto racing
        >
        > Auto
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Auto+racing+collectible&w1=Auto+racing+

        supply&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&
        w5=Auto

        +racing+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=myN3UdgRj3
        JxVKfZF
        > gTsdQ> racing collectible
        >
        > Auto
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Auto+racing+magazine&w1=Auto+racing+sup

        ply&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=
        Auto+ra

        cing+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=1KthwfIUdFxqV
        Bm0SQ3l
        > dw> racing magazine
        >

        > _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS