Help with Washington DC Region SCCA Historian

  • Steve Lloyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
      Folks,
      Sometime in the next few months I would like to assemble a group of
      Marlboro Raceway/Washington DC region, SCCA veterans to identify and
      categorize the memoribilia bequeathed to the Region by the late Dave
      Roethel. The location will be somewhere in the suburban Washington,
      DC area. This meeting will not be adequate time to complete this
      task, but it's a start. It is possible -- not a guarantee -- that
      the Region may cover the hotel/motel expense. I'll know a little
      more once we have a core group identified.

      In my role as Historian for the DC Region, SCCA, I've had an early
      look at most of Dave's materials. Some photos have been extensively
      water-damaged (long before our current DC-area monsoons) and very
      few photos are identified. There are magazines, a few race programs
      and other print memoribilia. There are a number of Bill Dobbins
      photos
      of Marlboro events of the mid to late 1960s, but these are not as
      diverse as we might hope. There are loads of Venlo Wolfson's (the
      motorpsorts reporter from the Washington Post in the 1960s)
      corporate racing press photos, many of which are from NASCAR.

      I wish we could accomodate everyone who has an interest in these
      materials, but logistically, I must limit the group size and
      makeup. I've already spoken to some of you about this. Bob Houston,
      Dr. Lee Talbot and Rick Mandelson are a few of our local Marlboro
      veterans who've agreed to help in one form or another. Ultimately,
      perhaps I should say, soon, I want to begin the live interviews with
      as many of the old Lavender Hill Mob as we are able. These
      interviews will be recorded in one form or another (a court
      stenographer and/or videotaping are possibilities).

      If you're interested, please respond in this message forum. My Yahoo
      Marlboro e-mail is slloydmarlboro@.... Thanks in advance for
      your interest. This should be an exiciting adventure!

      Thanks,
      Steve Lloyd
    • Robert Rosen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Steve, since I'm local to DC and raced a few years at the end of
        Marlboro's life, I'll be happy to participate if needed. Won't cost
        the region anything.

        And I remember Venlo's columns from the Daily News way before he ended
        up at the Post.

        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lloyd"
        <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        > Sometime in the next few months I would like to assemble a group of
        > Marlboro Raceway/Washington DC region, SCCA veterans to identify and
        > categorize the memoribilia bequeathed to the Region by the late Dave
        > Roethel. The location will be somewhere in the suburban Washington,
        > DC area. This meeting will not be adequate time to complete this
        > task, but it's a start. It is possible -- not a guarantee -- that
        > the Region may cover the hotel/motel expense. I'll know a little
        > more once we have a core group identified.
        >
        > In my role as Historian for the DC Region, SCCA, I've had an early
        > look at most of Dave's materials. Some photos have been extensively
        > water-damaged (long before our current DC-area monsoons) and very
        > few photos are identified. There are magazines, a few race programs
        > and other print memoribilia. There are a number of Bill Dobbins
        > photos
        > of Marlboro events of the mid to late 1960s, but these are not as
        > diverse as we might hope. There are loads of Venlo Wolfson's (the
        > motorpsorts reporter from the Washington Post in the 1960s)
        > corporate racing press photos, many of which are from NASCAR.
        >
        > I wish we could accomodate everyone who has an interest in these
        > materials, but logistically, I must limit the group size and
        > makeup. I've already spoken to some of you about this. Bob Houston,
        > Dr. Lee Talbot and Rick Mandelson are a few of our local Marlboro
        > veterans who've agreed to help in one form or another. Ultimately,
        > perhaps I should say, soon, I want to begin the live interviews with
        > as many of the old Lavender Hill Mob as we are able. These
        > interviews will be recorded in one form or another (a court
        > stenographer and/or videotaping are possibilities).
        >
        > If you're interested, please respond in this message forum. My Yahoo
        > Marlboro e-mail is slloydmarlboro@... Thanks in advance for
        > your interest. This should be an exiciting adventure!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve Lloyd

      • mgamike
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2006
          Steve,

          I'd be interested in helping if possible. I don't want to speak for
          Phil, but I thought he was interested as well as he had contacted me
          about the very same subject back when the e-group was just forming.
          Phil and I are in close proximitly in Vienna, VA.

          Michael
        • tcooper@sprintmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
            Sounds great, Wish I were there to help.I  really enjoyed the good old days. Ted Cooper

            <slloydmarlboro@ ...> wrote:

            > Folks,
            > Sometime in the next few months I would like to assemble a group of
            > Marlboro Raceway/Washington DC region, SCCA veterans to identify and
            > categorize the memoribilia bequeathed to the Region by the late Dave
            > Roethel. The location will be somewhere in the suburban Washington,
            > DC area. This meeting will not be adequate time to complete this
            > task, but it's a start. It is possible -- not a guarantee -- that
            > the Region may cover the hotel/motel expense. I'll know a little
            > more once we have a core group identified.
            >
            > In my role as Historian for the DC Region, SCCA, I've had an early
            > look at most of Dave's materials. Some photos have been extensively
            > water-damaged (long before our current DC-area monsoons) and very
            > few photos are identified. There are magazines, a few race programs
            > and other print memoribilia. There are a number of Bill Dobbins
            > photos
            > of Marlboro events of the mid to late 1960s, but these are not as
            > diverse as we might hope. There are loads of Venlo Wolfson's (the
            > motorpsorts reporter from the Washington Post in the 1960s)
            > corporate racing press photos, many of which are from NASCAR.
            >
            > I wish we could accomodate everyone who has an interest in these
            > materials, but logistically, I must limit the group size and
            > makeup. I've already spoken to some of you about this. Bob Houston,
            > Dr. Lee Talbot and Rick Mandelson are a few of our local Marlboro
            > veterans who've agreed to help in one form or another. Ultimately,
            > perhaps I should say, soon, I want to begin the live interviews with
            > as many of the old Lavender Hill Mob as we are able. These
            > interviews will be recorded in one form or another (a court
            > stenographer and/or videotaping are possibilities) .
            >
            > If you're interested, please respond in this message forum. My Yahoo
            > Marlboro e-mail is slloydmarlboro@ ... Thanks in advance for
            > your interest. This should be an exiciting adventure!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Steve Lloyd

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.