1968 Capitol 100 Formula Vee race

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
      I'm going through the images from this event & there were other formula cars, production cars & even a few sports racers

      I can't access the full sized scans of the articles

      Can anyone tell me something about this event?

      We have images of 2 regionals & 1 national, plus the Marlboro 300, There are a couple more unidentified events as well

      There are some very cool images & I'll try to get a photo posting from this event together by the weekend
    • larryj300
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 2010
        According to a Venlo Wolfson article in the Washington Post of Aug 16, 1968. MCDANIELS STICKS TO PLAN, WINS MARLBORO 100-MILER.
        Jim McDaniels of Arlington won the 100-mile road race for Formula Vee cars yesterday by a seven second margin. Harry Ingle of Charlotte, NC finished second and John Magee of Rochester NY was third. The pole winner was Bill Scott of Washington. Scott was forced out with mechanical problems after holding a 20 second lead. 23 cars finished out of the 35 car field. Scott and McDaniels won the preliminary 7.2 mile races and Lee Talbot of McLean, Va. won the 8.7 mile consolation.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 25, 2010
          Thanx Larry,

          Anything on the support races? It looks like there were at least 3. A small & big bore sporty car race & a FB/FC race

          I don't imagine it was a regional, as we already have photos from 2 Regional events & I think that is all there were

          --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "larryj300" <larryj300@...> wrote:

          > According to a Venlo Wolfson article in the Washington Post of Aug 16, 1968. MCDANIELS STICKS TO PLAN, WINS MARLBORO 100-MILER.

          > Larry
        • larryj300
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
            Steve,
            There was no other classes in the story. Last night I checked the Baltimore Sun and no other information there, although they did give the top 10 in the Formula Vee race.

            Larry

            --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Knoll" <sknoll@...> wrote:

            > Thanx Larry,
            >
            > Anything on the support races? It looks like there were at least 3. A small & big bore sporty car race & a FB/FC race
            >
            > I don't imagine it was a regional, as we already have photos from 2 Regional events & I think that is all there were
            >
            > --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, "larryj300" <larryj300@> wrote:
            > >
            > > According to a Venlo Wolfson article in the Washington Post of Aug 16, 1968. MCDANIELS STICKS TO PLAN, WINS MARLBORO 100-MILER.
            >

            > > Larry

          • Robert Hines
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
              I am sure that this race featured Volkswagens because I had been talking with VW America and more specifically Mid-Atlantic VW for over a year about their sponsoring a race for Formula V with a cash award.  Finally after 5 or 6 meetings they convinced VW America to come up with $3,000 and a nice trophy named after them and the race was on.  They did it again at Summit Point a couple of years later.    The two guys I was meeting with were mostly concerned with having meetings in downtown Washington at expensive restaurants where they always ordered from the top of the menu.   And thats the rest of the story.
              Bob Hines

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
                True enough, but there were support races. See the GT album for many of the usual suspects, Wenger Racing, Jim Netterstrom, The Heishman's 911R & more in a big bore GT group as well as a small bore group & some FBs & Cs

                & half the Formula Vees in the NE

                I doubt that it was a Regional & for sure not a National

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
                  Looks like practice & race groups were different, but it appears that H,G,F & EP ran with D, C & B sedan, D, C, B & A production ran with D, C & B SR & all not V Formula cars ran in a small group. There may have also been a V race besides the feature Capitol 100

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
                    I was there that weekend and still have the dash plaque someplace. The Capitol 100 was the feature and there were the usual races for all classes before that.
                    Steve L.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
                      Did it count for Regional points, or just an excuse to go racing? Like we need an excuse to go racing :)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                        Don't recall.

                        Did it count for Regional points, or just an excuse to go racing? Like we need an excuse to go racing :)

                        --- In Marlboro_Raceway@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Lloyd <slloydmarlboro@...> wrote:

                        > I was there that weekend and still have the dash plaque someplace. The Capitol
                        > 100 was the feature and there were the usual races for all classes before that.
                        > Steve L.

                      • george denny
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 28, 2010
                        Hello Steve--I noticed that this is a different e-mail address from what you were using earlier, so am sending the two photos to you here also.  I had sent a longer message to your other e-mail. Thanks again for your help earlier today.  Best wishes, George