Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] SVRA NJMP and thanks

  • Marcus Buzz
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
      Way to go. Got to try that Vintage racing some day when I get older. Just won the SCCA Florida region Championship for the second year in a row. Will drive with Jeff Segal in FARA 3 hour at Homestead on Oct 18th
      Buzz

      The Buzzman zoooooman along
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
        A Weekend Enjoyed

        Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Don Frye and I arranged this trip in celebration of Rob's 70th birthday. When we discovered that that Dick would be competing there it sealed our plan.

        Our weekend at NJMP and the SVRA meeting was made truly memorable by Dick Stockton and the "71 Crowd".... Bob, Kyle, Bob's son and the others who graciously made us welcome in their paddock.
        Could we somehow have been transported back to the mid/late 1960's? The camaraderie we all enjoyed back in "the day" is still alive and well.......although the cars are quicker now.
        Dick gets the 71 TR-4 around the track very well, consistently contending for the overall lead in his group until being forced to retire as a result of the incident Bob described.
        Congratulations to George Wright on piloting his TR-4 to a podium finish in the Sunday race.
        All of us valued the opportunity to spend the weekend with friends, old..... and new.
        We look forward to being in the "71" paddock with you guys in the Spring.

        Please give our best to Dick.

        Fred Hannasch

        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob Adams <adams910@...> wrote:

        > I just remembered I was still able to post messages to this group.
        >
        > It was great to meet Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Fred Hannasch, and Don Haines
        > this weekend at NJMP. They came up to help Dick Stockton and crew field his
        > TR4. Hopefully they will become regular fixtures to our paddock.
        >
        > Quick race report:
        >
        > Dick qualified 2nd overall, a few tenths behind a Lotus Super (1500cc, dual
        > webers, 1175lbs) driven by a "hot shoe" SCCA driver from the early 80s. In
        > the first qualifying race, Dick got by the Super 7 and led him for half the
        > race before the Super 7 got by; Dick finished 2nd. During Saturday's main
        > race, Dick put on a tremendous display of driving by out-braking the Super 7
        > around the outside of Turn 1 on lap two and led the race until the Super 7
        > driver failed to make a clean pass (politely put) with three to go. Dick's
        > car suffered some minor suspension damage which put an end to the weekend.
        > Proving that getting older doesn't mean getting slower, Dick re-set his
        > personal best by over a second this weekend (1.36.8 for those who know the
        > track). The next fastest car to the Super 7 and Dick's TR was 4 seconds per
        > lap slower.
        >
        > Thanks to Bob, Jim, Fred, and Don for the help all weekend. Looking forward
        > to seeing you guys at the next race.
        >
        > Bob Adams

      • Tony Adamowicz
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
          Thanks Fred for the sharing update,

          wished I could have been there for Rob Krokus's 70th B day. Some how we need to bring hm into the 21st century and get a computer !  ?

          As you know Misery Manor gang that is still around, Jim Taylor, my self are in tune.

          Just ran my last race of the season at Infineon raceway, Sonoma, Ca. in the RIAM Eagle FA5000 car, finishing 2nd in the race and winning the overall F5000 Championship again.

          Us ole Marlboro guys are still doing pretty good, remember its not over til its over.

          " Keeping the Legends Alive "

          a2z

          "If you CAN dream it,
          It WILL happen "

          Tony a2z Adamowicz

          Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Don Frye and I arranged this trip in celebration of Rob's 70th birthday. When we discovered that that Dick would be competing there it sealed our plan.

          Our weekend at NJMP and the SVRA meeting was made truly memorable by Dick Stockton and the "71 Crowd".... Bob, Kyle, Bob's son and the others who graciously made us welcome in their paddock.
          Could we somehow have been transported back to the mid/late 1960's? The camaraderie we all enjoyed back in "the day" is still alive and well.......although the cars are quicker now.
          Dick gets the 71 TR-4 around the track very well, consistently contending for the overall lead in his group until being forced to retire as a result of the incident Bob described.
          Congratulations to George Wright on piloting his TR-4 to a podium finish in the Sunday race.
          All of us valued the opportunity to spend the weekend with friends, old..... and new.
          We look forward to being in the "71" paddock with you guys in the Spring.

          Please give our best to Dick.

          Fred Hannasch

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob Adams <adams910@...> wrote:

          > I just remembered I was still able to post messages to this group.
          >
          > It was great to meet Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Fred Hannasch, and Don Haines
          > this weekend at NJMP. They came up to help Dick Stockton and crew field his
          > TR4. Hopefully they will become regular fixtures to our paddock.
          >
          > Quick race report:
          >
          > Dick qualified 2nd overall, a few tenths behind a Lotus Super (1500cc, dual
          > webers, 1175lbs) driven by a "hot shoe" SCCA driver from the early 80s. In
          > the first qualifying race, Dick got by the Super 7 and led him for half the
          > race before the Super 7 got by; Dick finished 2nd. During Saturday's main
          > race, Dick put on a tremendous display of driving by out-braking the Super 7
          > around the outside of Turn 1 on lap two and led the race until the Super 7
          > driver failed to make a clean pass (politely put) with three to go. Dick's
          > car suffered some minor suspension damage which put an end to the weekend.
          > Proving that getting older doesn't mean getting slower, Dick re-set his
          > personal best by over a second this weekend (1.36.8 for those who know the
          > track). The next fastest car to the Super 7 and Dick's TR was 4 seconds per
          > lap slower.
          >
          > Thanks to Bob, Jim, Fred, and Don for the help all weekend. Looking forward
          > to seeing you guys at the next race.
          >
          > Bob Adams

        • Robert Hines
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
            Congratulations for another championship.  Rob K lives just down Wilson Blvd. from my son's house and last year came over to our garage and helped set up a differential.  I don't know if he is still working for Rosenthal or not.
            Bob HInes

            Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Don Frye and I arranged this trip in celebration of Rob's 70th birthday. When we discovered that that Dick would be competing there it sealed our plan.

            Our weekend at NJMP and the SVRA meeting was made truly memorable by Dick Stockton and the "71 Crowd".... Bob, Kyle, Bob's son and the others who graciously made us welcome in their paddock.
            Could we somehow have been transported back to the mid/late 1960's? The camaraderie we all enjoyed back in "the day" is still alive and well.......although the cars are quicker now.
            Dick gets the 71 TR-4 around the track very well, consistently contending for the overall lead in his group until being forced to retire as a result of the incident Bob described.
            Congratulations to George Wright on piloting his TR-4 to a podium finish in the Sunday race.
            All of us valued the opportunity to spend the weekend with friends, old..... and new.
            We look forward to being in the "71" paddock with you guys in the Spring.

            Please give our best to Dick.

            Fred Hannasch

            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob Adams <adams910@...> wrote:

            > I just remembered I was still able to post messages to this group.
            >
            > It was great to meet Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Fred Hannasch, and Don Haines
            > this weekend at NJMP. They came up to help Dick Stockton and crew field his
            > TR4. Hopefully they will become regular fixtures to our paddock.
            >
            > Quick race report:
            >
            > Dick qualified 2nd overall, a few tenths behind a Lotus Super (1500cc, dual
            > webers, 1175lbs) driven by a "hot shoe" SCCA driver from the early 80s. In
            > the first qualifying race, Dick got by the Super 7 and led him for half the
            > race before the Super 7 got by; Dick finished 2nd. During Saturday's main
            > race, Dick put on a tremendous display of driving by out-braking the Super 7
            > around the outside of Turn 1 on lap two and led the race until the Super 7
            > driver failed to make a clean pass (politely put) with three to go. Dick's
            > car suffered some minor suspension damage which put an end to the weekend.
            > Proving that getting older doesn't mean getting slower, Dick re-set his
            > personal best by over a second this weekend (1.36.8 for those who know the
            > track). The next fastest car to the Super 7 and Dick's TR was 4 seconds per
            > lap slower.
            >
            > Thanks to Bob, Jim, Fred, and Don for the help all weekend. Looking forward
            > to seeing you guys at the next race.
            >
            > Bob Adams

          • Erskine Kelly
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
              A-Z, did you have time to eat in Schellville while you were at Infineon?

              The town is named in honor of Harry Schell's ancestor, who was at one time a major land owner in the area.

              Harry and his father were born in Europe, but maintained their U.S. citizenship, as did Harry's mother, who was also a rally driver back in the 1930s.  She sponsored two Masers at Indianapolis after Harry's father died in a traffic accident.  She was the sole heir to her father's fortune, and spent much of it on her racing team.  She was instrumental in getting Rene Dreyfus to the U.S. before the Krauts could ship him to Auschwitz.  He had an excellent restaurant in Manhattan, Le Chanteclair (sic?) which was an obligatory stop for F-1 people with time in NYC from the mid-50s to the 90s.

              If there is space on the walls of the restaurant in Schellville, it would be nice to have a dozen or so framed photos on their walls of the Schell familly racers.

              Rick Kelly
              Oklahoma City

> [...]

              > webers, 1175lbs) driven by a "hot shoe" SCCA driver from the early 80s. In
              > the first qualifying race, Dick got by the Super 7 and led him for half the
              > race before the Super 7 got by; Dick finished 2nd. During Saturday's main
              > race, Dick put on a tremendous display of driving by out-braking the Super 7
              > around the outside of Turn 1 on lap two and led the race until the Super 7
              > driver failed to make a clean pass (politely put) with three to go. Dick's
              > car suffered some minor suspension damage which put an end to the weekend.
              > Proving that getting older doesn't mean getting slower, Dick re-set his
              > personal best by over a second this weekend (1.36.8 for those who know the
              > track). The next fastest car to the Super 7 and Dick's TR was 4 seconds per
              > lap slower.
              >
              > Thanks to Bob, Jim, Fred, and Don for the help all weekend. Looking forward

            • fredhannasch
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                Hi Bob:
                Yes Rob is still at Rosenthal. Hope all is well with you.

                --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hines <racerbob4@...> wrote:

                > Congratulations for another championship.  Rob K lives just down Wilson Blvd. from my son's house and last year came over to our garage and helped set up a differential.  I don't know if he is still working for Rosenthal or not.
                > Bob HInes
                >

                > ________________________________

              • fredhannasch
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Tony:
                  We missed you. How about the 2012 Mitty?

                  --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Tony Adamowicz <a2z_racer@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Fred for the sharing update,
                  >
                  > wished I could have been there for Rob Krokus's 70th B day. Some how we need to bring hm into the 21st century and get a computer !  ?
                  >
                  > As you know Misery Manor gang that is still around, Jim Taylor, my self are in tune.
                  >
                  > Just ran my last race of the season at Infineon raceway, Sonoma, Ca. in the RIAM Eagle FA5000 car, finishing 2nd in the race and winning the overall F5000 Championship again.
                  >
                  > Us ole Marlboro guys are still doing pretty good, remember its not over til its over.
                  >
                  > " Keeping the Legends Alive "
                  >
                  > a2z
                  >
                  > "If you CAN dream it,It WILL happen "
                  >
                  > Tony a2z Adamowicz

                • Tony Adamowicz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Thanks Fred, Miss You guys as well.

                    Must be ole age and getting sentimental

                    Not sure about the Mitty, will depend if I am needed there.

                    " Keeping the Legends Alive "

                    Cheers a2z

                    "If you CAN dream it,
                    It WILL happen "

                    We missed you. How about the 2012 Mitty?

                    --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Tony Adamowicz <a2z_racer@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Fred for the sharing update,
                    >
                    > wished I could have been there for Rob Krokus's 70th B day. Some how we need to bring hm into the 21st century and get a computer !  ?
                    >
                    > As you know Misery Manor gang that is still around, Jim Taylor, my self are in tune.
                    >
                    > Just ran my last race of the season at Infineon raceway, Sonoma, Ca. in the RIAM Eagle FA5000 car, finishing 2nd in the race and winning the overall F5000 Championship again.
                    >
                    > Us ole Marlboro guys are still doing pretty good, remember its not over til its over.
                    >
                    > " Keeping the Legends Alive "
                    >
                    > a2z
                    >
                    > "If you CAN dream it,It WILL happen "
                    >
                    > Tony a2z Adamowicz

                  • Tony Adamowicz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                      Tks Bob,

                      It good to know he keeps his hand in it.... Mods by Manor

                      " Keeping the Legends Alive "

                      cheers  a2z

                      "If you CAN dream it,
                      It WILL happen "

                    • Yuccaseed@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                        Sure sounds like last weekend was a blast for all. Do wish Robbie a happy one from me. Great to hear you guys still having fun with all this old stuff, except Buzz refusing to do the old stuff. He`s not ready yet. I bet Skuz and the gang were a great crew!
                        All the best,
                         Don Breslauer
                      • Tony Adamowicz
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011

                          WoW Rick, Wished I knew about that early on. The car owner was in a hurry to get back, not time during the race weekend to go anywhere important or nice. We Did travel back to Riverside Museum in his ole masser Porte sedan, black mafia pace car.

                          Thanks for sharing about Harry Schell and Rene Dreyfus, who was an Exceptional man, and great racing driver. I frequented Le Chanteclair restaurant many times. Sad to see it all disappear, the men and their history.

                          I will have check out the family restaurant in Schellville for a future visit.

                          Cheers
                          Tony Adamowicz
                          .

                          Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Don Frye and I arranged this trip in celebration of Rob's 70th birthday. When we discovered that that Dick would be competing there it sealed our plan.

                          Our weekend at NJMP and the SVRA meeting was made truly memorable by Dick Stockton and the "71 Crowd".... Bob, Kyle, Bob's son and the others who graciously made us welcome in their paddock.
                          Could we somehow have been transported back to the mid/late 1960's? The camaraderie we all enjoyed back in "the day" is still alive and well.......although the cars are quicker now.
                          Dick gets the 71 TR-4 around the track very well, consistently contending for the overall lead in his group until being forced to retire as a result of the incident Bob described.
                          Congratulations to George Wright on piloting his TR-4 to a podium finish in the Sunday race.
                          All of us valued the opportunity to spend the weekend with friends, old..... and new.
                          We look forward to being in the "71" paddock with you guys in the Spring.

                          Please give our best to Dick.

                          Fred Hannasch

                          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Bob Adams <adams910@...> wrote:

                          > I just remembered I was still able to post messages to this group.
                          >
                          > It was great to meet Jim Taylor, Bob Krokus, Fred Hannasch, and Don Haines
                          > this weekend at NJMP. They came up to help Dick Stockton and crew field his
                          > TR4. Hopefully they will become regular fixtures to our paddock.
                          >
                          > Quick race report:
                          >
                          > Dick qualified 2nd overall, a few tenths behind a Lotus Super (1500cc, dual
                          > webers, 1175lbs) driven by a "hot shoe" SCCA driver from the early 80s. In
                          > the first qualifying race, Dick got by the Super 7 and led him for half the
                          > race before the Super 7 got by; Dick finished 2nd. During Saturday's main
                          > race, Dick put on a tremendous display of driving by out-braking the Super 7
                          > around the outside of Turn 1 on lap two and led the race until the Super 7
                          > driver failed to make a clean pass (politely put) with three to go. Dick's
                          > car suffered some minor suspension damage which put an end to the weekend.
                          > Proving that getting older doesn't mean getting slower, Dick re-set his
                          > personal best by over a second this weekend (1.36.8 for those who know the
                          > track). The next fastest car to the Super 7 and Dick's TR was 4 seconds per
                          > lap slower.
                          >
                          > Thanks to Bob, Jim, Fred, and Don for the help all weekend. Looking forward
                          > to seeing you guys at the next race.
                          >
                          > Bob Adams

                        • Tony Adamowicz
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                            Thanks Don,

                            Saw he new owner Jeff Lewis Run the 2 liter 1968 Porsche 911  U27 tribute car at Infineon, putting it on a Porsche RSR 2.5  twin plug lightweight.

                            Old technology still works, Mods by Manor

                            " Keeping the Legends Alive "

                            a2z

                            "If you CAN dream it,
                            It WILL happen "

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
                              Thanks Tony,
                               Those guys are still playing. I bet it was cool to see an orange #7 when you were running the Eagle? Both cars (almost) at the same place must have made you feel pretty good?
                               Mac is out east travelling with his new gal, first wife, I may get to see him stop by!! I`ll let you know more as I find out how he`s doing.
                               Congrats on winning another championship, you and that car are still showing `em the rear end. AMF
                              All the best,
                                 Don