Re: Dick Stockton in car video [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
      Great to see Tony & my old friend, the late great Peter Bryant at Watkins Glen

      Peter was the designer of the Ti22 Can Am car as well as a couple of the Shadows

      Singing Statchmo, no less :)

      We miss you Peter

      --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Sturgess <ajyes72@...> wrote:

      > Great video! We need another series that sounds like that.

    • Davd&Carol
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2011
        Aloha All,

        Great in car video. The MGB (C?) was a pain, but Stockton seemed unfazed.

        I remember him racing a Ferrari TRC (serial 0678 FWIW) in 1963 to 1965 period. I believe the car may have belonged to George Siomko out of Philadelphia. Stockton drove the TRC at Cumberland, Bridgehampton and Vineland in 1963 and Marlboro and Vineland in 1965. The car ran at Marlboro in April 1963, but I believe Siomko did the driving then.

        Kauai, Hawaii
        On 26 Dec 2010, at 16:18, Don Haines wrote:

        Hi all,
        I have noticed that whenever anyone talks about Dick Stockton, they always talk about him driving a TR-4.  I didn't become an "insider" until about 1968.  And I didn't start racing this the end of that year.  By that time Dick was driving a B Production Cobra and was a constant thorn in my side.  Simple math.. Cobra weighed hundreds of pounds less than Corvette.  So I never really had much chance to run heads up against Dick.

        Anyway, Dick should get some credit for herding that Cobra around. He was good at it.

        Don Haines

        Visit my Flickr site at:
        You can also link to me on Facebook at:  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001203609434

        To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com
        From: a2z_racer@...
        Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:41:56 -0800
        Subject: Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Dick Stockton in car video

        Greetings All,
        I hope everyone had a good Christmas, it was wonderful to see a veteran race driver like
        Dick Stockton in  his original TR4 go through the field in his race at the Glen 2009. Thank you for the you tube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5UweSaS3o

        FYI, the Original Misery Manor members were on hand , Rob Krokus, Jim Taylor and myself to watch this race from the grandstands above the pit lane   viewing Turn 1, 2, 3, 4

        Congratulation s to Dick Stockton for his persistence and Great drive in a true historic TR4.

        Wishing all a  very Happy and Healthy New Year !

        " Keeping the Legends Alive "

        Cheers   a2z

        "If you CAN dream it,
        It WILL happen "

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 10, 2011
          David,

          I'll ask him about the Ferrari next time I see him. There are a few people working on getting him a computer. If he figures out how to work it, he'll be on the list.

          That's a MGB. The Datsun 2000, Dick's TR, and the x-flow 1800cc Elva Courier (leading car that broke) were all on vintage bias ply tires and turned lap times within .2 of each other. The MGB uses a modern radial and turned a lap time 2 seconds faster... go figure. People can complain about SCCA, but at least there, everyone is on the same tire. So far SVRA has ignored requests for the cars with 15" wheels to use a modern radial (60 series sidewall rule), citing it would ruin the "vintage aesthetic".

          Cheers,

          Bob

          To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 10, 2011
            Aloha Bob,

            The MGB made a banzai pass than jumped on the brakes in front of Stockton. Stockton had already passed him twice, but the MG did open up a big lead, unless Stockton realised he was not going to overtake him anyway and just held position.

            Thanks I would be interested in the back story on the Ferrari TRC and what races he remembers driving it. Who was the owner? George Siomko, Ray Heppanstall (who drove it at Vineland in April or June 1963). I believe that Stockton was the mechanic on the car for Siomko.

            The races I have are:

            12 May 63 Cumberland #71 15th
            1 Jun 63 Bridgehampton #71 10th
            3 Nov 63 Vineland #73 8th EM3
            3 Jan 65 Marlboro #?? 3rd
            1 Sep(?) 65 Vineland 4 hr with Siomko #71  5th

            Other races:
            7 Apr 63 Marlboro #11 Siomko
            Apr or Jun 63 Vineland Heppenstall
            26 Apr 64 Vineland #?? Siomko

            Kauai, Hawaii

            To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 10, 2011
              David,

              The MGB had much better tires than everyone, hence why he could out brake the Triumph and use less track. Same goes for the Datsun 2000 driver who was also out driving the MGB, but turned a lap time 2 seconds slower.

              Feel free to give Dick a call at 609-399-4755 est. Most hours of the day are good.

              Cheers,

              Bob

              To: Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com