1956 6 hour race

  • terryoneil308
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
      Can anyone please tell me the precise date of the 6-hour race held at Marlboro in 1956?
      I have the article from Sports Car (July-August issue)and have seen a reference in the Washington Post from June 10 to a race in May, but neither states a precise date.
      Anyone please?
      Kindest regards
      Terry
    • Erskine Kelly
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
        According to the lavender and black checkered flag that Tex Hopkins autographed and mailed to me for winning the GP race driving the infamous Fairthorpe Electron, the date is shown as 12 May 1957.

        The Fairthorpe also drove in the 6-hour race that same Sunday. I drove the first stint, turned it over to Art Tweedale, after which the transmission failed. I drove the sick, smoking car across the finish line at the end of the event.

        I had to fly to Canada to get the only replacement transmission available on the continent at the time; we needed to be sure that it would fit the Fairthorpe. I got mugged in NYC on the way back. Frank Baptista fixed the Fairthorpe. I sold the car, along with the inventory of Motor Imports, Ltd., to the even more infamous Continental Motors, paid Motor Imports bills and moved to Oklahoma. En route to Oklahoma I drove in a race at Shreveport, LA, with my Morgan - dnf.

        OR

        12 May 1957 if you want a simple answer.

        Rick Kelly
        Oklahoma City

        PS

        I AM STILL LOOKING FOR DATES OF DEATH OF CHARLIE WALLACE AND DICK LORD.

      • Erskine Kelly
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
          PS:

          You said 1956?

          It is my vague recollection that the 1957 event was the first "endurance race" at Marlboro.

          Am I out to lunch?  Senile?

          On Oct 26, 2010, at 10:26 AM, terryoneil308 wrote:

          Can anyone please tell me the precise date of the 6-hour race held at Marlboro in 1956?
          I have the article from Sports Car (July-August issue)and have seen a reference in the Washington Post from June 10 to a race in May, but neither states a precise date.
          Anyone please?
          Kindest regards
          Terry

        • Terry Oneil
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
            Hello Erskine,
            Sorry, but there was a 6-hour race in 1956, as reported in the SCCA magazine, Sports Car......but no indication of when it was run.
            Enjoyed hearing about your 1957 exploits though.
            Kindest regards
            Terry

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
              Hi Erskine,
              Just following up on your first e-mail.
              It looks as if you were a prolific racer, as you rightly say you won your race on May 12 1957.
              However, that was not the weekend when the 6-hour race took part, that was on 16th June. You were also at that meeting where you finished second to Art Tweedale in Race 2, then drove with him in the 6-hour race.
              Would you per chance have any entry lists for 1956 or 1957 for any of the Marlboro race meetings?
              Kindest regards
              Terry

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
                The first 6 hour race at Marlboro took place on Sunday April 22, 1956. Billed as the "Les Six Heures De Marlboreux", it was won by Fred and Pinky Windbridge in a Jag 140. This information came from the Washington Post dated April 23, 1956.

                Hope this helps,
                Larry Jendras Jr.

              • scshmoo@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Hi Terry,

                  I have 16 June 1956.

                  David

                  terryoneil308 wrote:

                  > Can anyone please tell me the precise date of the 6-hour race held at Marlboro in 1956?
                  > I have the article from Sports Car (July-August issue)and have seen a reference in the Washington Post from June 10 to a race in May, but neither states a precise date.
                  > Anyone please?
                  > Kindest regards
                  > Terry

                • Terry Oneil
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 27, 2010
                    Hi Larry,
                    Many thanks, that is a great help to me. I had been through the Washington Post for the month of May, though never thought it would be earlier than that based on the scant information that I had. Much appreciated.
                    Kindest regards
                    Terry

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2010
                        Hello Bob,
                        Not sure of that. When I visited the Martin Luther King library they only offered me the Washington Post. I note that the Baltimore County Library offers the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun and the New York Times.
                        I'm sure someone in the Washington area is far better of to answer your question. Anyone?
                        Kindest regards from England

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 27, 2010
                          Hi Bob,

                          It was the Washington Daily News and it was a Scripts paper.

                          It folded in the 1980s I think.

                          Ev Gardner was writing his columns in the 1950s and provided the most consistent
                          and thorough coverage of automobile racing at the local D.C. area events.

                          I've noted several checking the Post archives ... do archives for the Washington
                          News exist? If so, I'd suspect they might be more consistent.

                          At least by the mid-60s, Ev Gardner was attentive in covering auto racing while
                          the Post ignored a lot of National races. We were lucky to get box scores for
                          pro races, and if
                          they were a few states away, they came with the frequency of Canadian hockey scores.

                          Cheers, Bob
                        • Jon Mello
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
                            I have been able to search for old copies of the Washington Daily News through my local library. They get the microfilm through the Library of Congress. I'm not sure that same service would be available to someone in England but that's what I have been able to do. I am currently reviewing December '67 through February '68.

                            Jon Mello
                            Lompoc, CA

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010

                              Hello Jon,
                              Unfortunately that particular service is not available to the UK. I wonder if when you have finished on the section you are working on you could look up the report for the 1956 6-hour race for me please.
                              Many thanks
                              Terry