Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Suggestions for next Bill Dobbins photoset

  • Erik Zurbriggen
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
      To Steve:

      Which VIR and Cumberland events do you have photos of?

      Erik

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Erik Zurbriggen <erikzurbriggen@...> wrote:

        > To Steve:
        >
        > Which VIR and Cumberland events do you have photos of?
        >
        > Erik

        I haven't compiled a list yet, but in '68 there are photos of theVIR fall national,
        which I'm reviewing now & hope to post some photos next, Then they'll be an
        update to laprecord.com with USGP photos

        I do recall one other VIR & Cumberland event in prior years, I'm pretty sure
        I've posted some photos earlier in 66 & 67 albums. Cumberland photos are largely
        pretty bad, as I recall. There are some good ones in the 68 VIR event tho,
        photos soon

        I plan on creating a list of events, probably when I start scanning. Now that the project is about 3/4 done, it's time, so I'll get to it soon

        Then scanning will start again, for '69 & the early years of Summit Point
      • Erik Zurbriggen
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
          To Steve:

          Didn't you all ready return the '67 VIR and Cumberland DVD/CDs back to Steve L.? If you haven't yet I'm looking for photos of the #55 Cobra run by Gene Fisher at both the '67 VIR and 67' Cumberland Nationals.  It should be interesting to see what you've got for the '68 VIR and the upcoming '69 season with the early Summit Point races also.  By the way do you happen to know how many events were run at Summit Point for 1970?

          Thanks, Erik

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Erik Zurbriggen <erikzurbriggen@...> wrote:

            > "Didn't you all ready return the '67 VIR and Cumberland DVD/CDs back to Steve L.?

            If you haven't yet I'm looking for photos of the #55 Cobra run by Gene Fisher at both the '67 VIR and 67' Cumberland Nationals."

            I have copies of all the images & will be revisiting some of the 1966 & 67 events at some point.

            I know we have Cumberland in '67, as I posted a couple images in a 1967 Cumberland National album. There are only a couple there for now.

            Since then, I've gotten significantly better at enhancing the images. A good thing for that event. The images are all very dark. Most are also pretty far away & the average image quality is low, both photographically & technically, probably more so than any other event

            I don't even know if we have VIR for that year, but I will be compiling an index as my first task when the '69 images arrive & I get a feel for what they contain

            Then we'll have an index for all of the events covered by the archive, which will make things easier all around. I'll post it as soon as it is reasonably complete for 1969, so we will have '66, 67, 68 & 69 images & an index of events

            A database would be nice, but I expect that would take massive amounts of time

             "By the way do you happen to know how many events were run at Summit Point for 1970?

            > Thanks, Erik"

            No, I only started going to Summit Point a good bit later for a few years
          • Erik Zurbriggen
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
              To Steve:

              All right....lets see if you can work some magic on those slides....awesome.
              In reference to a database, what are you looking for (drivers, cars and general people in the background-in relation to photos)?

              Thanks, Erik

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                I haven't given it much thought, Erik, the idea of populating a database gives me a headache. A BIG headache

                1st there are the sheer number of images, I'm guessing upwards of 10,000 by the time we're done. The vast majority of drivers/cars are unidentified & there are often multiple cars per image

                Event/date is the only thing I can think of which is relatively easy. Just creating a list of the images would be extremely time consuming in itself

                --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Erik Zurbriggen <erikzurbriggen@...> wrote:

                > To Steve:
                >
                > All right....lets see if you can work some magic on those slides....awesome.
                >
                > In reference to a database, what are you looking for (drivers, cars and general people in the background-in relation to photos)?

                I have started a spreadsheet that will list events & cross reference to DVD. So far I'm just playing around with the layout, one sheet per yer, I think.

                I'll play around with it a bit tonite, then switch to posting VIR images