Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] A starting point for discussion

  • Bob Storck
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
      I have been wanting to reply, but absence and infirmity have kept me silent. I'm glad to see so muich of the exhage is in agreement with these thoughts.

      Cheers, Bob

      Steve Knoll wrote:
      1. Goals & Objectives

      What is it that we want to accomplish? We could do anything from
      cherry picking a few documents/photos to publish on the web up to
      doing a full-blown Marlboro History site along the lines of VIR. A
      couple of you have mentioned publishing projects you've considered
      in the past

      Do we start with something small & see where it leads us?
      I don't think we want to nor do we have what it takes to begin a museum. A museum is a headache regarding facility, staffing, insurance, etc, etc! On top of that, who would go to a Marlboro raceway museum?

      It seems to me that we should offer help to the DC region in cataloguing what they have, and use the website as a means of keeping this lore alive.

      2. Archival Integrity

      I hope Bob Storck will make some comments about this topic. The bad
      news is worrying about this adds some complexity to the project. The
      good news is worrying about this should add to our credibility with
      the DC Region, hopefully making access more likely & more flexible.
      Also it is a matter of personal honor & trust
      As mentioned above,  it is important that folks realise what exists. People will have more confidence in donating their "treasures" if they know that they will be protected and not pilfered.

      Two places have been siggested as placves where they could be stored and accessible for folks to study. Watkins Glen archives and Latimore, PA. I tend toward the first, as it seems to be more closely aligned with road racing. Perhaps someone can visit and check out the situation.
      3. Current Membership

      Currently the membership is small & with diverse & relevant skills
      as far as I can tell. The larger the membership the more difficult
      coordination & such become
      I'm of two minds here. I see the value of a small group to examine and guide archives, etc. but it is valuable to get widespread input.
      4. Additional Membership

      Bob has suggested an additional member, Gordon White, who has
      expressed an interest & has relevant skills. Perhaps Bob would like
      to expand on this a bit
      Apparently Gordon has joined and is a welcome addition. He has published many books on round track racing, most notably histories of Miller, Offenhauser and Kurtis. He has published a "Lost Race Tracks" book which includes Marlboro. He is an unofficial staff advisor to the Auto collection of the Smishsonian National Museun of  American History, and keeps our auto lore active there. He has colllected hundreds of drawings of Miller and Offy engines and cars, as well as National Speed Sport News. Welcome, Gordon!

      5. Resources/Skills Needed

      Obviously our goals & strategies will strongly influence where we
      want to go with adding to our membership
      Perhaps the greatest boon is the website that Steve and others have created on Marlboro. It keeps our interest alive.

      6. Relationship with SCCA

      Should we just be grateful to use their collection, or should we
      provide them with some level of service, i.e. helping them to
      classify & calalog their collection
      We should make it clear that we don't want to take over the archives but would be happy to advise and possible catalogue what they have.

      7. Leadership

      Since the work "on the ground" will occur mostly in the DC area, I
      would hope that some of the folks there would take a leadership role
      & we should think how those of us who are remote can assist support
      you
      I"m delighted that Phil Charlwood is a member as he is creative and his dad had a large part in creating the lore of Marlboro. Dave R. talked Phil into donating much of his holdings to the collection so Phil has a good sense of some of the holdings.

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006

        No Museum!

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Knoll" <sknoll@...>
          wrote:

          > No Museum!
          >

          > _____

          fond of Kick Englund's VIR site, but it's not interactive. I like
          that we can post our own photos, files, etc. I'm not sure I
          personally have a clear vision of what I'd want, not am I sure I can
          devote the time required for a more grandiose or formal effort -- at
          least for now. It started with the thought that folks who want to
          share memories of Marlboro cold do so. Let's see where that goes. We
          could always re-assess later.

          > 2. Archival Integrity
          >
          > I hope Bob Storck will make some comments about this topic. The
          bad
          > news is worrying about this adds some complexity to the project.
          The
          > good news is worrying about this should add to our credibility
          with
          > the DC Region, hopefully making access more likely & more
          flexible.
          > Also it is a matter of personal honor & trust
          >
          > As mentioned above, it is important that folks realise what
          exists. People
          > will have more confidence in donating their "treasures" if they
          know that
          > they will be protected and not pilfered.
          >
          > Two places have been siggested as placves where they could be
          stored and
          > accessible for folks to study. Watkins Glen archives and Latimore,
          PA. I
          > tend toward the first, as it seems to be more closely aligned with
          road
          > racing. Perhaps someone can visit and check out the situation.
          >
          > SL: I'm not sure I'd want the WDCR, SCCA to "hand over" the
          archives nor are we prepared to house them properly. Until we know
          what we're dealing with -- and we won't have any idea until Gayle's
          return in mid-march -- it strikes me as premature. Do we want to
          take care of it while it's in our use? Hell, yes.

          > 3. Current Membership
          >
          > Currently the membership is small & with diverse & relevant skills
          > as far as I can tell. The larger the membership the more difficult
          > coordination & such become
          >
          > I'm of two minds here. I see the value of a small group to examine
          and guide
          > archives, etc. but it is valuable to get widespread input.
          >

          > 4. Additional Membership
          >
          > Bob has suggested an additional member, Gordon White, who has
          > expressed an interest & has relevant skills. Perhaps Bob would
          like
          > to expand on this a bit
          >
          > Apparently Gordon has joined and is a welcome addition. He has
          published
          > many books on round track racing, most notably histories of Miller,
          > Offenhauser and Kurtis. He has published a "Lost Race Tracks" book
          which
          > includes Marlboro. He is an unofficial staff advisor to the Auto
          collection
          > of the Smishsonian National Museun of American History, and keeps
          our auto
          > lore active there. He has colllected hundreds of drawings of
          Miller and Offy
          > engines and cars, as well as National Speed Sport News. Welcome,
          Gordon!

          > 5. Resources/Skills Needed
          >
          > Obviously our goals & strategies will strongly influence where we
          > want to go with adding to our membership
          >
          > Perhaps the greatest boon is the website that Steve and others
          have created
          > on Marlboro. It keeps our interest alive.
          >

          > 6. Relationship with SCCA
          >
          > Should we just be grateful to use their collection, or should we
          > provide them with some level of service, i.e. helping them to
          > classify & calalog their collection
          >
          > We should make it clear that we don't want to take over the
          archives but
          > would be happy to advise and possible catalogue what they have.
          >

          > 7. Leadership
          >
          > Since the work "on the ground" will occur mostly in the DC area, I
          > would hope that some of the folks there would take a leadership
          role
          > & we should think how those of us who are remote can assist
          support
          > you
          >
          > I"m delighted that Phil Charlwood is a member as he is creative
          and his dad
          > had a large part in creating the lore of Marlboro. Dave R. talked
          Phil into
          > donating much of his holdings to the collection so Phil has a good
          sense of
          > some of the holdings.
          >

          > _____

          > Auto
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Auto+racing+supply&w1=Auto+racing+suppl

          y&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Au
          to+raci
          > ng+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=w82-
          Bdu4kPhccBWeiV4tHA
          > > racing supply
          >
          > Auto
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Auto+racing+suit&w1=Auto+racing+supply&

          w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Auto
          +racing

          +collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=oDXh7lEbMRLzW9_HZ
          1A81A>
          > racing suit
          >
          > Auto
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Auto+racing+game&w1=Auto+racing+supply&

          w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Auto
          +racing

          +collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=PTeuewYwR0FRatl5h
          GqC4A>
          > racing game
          >

          > Nascar
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Nascar+auto+racing&w1=Auto+racing+suppl

          y&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=Au
          to+raci

          ng+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=OKbjDUb23RgPDeP
          WTZ7k1g
          > > auto racing
          >
          > Auto
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Auto+racing+collectible&w1=Auto+racing+

          supply&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&
          w5=Auto

          +racing+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=myN3UdgRj3
          JxVKfZF
          > gTsdQ> racing collectible
          >
          > Auto
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Auto+racing+magazine&w1=Auto+racing+sup

          ply&w2=Auto+racing+suit&w3=Auto+racing+game&w4=Nascar+auto+racing&w5=
          Auto+ra

          cing+collectible&w6=Auto+racing+magazine&c=6&s=147&.sig=1KthwfIUdFxqV
          Bm0SQ3l
          > dw> racing magazine
          >

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS