off topic eye candy

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2011
      Gentlefolk,

      Ferrari Racing Days at Laguna Seca, wherein www.lapecord.com scoops the known universe with the true story of a Course Clienti customer eclipsing the absolute laprecord in a late model F1 Ferrari!

      In spite of ALMS & Champ cars the official track record is held by Helio Castroneves driving a Penske Indy Car in 2000

      Many very fast cars have run the circuit since

      As this record was not timed by the track, it is unofficial unofficial but highly accurate

      It was not as fast as Sebastian Bourdais unofficial record 1:05.880, but @ 1:06.225, it was well below the official track record

      www.laprecord.com

      the event formerly known as the Wine Country Special, now the Sonoma Historics, is up next week, stay tuned for more eye-candy
    • Erskine Kelly
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2011
        When you get to Sonoma, check out the town of Schellville.

        This is the ancestral home of Harry Schell.  Laury Shell's father was a leading citizen in this area, and the town is named in his honor.

        Laury Shell was married to Lucy O'Reilly Shell.

        As a widow, Lucy underwrote the entry of two Maseratis at the 1940 Indy 500.

        See

        Their son, Harry Schell, was a better than competent "gentleman driver" in the post WW-II years in Formula 1 and sports cars.

        Would love to know if anyone in Schellville knows who Harry Schell was?  Or his family, for that matter.

        Or readers of this page for that matter.

        Rick Kelly
        Oklahoma City

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2011
          sorry folks, fat fingered my site last night right after I posted the link

          customer service is now awake, so it has been fixed :)

          www.laprecord.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2011
            Aloha Rick,

            In December I went up to Schellville and actually drove through it twice.

            If you blink you will miss it. There is a small collection of scattered residences, but nothing that could be called a town.

            Very interesting that the Schells  maintained this as a "official residence." I doubt that Harry was ever there. His first visit to the US came in 1940 when he journeyed to Indianapolis with Rene Dreyfus, Rene Le Begue and Luigi Chinetti. The Le Begues returned to France, but the others stayed in the US. Harry enlisted in the US Army, but ended up  at a training base learning English.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2011
              Without checking my files (almost always a bad move), I think Harry may have visited his California family briefly - which would seem to be wise, given that Sonoma was the source of the wealth of his father - ala his father.  Lucy was very well off once her father passed away - she was an only child.  It paid the rent (and then some) for her adventures with her race teams.

              In Harry's page there is a great post-race photo of Harry and fans.  I think the enthusiastic lady facing the camera was Lucy - and Harry's brother may be the dude in the light raincoat to Lucy's right.  Harry is occupied with amore important task -  See:

              I am planning on editing the notes to get rid of the strange wanderings into statistical analysis.

              There is a small restaurant in or near Schellville - I tried a few times to talk to its manager to see if they knew who Harry Schell was, but they were always very busy - which suggests that it may be a good place to eat - unless you have a pit pass to the better teams' hospitality tents.

              I am currently working on pages covering the first legally organized road race ever - in July 1878.

              So much for the notion that the first road race was in France.

              This information started with a clue in a new book on the first Indy 500 - "Blood and Smoke" by Charles Leerhson - Simon & Schuster.

              I am 2/3 the way through it.  I recommend it highly - it is entertaining, informative, snarky in places, hilarious in others.  I have been looking carefully for errors, and there are very few, so far:

              Gil Anderson's correct surname was Andersen.  Ray Harroun's middle name was Wade, not Waid.  Anthony Scudalari's correct surname was Scudellari.  The "Official Results" have one major error - Bert Adams was a riding mechanic - he never drove the car in the race because AAA had refused to give him a license.  The car would have been disqualified if he had. [This last is confirmed by IMS's historian.]

              How far "off topic" are we allowed to go?

              Rick Kelly
              Oklahoma City

              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2011
                Aloha Rick,

                Attached are some images Harry Schell's mother and father.

                Laurey in the 1937 Monte, and Lucy, on the right and then in the center in 1937 and 1940.