The Lavender Hill Mob

  • Ron W
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2010
      Do any of you have a list of the Mob who had a lot to do with the success of the SCCA in the Washington area. I know Dick Thompson, Roger Wing, Charley Wallace, Dave Roethel use to meet at the Pit Stop in Georgetown and at Charley's house in Bethesda. I just can't pull the other names out of my 76 year old brain right now. Sure wish I had taken pictures back then rather than wrenching on cars. Well, not really, had more fun with the cars.
    • Robert Hines
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2010
        Bob McKinsey (sp) was also a founding member.  He was a lawyer as I remember.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2010
          There was a cigar that wore a lavender suit . . . .

          See

          There had to be someone from Manhattan Auto who was involved.

          Was Fred Windridge involved?

          Does anyone recall a Russian mechanic who was a master of the Jaguar 120s and 140s?

          Who specialized in "balancing" the crankshafts?

          Who was the U. of Md. student who worked at Motor Imports, Ltd. with Frank Baptista -

          Until he screwed up on a simple task that caused Frank to have a DNF?  Frank fired him on the spot, and asked me later if I was ok with it.  I told Frank that the shop was his responsibility, and as likable as the guy was, he obviously did not understand the danger to a driver and others if the job was not done to perfection.

          Rick Kelly
          Oklahoma City

          On Dec 16, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Robert Hines wrote:

          Bob McKinsey (sp) was also a founding member.  He was a lawyer as I remember.

          Do any of you have a list of the Mob who had a lot to do with the success of the SCCA in the Washington area. I know Dick Thompson, Roger Wing, Charley Wallace, Dave Roethel use to meet at the Pit Stop in Georgetown and at Charley's house in Bethesda. I just can't pull the other names out of my 76 year old brain right now. Sure wish I had taken pictures back then rather than wrenching on cars. Well, not really, had more fun with the cars.

        • Erskine Kelly

          • Sam_Smith01@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2010

              Ace Rosner -- I see him at the Rockville Car Show each October this year with one of the new AMG Mercedes Gullwing Coupes

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2010
                Ace was one or one of the owners of the Pit Stop.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2010
                  Another pair of names come to mind from the mid-1950s -

                  The Cappiellos, "Cappy" and his wife,

                  and Jim and Cindy Robinson.

                  Rick Kelly
                  Oklahoma City