Sunbeam Rapier 12hour race; Gene Hobbs, Dick Nash, Pete Van der Vate

  • steven
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
      I have a friend who owns the Sunbeam Rapier which was raced
      at the 1961 12-hour event. (A picture of it is in the Taz Rufty 3 folder) It had been the factory car that had been raced on the west coast by either Peter Proctor or Paddy Hopkirk.

      He's looking for information on Gene Hobbs, Dick Nash, and Pete Van der Vate. (I believe Gene Hobbs passed away) Any background information on these drivers would be appreciated.

      Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?

      Steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
        Pete is very much around. He is a member of this forum. I beleive, but cannot say with certainty, that Dick Nash passed away in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Perhaps another member of the group can comment.
        Steve Lloyd

        I have a friend who owns the Sunbeam Rapier which was raced
        at the 1961 12-hour event. (A picture of it is in the Taz Rufty 3 folder) It had been the factory car that had been raced on the west coast by either Peter Proctor or Paddy Hopkirk.

        He's looking for information on Gene Hobbs, Dick Nash, and Pete Van der Vate. (I believe Gene Hobbs passed away) Any background information on these drivers would be appreciated.

        Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?

        Steve

      • Peter van der Vate
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
          Steve,
          I think you are right, Dick Nash passed away in the early 70's.
          I had the pleasure of working with him at Fowler Motors in Arlington during the 60's. (or as Harden and Weaver used to say "Fort Fowler")

          Pete van der Vate

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "steven" <milano164@...> wrote:

            > Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?
            >
            > Steve

            The Bill Dobbins archives starts in 1966, so no luck there

            I would love to see photos from any of the early 12 hours

            If anyone has old photos of these events, please share

            If you have some you would like scanned, prints, negatives or slides, we would like to talk to you about it

            Steve K
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
              Steve,
              I think it shows clearly in Dave Roethel's DVD of that race, as I recall. In order to provide a digital version, I'd have to capture it from video. I'll try to do that and post it on our Photo page. They won't be very hi-res images, but I suppose soemthing is better than nothing.
              Steve L.