Re: [Marlboro_Raceway] Re: Tiger driver

  • Erskine Kelly
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010

      On Jun 18, 2010, at 12:55 AM, scshmoo@... wrote:

      Hi,

      Donnelly was resident at Harps Mill Rd, Taneytown, Md according to the SCCA 1966
      members directory.

      The date of this Thompson race escapes me. It has been called a National. The
      traditional Thompson National was Labor Day weekend. By 1968 this date had been
      given to Bryar.

      I do not find a Thompson date in June or September 1968. Have not looked
      further. Can anyone be more specific as to the date of this event?

    • Marcus Buzz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
        it was a Natl as I was there.

        The Buzzman zoooooman along

        A newspaper headline for this accident was June 9, 1968 which was a Sunday. The practice crash may have been Saturday.

        Larry

      • scshmoo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
          Hi Larry,

          Thank you for the information.

          This was Connecticut so no racing on Sunday. The accident may have been on
          Saturday in a race.

          I will see if I can find a race report.

        • scshmoo@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
            Aloha,

            Ralph H. Donnelly was Jr.

            His father (Sr.) was bron in 1910 and lived in Maryland all his life (6 Mar 1910
            to 4 Nov 2003).

            Ralph, Jr. does not appear in the SSDI.

          • scshmoo@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
            Hi All,

            Attached is the Thompson race report.

            Message 6 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
              Buzz is right. Group 44 was there too, along with all the National regulars. No way would we be going to Thompson for a Regional.

              Also, I agree that the car was yellow, though a pale yellow.

              That was the first time I ever saw anyone killed in person, so it made an impression