Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Marlboro race results

  • sbroethel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
      Thanks, Craig!  I had no idea that web site existed!!

      Sue Roethel

      In a message dated 10/27/2011 8:12:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, john932c@... writes:

      Here's a good start: http://www.racingsportscars.com/track/archive/Marlboro.html.  Driver's schools will be especially tough to find, unless the results might be included in Regional newsletters from the time.

      Regards,

      Craig Wheeldon
      Maple Ridge, BC

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2011

        Ray,

        For Marlboro results you may want to check:

        Library of Congress – They have a number of period automotive publications in either hard copy or microfilm format. Your best sources for SCCA National & Regional results may be National Speed Sport News, Sports Car Graphic and Sports Car. These are all there, although some are more complete collections than others.

        DC Public Library – The MLK Branch has newspaper archives for a number of active and defunct Washington DC newspapers including The Post, Times, Star, Daily News, etc. in microfilm format. I have had good luck with Ev Gardner’s column in The Daily News. Race reporting and coverage on Marlboro varies greatly, but on occasion, it does contain detail.

        Local Library – As an example, the Fairfax County Public Library holds the Washington Post and Road & Track on microfilm.

        The other publication that may contain some results is Competition Press (now Autoweek). The only complete collection of this era I know of is at the Detroit Public Library. They will research a subject for a fee. I have used them and found their fees reasonable and service timely.

        Another source is a company called Sports Car Scan. They scan and produce searchable DVD’s for some period publications like; Today¹s Motor Sport, Competition Press, Motor Sports Journal, MotoRacing, and West Coast Sports Car Journal. Advertised costs for these run from $300 - $500. I have never used them; only know of them through their website http://www.sportscarscan.com/ .

        Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

        Mike Matune

      • Ray Fleming