Monterey Historic's - Group 44

  • toyphil@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 23, 2011

      Just a fun bit of Monterey Historic racing news. "Group 44 finishes 1-2,  first time since 1984"

      Two XJR's were racing in the GTP class. First place was Rick Knoop ( XJR 5 ) and my nephew Doug Smith was driving the second place (XJR 7).  I have been following the event thru Doug's Facebook posting. His first time at Monterey. Talk about a kid getting the keys to the candy shop.

      Phil Charlwood
    • glensullivan@cs.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
        What, no pics?
        Got a note from Tullius last week saying he would be there as a guest of Jaguar so he must have enjoyed that.
        Cheers,
                      Glen Sullivan

        Just a fun bit of Monterey Historic racing news. "Group 44 finishes 1-2,  first time since 1984"

        Two XJR's were racing in the GTP class. First place was Rick Knoop ( XJR 5 ) and my nephew Doug Smith was driving the second place (XJR 7).  I have been following the event thru Doug's Facebook posting. His first time at Monterey. Talk about a kid getting the keys to the candy shop.

        Phil Charlwood
      • Robert Hines
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
          Steve Knoll, ex crew guy, has a lot of pictures on his facebook.  All of the Group's car look like they were just built.

          Got a note from Tullius last week saying he would be there as a guest of Jaguar so he must have enjoyed that.
          Cheers,
                        Glen Sullivan

          Just a fun bit of Monterey Historic racing news. "Group 44 finishes 1-2,  first time since 1984"

          Two XJR's were racing in the GTP class. First place was Rick Knoop ( XJR 5 ) and my nephew Doug Smith was driving the second place (XJR 7).  I have been following the event thru Doug's Facebook posting. His first time at Monterey. Talk about a kid getting the keys to the candy shop.

          Phil Charlwood
        • Steven Benford Jr
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
            If you are on Facebook - check out Steve Knolls pics of the event.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011

              not to good at posting pic's but here is Doug & Bob. He looks pretty happy to me. If you go to Doug's Facebook page there are a ton of photos and a in car video of qualifying laps.  Steve Knoll was there so he sould have pic's on his website. I believe Bob was the one who said  " 1-2 finsh, first for Group 44 since 1984"

              Phil Charlwood

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
                Bob Tullius was a true pioneer in sports car racing right alongside Roger Penske, Pete Brock,Kas Kastner, and Bob Sharp.

              • Yuccaseed@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
                  So true,
                   Right place at the right time! A great part of Sports Car racing from grass roots to pro.
                  Glad to have been on the ride.
                   Don Breslauer
                • sbroethel@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 24, 2011
                    Great picture!  I remember when Bob started his racing career and shared his dreams of the future with me one day on the porch of the Marlboro Hilton. He achieved all of them and then some.

                    Sue Roethel

[...]

                  • charles doerge
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 26, 2011
                      Sue,    Sorry to intrude, but I just joined the Marlboro site and remembered I'm missing some information regarding Dave's 1970 SCCA Division points for a book I'm publishing. Not sure you could help, but decided to give it a shot anyway. In the NEDIV, Dave came in ?? place, while racing in the Washington, DC Region, with his Yenko Stinger with ?? points. I know Dave's car was YS081 and have a bit of information. If you wouldn't mind, I'll send a copy of the data sheet for the car for you to check out. It would be much appreciated..       Best Regards,    Charlie Doerge

                      www.yenkostinger.com
                      The first and original website for Yenko Stingers
                      Over 50,000 "hits" as of 3/11/2011!!
                      Still #1 on Google search engine

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 26, 2011
                        Charles you might want to contact Steve Lloyd who is also on this site.  He has a huge amount of DC region history and very likely would have what you want.
                        Bob Hines