Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Trees, billboards, virtual lap

  • tcooper@sprintmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31 7:27 PM
      Good evening Bill:

      I get messages from Col. Joe at least weekly, what are you driving? we live in Richmond, Tx. suburb of Houston. the young man in the house next door autocrosses a Pontiac, don't know what class. says that their tires are getting to high $$ very sticky but only last one season. Is Bill Platt still around? Do you know where Dave Koepel is? Sue Roethel  Sbroethel@... is in Atlanta, Ga. still works with SCCA.
       Margaret and I will- celebrate our 48 th anniversary come 22 June. any body else that we used to race/autocross with still around?
      Enough for now. More later
      Ted
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
        m. z. wrote:

        > I just wanted to show the shots of the virtual
        > Marlboro which I prepared for the track's electronic
        > debut.

        We've had some fun jibing about how scruffy Marlboro was, even in it's
        heyday. It caused me some pause, and since I get to a lot of tracks, let
        me consider the state of racetracks today.

        Probably Road America was the showplace back in my day, but Jim Truman
        caused everyone to stand up and take notice when he bought Road America
        and had it restyled in his Red Roof Inns theme. Then BMW influence
        caused Lime Rock to clean up and build new facilities. And while Pat
        Goodman was a genius for creating on the cheap, Bill Scott proved to be
        a visionary and I'm amazed every time I go to Summit Point. I almost
        miss that shaky old Race Control building.

        Has anyone been to Putnam Park near Indy? They don't run many events,
        mostly car club activities so have no pit and tech buildings but the
        place is landscaped more like a golf course than a race track. Yet I've
        been blown away by the refurbishing of the neglected, seedy and
        audaciously named Virginia International Raceway.

        But the marvel in my experience is the new Barber Motorsports Park near
        Birmingham, AL. It has wonderful buildings, including a five story
        Motorsports Museum. The cultivated grounds are festooned with pricey
        sculpture, and the story is that a Porsche club rented the track and as
        you could imagine, during the weekend a few of their members did some
        agricultural exploring. They were amazed to be presented with a $10K
        bill for landscaping damage!