Seen at the Coronado Speed Festival

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2010
      Photos from Coronado on www.laprecord.com

      Copy to follow soon

      There were a couple cars in particular of interest for Marlboroistas

      A very nice reproduction of Bob Sharp's 1966 Datsun 2000 & a later Bob Sharp Racing Datsun 610. The latter is not a reproduction, but a real one that never raced. It was used for display at dealerships & as a backup, but was never pressed into service

      Off to Infineon this weekend for The CSRG Charity Challenge, so more photos & more updates to laprecord.com

      At that point the season is pretty much over & back to the Dobbins project. Hope to finish scanning by the end of the year & then will focus more on projects involving the archives, including more posting here, off season updates to www.laprecord.com & whatnot

      Steve K
    • steven
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
        I have a friend who owns the Sunbeam Rapier which was raced
        at the 1961 12-hour event. (A picture of it is in the Taz Rufty 3 folder) It had been the factory car that had been raced on the west coast by either Peter Proctor or Paddy Hopkirk.

        He's looking for information on Gene Hobbs, Dick Nash, and Pete Van der Vate. (I believe Gene Hobbs passed away) Any background information on these drivers would be appreciated.

        Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?

        Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
          Pete is very much around. He is a member of this forum. I beleive, but cannot say with certainty, that Dick Nash passed away in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Perhaps another member of the group can comment.
          Steve Lloyd

          I have a friend who owns the Sunbeam Rapier which was raced
          at the 1961 12-hour event. (A picture of it is in the Taz Rufty 3 folder) It had been the factory car that had been raced on the west coast by either Peter Proctor or Paddy Hopkirk.

          He's looking for information on Gene Hobbs, Dick Nash, and Pete Van der Vate. (I believe Gene Hobbs passed away) Any background information on these drivers would be appreciated.

          Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?

          Steve

        • Peter van der Vate
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
            Steve,
            I think you are right, Dick Nash passed away in the early 70's.
            I had the pleasure of working with him at Fowler Motors in Arlington during the 60's. (or as Harden and Weaver used to say "Fort Fowler")

            Pete van der Vate

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
              --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "steven" <milano164@...> wrote:

              > Any chance there are more images of the Rapier at the Marlboro 12 hour event in 1961?
              >
              > Steve

              The Bill Dobbins archives starts in 1966, so no luck there

              I would love to see photos from any of the early 12 hours

              If anyone has old photos of these events, please share

              If you have some you would like scanned, prints, negatives or slides, we would like to talk to you about it

              Steve K
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
                Steve,
                I think it shows clearly in Dave Roethel's DVD of that race, as I recall. In order to provide a digital version, I'd have to capture it from video. I'll try to do that and post it on our Photo page. They won't be very hi-res images, but I suppose soemthing is better than nothing.
                Steve L.