Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] 1961 Marlboro Twelve Hour

  • Tony Adamowicz
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
      Sue,
      You are the BEST....without you nothing would have worked out

      " Keeping the Legends Alive "

      Cheers !  a2z

      "If you CAN dream it,
      It WILL happen "

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011

        All I remember about them is that the transaxles overheated and they tramped the inside rear all the way around the oval.  They didn't least very long.

        Cheers

        Don Greimel

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
          I assume that you heard Marie Williams died from a fast moving cancer but if not then you know now.  I saw Marie about 8 months ago and she seemed just fine and her normal self.  She will be missed.  I hope all is well with you.

          Rob and I were at VIR this past weekend and he got a 4th and a 2nd.  Also fastest lap in the second race and was on the pole in the first race.  We need to do more work on the car.

          Bob Hines
        • Ron W
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011
            I was at that race with the Volvo Distributing 544 which was basically stock. I remember the Pontiac's because of the problems with the trans-axle's. They started overheating and getting stuck in gear, don't remember at what hour it was. Smoky was really upset as they had not tested for a track that had so many gear changes per lap. At first they would scoot under the rear of the car and shoot a co2 fire extinguisher on them trying to cool them down. They even cut a hole in the trunk floor to pour water on them at pit stops. Smoky came to our pit to watch a few pit stops and was surprised how little we did at each stop. Changed drivers, filled fuel, cleaned windshield, changed drivers. He just shook his head and asked if it was stock. Volvo's were relatively new to racing at that time. The Pontiac's finally retired, don't remember at what hour. I might have some pictures, I'll look and post them if I find.

            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, dgreimel@... wrote:

            > All I remember about them is that the transaxles overheated and they tramped the inside rear all the way around the oval.  They didn't least very long.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Don Greimel

          • Ron W
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011
              I found 1 picture you nay want. I will try and post it in my photo album on here.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011
                There are a couple of photos in the Taz Rufty albums of interest

                I forget how we came by them, one of the members contributed them, with permission to post them here, I don't recall what, if any, restrictions on use applied to them

                Perhaps the contributor will chime in. Anyway, there are a couple in this album & possibly others in some of the other Tazy Rufty albums

                Steve K

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011
                  The Taz Rufty 3 album on this site has a couple photos

                  I don't recall who the contributor is, I seem to recall that Taz is long gone tho. They were posted here with permission, I don't know about wider usage beyond "personal use"

                  Perhaps the contributor will chime in. Personally, my philosophy is "ask permission" & when in doubt, don't repost elsewhere

                  Steve K

                  --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "cgaysu" <mmatune@...> wrote:

                  > Good Morning,
                  >
                  > For about the last year or so I have been researching the road racing Pontiac Tempests/LeMans of the early 60's...

                  ... any other information such as documentation, photos, programs, posters, race results, entry lists, rememberances, recollections, etc. they would be willing to share?

                  > Mike Matune
                  > 6121 Mountain Springs Lane
                  > Clifton, Virginia 20124
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  >
                  > Mike Matune

                • Mike Matune
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011

                    Steve,

                    I went through the photos on the Marlboro site and spoke with the contributor for the Taz Rufty photos. He was most accommodating.

                    Thanks, please let me know if you should find anything else.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 19, 2011
                      Thanx, Mike

                      Good luck, hope you find some good stuff, I've only seen those photos & maybe a couple more of the race, ever, would love to see more